New Goulet Exclusive Ink?

Jimmy James

Is it comparable to Eel blue for lubrication?

I haven't tried the Eel Blue yet but I would guess the Eel would be better in that respect. I am curious how the Liberty's Elysium blue compares with the Eel blue.

Liberty's Elysium is different shade of blue than Eel Blue. I really like it a lot as I am a big fan of blue inks. As Brian G said in his review of it, it is really close to =regular Noodler's blue. I'm so glad to finally have a bullet proof ink in a blue like this. :)

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrsGouletPens

• Jimmy James

• Ghost Plane

• pen2paper

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7289944382_6bc95eee2f.jpg

Here's a little scribble to show the new "Liberty's Elysium" blue ink. I used a couple vintage semi-flex pens for a little test: an Ideal Commando XF and a Redi-point (shown) metal pen with a XXF nib.

I thought this photo was a little better than I usually get so I thought I'd post it.

When I refer to a falsetto; that's what I call the line you get from the other side of the tip.

The broad (brush) strokes are from the nib ink slits. I use them as brush strokes in some of my drawings (hold the pen like a piece of chalk or charcoal). Ideal, Moore Maniflex and Wahl nibs have gentle curves that work well. Many modern pen nibs are shaped differently and can't do that. I also only do that with a wet feed so the metal doesn't drag across the abrasive paper.

"Grunion Lemingston" is my little cartoon guy I doodle to test out my flex nibs.

Best, Chris :happyberet:

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Got mine today. I like it. Hard to say using different pens, but to me looks like Noodler's Blue. Noodler's Blue is my favorite ink color, so this is good from my perspective. I wrote a paragraph with the two colors, and the switch-over point was not obvious--looked like one paragraph, though it was a different pen, so I can't be sure they would have looked quite so similar using the same pen. Eventually I will find that out. The real difference came out when I later soaked the paper in water. The Noodler's Blue lifted away almost entirely, the Liberty's Elysium remnant was a clear, well-defined, sky blue.

Time will tell, but I rather doubt this ink is going to stain pens permanently. When I filled an empty cartridge with it, the ink coated the stainless steel needle like bulletproof inks like to do, so I suppose there's a possibility that a residue will seem to stain something until it is simply wiped off or otherwise cleaned effectively. The bulletproof nature of it seems in keeping with the example of Bad Belted Kingfisher, though, which in my experience doesn't tend to leave residue as much as Bad Blue Heron or Noodler's Black.

Edit: As I play more with it, I think Liberty's Elysium may be shifted slightly more away from green than Noodler's Blue. I think "true blue" is not a useful concept, but just thinking about the color spectrum, I'd definitely place Liberty's Elysium a little to the left of Noodler's Blue. So if you thought Noodler's Blue looked too "greenish", Liberty's Elysium will be a step in the right direction for you (which is to say, a step to the left, towards violet and away from green), but not a big step. If you are acclimated to Waterman Florida Blue or something similar and think that is "true blue", it's still going to be well to the right of that.

Edit2: Ah, I might be wrong about the "residue". It did leave a the Pilot cartridge looking fuchsia-tinted. I didn't try anything but tap water to rinse it and used a q-tip to wipe most of it out. Let me try with some ammonia... All clean. It wasn't a "stain" at all, but it might indicate a little bit of a cleaning challenge in some cases. Next time I'll just try using Noodler's Blue afterwards.

Pictures???? And thank you for your analysis!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I got my bottles Saturday also, and was dying to lather up 2-3 pens and go to town, but have family and friends....so I'm sneaking a quick look and post now that all normal people are making dreams.

I only have time now to fill a Lamy Medium, but did test it on Staples copy paper, Ampad Gold Fiber tablet, The Wall Street Journal paper !!!, and Staples Eco Sugar Cane tablet. It did not feather on any of them. Very good about not bleeding unless I flexed the nib to increase ink on the copy & newspaper. Flows very nice with this nib. There is that aforementioned clinging of the top of the nib (wipes off with wet tissue).

This is a wonderful blue color and great shading. Especially impactful for a signature with a broad nib, as I look at the note from Goulet--very striking appearance. Of course it is lighter than my PPS, and not as neon-like as BSB. Have to test it in more pens to fully appreciate it, but do not see that flow will be a concern....and to have a non-feathering permanent blue is a huge attraction. I have a strong feeling that this will become a mainstay, check signing, always on hand blue.

