Shawn Newton Denim Pen

stevlight

So Shawn Newton makes great pens and made me a pen I called the Big Black Beauty or BBB. It is one of my favorite pens. I have a very nice flex nib in there from John Mottishaw--Love it!! So when the TWISBI Micarta came out and Shawn said he was going to try to make a pen out of black denim I jumped at the chance to get one like the BBB but in Micarta.

So Shawn makes this great pen for me--shipped without a nib--I have this sweet flex nib all lined up to go into it and when I get the pen-- I crunch the nib--ruined --has to be straightened--frustration ensues. I have been trying different nibs since, but none have worked well. The Denim Micarta started to frustrate me--only because I could not find a nib that would work for me in it. I put the pen away--went back to using the BBB.

I just was going through a parts box and found a silver colored steel nib--I have no idea where it came from. I think, well, it will look good with the silver clip of the Denim Micarta. I put it in and this pen just sings!! I love it. It is more for writing but with all the end of the year reports and such I have to write, I will be using this baby alot.

The Denim micarta is warm with a slight texture that I really like. The grey color is almost silver and looks great with the retro silver clip. The size and shape is very ergonomic for my hands and makes this a very comfortable pen to use. It can be used as an eyedropper or convertor or cartridge. I probably will be using carts for the next few weeks so if I run out of ink in a meeting I can just pop in another cart and keep writing. The pen has a nice weight with out being too heavy. The cap posts very securely--I actually sent it back to Shawn asking for it to post a little deeper then it originally did--He was happy to oblige. Shawn is great to work with on getting the pen just how you want it.

The great thing about this pen is that a kid also got a fantastic fountain pen to use and own.

I think the micarta is a great material for fountain pens and if Shawn decides to make micarta out of fabrics people give him, that have sentimental attachments to them, then he really will have something special.

OK here are the pics of this beauty:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5337/7233834268_d4d406e9e9.jpg

DSC03897 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7233834868_4509b7e3c9.jpg

DSC03898 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5156/7233835604_f98c0af111.jpg

DSC03899 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7239/7233836176_c07731cb8f.jpg

DSC03900 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5344/7233837004_feb70418c7.jpg

DSC03901 by stevlight, on Flickr

It is next to a Mont Blanc 149 in the above pics.

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• ticoun

• stevlight

• Moondust

Wow look at the size of it!! It's very unique, have you gotten any comments on it yet?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Veeeeeeery nice!

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

That's very nice, almost Rubinesque. The clip is a great choice. The micarta almost looks chased. Has the section stained from filling the pen?

Dude that's awesome! Great photos!

And thanks for the comments everybody.

A couple points about laminated fabric - very time consuming to make the blanks, and VERY tough on my drills and saw blades. I was surprised at how hard my table saw had to work to cut the block down into smaller size blanks.

Something like denim doesn't take much material to get 6 or 8 blanks. I was given a box of ties, and using about 20 of them got enough silk layered up to make one cap. It was even more time consuming than the denim and a bit more difficult to work with b/c of how thin it is. I rounded off the blank in my lathe out of curiosity and it's pretty cool. Lots of little ripples of color in there. :)

Has the section stained from filling the pen?

No no so far--but I am mostly using cartridges of late. It does not look like it will though.

www.stevelightart.com

For staining - I think this depends on how I finish the piece. With this I used a lot of CA (super glue) as I was turning, to help hold the tiny fibers down - but it also acts as a sealant, too. Many turners use CA as a clear coat with all of their pens, but I can't stand the fumes. Burns my eyes and really bothers me - so I just sand and polish as fine as I can. It might not be as deep and shiny as it could be, but it's pretty good.

For this denim I just sanded as fine as I could go and skipped the polishing. It didn't make any difference on my test piece.

I was given a box of ties, and using about 20 of them got enough silk layered up to make one cap. It was even more time consuming than the denim and a bit more difficult to work with b/c of how thin it is. I rounded off the blank in my lathe out of curiosity and it's pretty cool. Lots of little ripples of color in there. :)

Now THAT would be an interesting picture to see...

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Excuse my ignorance, but what is micarta exactly?? Thanks :)

Micarta is basically a composite material where textile is soaked up in resin, compressed and cured to obtain a solid material. Carbon fiber and fiberglass could be considered as forms of micarta.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

I was given a box of ties, and using about 20 of them got enough silk layered up to make one cap. It was even more time consuming than the denim and a bit more difficult to work with b/c of how thin it is. I rounded off the blank in my lathe out of curiosity and it's pretty cool. Lots of little ripples of color in there. :)

I sneak into this thread sometimes hoping to see the picture of the 20-tie-micarta-pen-cap.... :ph34r:

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

I sneak into this thread sometimes hoping to see the picture of the 20-tie-micarta-pen-cap.... :ph34r:

Yeah! Pics or it didn't happend! :P

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

I was looking for it last night so I could take pics...

and I have no clue where I put it. I'll find it and snap a shot soon hopefully.

We'll all do lots of more or less superstitious stuff hoping it will help you find it.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones