• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hans-Peter Ording

• bphollin

• menick

• Uffuffa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should just release the Savannah and Terracotta as part of legacy or something, and keep them in their regular line.

To the collectors here, how would you feel if Lamy re-released the Savannah Green and Terra Red?

They're great colors, especially the green. More people should have and use them!

• 9 months later...

Was there a matte Safari that looked matt black when viewed on it's own, but was actually a brown/black. I am not sure if this was a 'special' colour or what it's official Lamy name was.

It is confusing as there was a Charcoal Safari, but charcoal IMHO ought to be a black with some suggestion of grey from looking at the barbecue fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The mystery Safari I saw was not a Charcoal.

This pen could have been confused for a black pen, but seen side-by side with a black Safari it was a v dark burnt umber.

It was two years ago at least I saw this pen on the auction site & then it was withdrawn.

I wondered whether it was a 'special' or the Umber Safari. I would like to have the Umber shade and a true black side by side.

How long has Umber been a official colour?

• 3 months later...

The mystery Safari I saw was not a Charcoal.

This pen could have been confused for a black pen, but seen side-by side with a black Safari it was a v dark burnt umber.

It was two years ago at least I saw this pen on the auction site & then it was withdrawn.

I wondered whether it was a 'special' or the Umber Safari. I would like to have the Umber shade and a true black side by side.

How long has Umber been a official colour?

The Umbra (official name) and the charcoal are the same. The latter is often used in the English speaking parts of the world.

The Umbra is one of the earliest colours that were available for the Safari. It is only available in matte. The black matte version is a special edition from 2018. The glossy black is a regular colour.

• 11 months later...
On 2/3/2008 at 12:38 AM, wege said:

So what colour would this model Safari be called?

I just call it la lime or lemon-yellow green.

edit- Oh blast.. I just looked at the image.. and notice that I took a shot of the side that does NOT have Lamy on the end of the barrel. Doh. Btw, the nib is Medium.

post-12982-1201999041_thumb.jpg

Maybe it’s time to bring this very interesting post from 2008 all the way to 2020. I only do this because I have FINALLY received official confirmation from Lamy central that this was indeed a special release. And I quote, “This was made a very long time ago for a distribution partner in Colombia as a special model” (received from Lamy.de)

Independently, I have received the following from a previous Lamy employee regarding this pen, “Long story short: I used to work with LAMY for more than 10 years in a management position. Every now and then mayor corporate customers or markets ask for a "special" exclusive edition colour. Some of them like the "Swedish" or "Japanese" safari are realized, others are not. This safari/AL-star combination didn't make it, for whatever reason. Initially (maybe) some Japanese corporate customer's idea, don't remember. Tipically, after rejection, these "speculative samples" may or may not remain in the drawers. In this case, my drawer.

In addition, I have now acquired two of these pens and can confirm that they are a slightly different colour to the regular Lime 2008; they have a more grassy/yellowy green. 

I will therefore discuss this with @christof to see if we should now add it to our comprehensive table of Lamy Safari fountain pen releases, which can be found here and is occasionally updated:  

3 hours ago, Uffuffa said:

Maybe it’s time to bring this very interesting post from 2008 all the way to 2020. I only do this because I have FINALLY received official confirmation from Lamy central that this was indeed a special release. And I quote, “This was made a very long time ago for a distribution partner in Colombia as a special model” (received from Lamy.de)

Independently, I have received the following from a previous Lamy employee regarding this pen, “Long story short: I used to work with LAMY for more than 10 years in a management position. Every now and then mayor corporate customers or markets ask for a "special" exclusive edition colour. Some of them like the "Swedish" or "Japanese" safari are realized, others are not. This safari/AL-star combination didn't make it, for whatever reason. Initially (maybe) some Japanese corporate customer's idea, don't remember. Tipically, after rejection, these "speculative samples" may or may not remain in the drawers. In this case, my drawer.

In addition, I have now acquired two of these pens and can confirm that they are a slightly different colour to the regular Lime 2008; they have a more grassy/yellowy green. 

I will therefore discuss this with @christof to see if we should now add it to our comprehensive table of Lamy Safari fountain pen releases, which can be found here and is occasionally updated:  

Hi Chris

If it is a Safari, it belongs to the table, uf it is an Al Star not. Lets talk back channel.

C.

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2018 at 1:34 PM, rodja said:

To the collectors here, how would you feel if Lamy re-released the Savannah Green and Terra Red? How about any other special edition?

I guess I was prophetic in here. 

The reason why I asked this question back in 2018 is because I had acquired the Dark Lilac and the Pretrol and kinda liked them. 

I really like the safari as a pen and the matte finish with dark accents in particular. It's both esthetically pleasing and an excellent writing tool. 

I have since forked more money in FPs and the gain you get from from $30 to $100+ is minimal. I honestly think that anything after the lamy 2000/custom 74 is just a waste of money (and I have wasted money).

Anyway, at the time I decided you know what. I am gonna collect these dark/matte safaris with the idea that I would never get the savannah and terracotta because there were $500 on ebay.

So I bought the All Black, the Asian brown with bear.

Flash-forward today, I bought the reissued terracotta and savannah.

Since basically the only one missing at this point was the griso, I (with a lot of shame) forked $130 to buy a NOS on ebay, which I am sure I am gonna regret next year.

Now I am thinking, I could buy the Acquamarine/Mango/Violet. They are also matte, buy they don't speak to me the same way.

Ok, I don't even know why I wrote this. I needed to express my feelings on this matter.

PS As long as it's not dark/matte, we are good!

On 12/7/2020 at 9:19 AM, Uffuffa said:

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2012 at 10:18 PM, cbbp said:

Here, I managed to capture the textures a bit better.

Two matte/textured, one shiny/smooth Alpin:

post-34844-0-35658900-1347225274.jpg

post-34844-0-78139300-1347225277.jpg

post-34844-0-45173700-1347225280.jpg

Such a pity that some of the old photos in this thread don't seem to exist anymore.  I've been looking for images of the textured Alpin and here I've found a reference to one from @cbbp but the photos are nowhere to be found :(  Were such images deleted during the platform upgrade?

11 hours ago, Uffuffa said:

Such a pity that some of the old photos in this thread don't seem to exist anymore.  I've been looking for images of the textured Alpin and here I've found a reference to one from @cbbp but the photos are nowhere to be found :(  Were such images deleted during the platform upgrade?

I don’t come here often nowadays, but I still have them! I’ll dig them out :) just give me some time (or I’ll take new ones). Don’t know why they are gone though.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:17 PM, Uffuffa said:

DB58E239-204D-4C19-8A79-6C459A01E95A.jpeg

6CE623CC-D028-4D7F-B7BC-FF99D3C8B9B1.jpeg

New shots taken just now. Easier than digging out the old ones after all. iPhone photos, and still not easy to capture. The matte texture is smoother than the current matte, even though the pens are unused. (The two pens on the left in 1st photo / two bottom pens in the second photo are matte)

Edited by cbbp
To merge 2 related posts