First impressions--Home Run way out of the park.

OOH!!! I'm excited. Feel like posting your samples later?

Oh and what is "PPS"?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7289944382_6bc95eee2f.jpg

Here's a little scribble to show the new "Liberty's Elysium" blue ink. I used a couple vintage semi-flex pens for a little test: an Ideal Commando XF and a Redi-point (shown) metal pen with a XXF nib.

I thought this photo was a little better than I usually get so I thought I'd post it.

When I refer to a falsetto; that's what I call the line you get from the other side of the tip.

The broad (brush) strokes are from the nib ink slits. I use them as brush strokes in some of my drawings (hold the pen like a piece of chalk or charcoal). Ideal, Moore Maniflex and Wahl nibs have gentle curves that work well. Many modern pen nibs are shaped differently and can't do that. I also only do that with a wet feed so the metal doesn't drag across the abrasive paper.

"Grunion Lemingston" is my little cartoon guy I doodle to test out my flex nibs.

Best, Chris :happyberet:

Thank you!

BTW, do you think it is chalky?

Thank you!

BTW, do you think it is chalky?

I think perhaps my photo makes the ink look chalkier than it is. I don't think of it as chalky. It can do some nice shading.

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Pictures????

Sorry. I think the only new information would have been seeing Noodler's Blue and Liberty's Elysium together on the same page, but since I'd used a different pen I thought the results might be misleading. I'll think about re-doing it with the same pen, though it might be several days. Doesn't seem at all chalky to me, BTW.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

It is beautiful, but that is a very long drying time!

On Apica and BlacknRed paper, very short to normal drying times. So far, so good.

Is it comparable to Eel blue for lubrication?

I haven't tried the Eel Blue yet but I would guess the Eel would be better in that respect. I am curious how the Liberty's Elysium blue compares with the Eel blue.

So far I'd say the lubrication of Liberty is just OK, probably not that close to Eel Blue in that particular sense. However, now that I see it under standard fluorescent lights, Liberty is clearly less green and more vibrant than the Noodler's Blue writing samples I have with me at the moment.

After all the brouhaha we've been through with Liberty's Elysium recently, I just thought I would add this observation...

It's a PRETTY color.

I was just writing a letter today and showing off to my pen pal what LE looks like, and I couldn't help noticing how attractive it is on the Rhodia pad. Keep in mind, I don't even like the look of Baystate Blue (too harsh on my eyes) or Luxury Blue (too dull), but when I look at LE the word "pretty" is what pops into my mind.

Tony, do you have a demonstrator?

How well does it flush out.

I haven't used it enough yet to give you any firm answers, except to say.... It doesn't seem to be a funky ink like Texas Blue Bonnet or La Reine Mauve. It doesn't smell funny, and it seems to be well-behaved, as far as I can tell, and I have no reason to suspect it's going to stain anything. It hasn't stained the converter in my Taccia Merit. I haven't tried it in the TWSBI 530 yet, though.

Loved the color, but was frustrated by the draggy feeling in my B nibs. Not to worry. I hauled out my M1000 O3B and heaven! :cloud9: The nib is so wet that nothing will slow it down and the color is more glorious in supersaturation on the page as that huge nib pushes it about. :clap1:

Sometimes you just gotta find the perfect combination. Who knew Paperblanks would have such awesome paper??? :yikes:

Loved the color, but was frustrated by the draggy feeling in my B nibs. Not to worry. I hauled out my M1000 O3B and heaven! :cloud9: The nib is so wet that nothing will slow it down and the color is more glorious in supersaturation on the page as that huge nib pushes it about. :clap1:

Sometimes you just gotta find the perfect combination. Who knew Paperblanks would have such awesome paper??? :yikes:

I also really love the color. It does not stain the Lamy converter in my med nib Al Star. I transfer my "working inks" to the 7ml Goulet vials and fill pens from there. I added a drop of pure glycerine, and a touch of dish soap (let a drop hit and coat the outside tip end of my pipette then dipped the light coating it in the 7ml vial--maybe this was a fifth of a drop?). After gentle inverting of the vial a bunch of times, I draw up with nib submerged, expel back, and draw up again. It now writes and flows as beautifully as Blue Eel.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I added a drop of pure glycerine, and a touch of dish soap

Thanks for the tip!