New Goulet Exclusive Ink?

Jimmy James

I actually am excited for it. I've really been wanting to get a waterproof, "true" blue ink, and honestly I haven't been able to find an ink that meets these criteria. There are water resistant inks like Namiki Blue, but most of the "classic" waterproof blue inks are iron gall, and are grayish, blue-black, or faded looking blues, not vibrant blues. I know Noodler's has Luxury Blue that's fairly vibrant, but it's a more expensive ink. Unless I'm wrong, this seems to be the first fully waterproof, vibrant blue ink, and it's only $12.50 for 90 ml's. It's exactly what I've been looking for. Count me in for a bottle (as long as it behaves decently well, and doesn't feather a lot).

First off, kudos to Nate and the Goulets for the new ink. I'm sure it has appeal to many. However, to be honest, I'm not surprised that it is blue. Moreover, nor am I overly thrilled. Obviously I need to try it before a judgment, but I'm not rushing off to order a sample. I like the idea of it, but it doesn't seem that interesting. Sure, it may be a practical ink, a workhorse even, due to its bulletproof characteristics, but something just says to me... mehhhh. I have Noodler's Blue Eel, but this new ink doesn't seem that different enough for me. That said, I'm VERY interested in seeing the reviews by FPN members.

Am I nuts? Anyone else feel the same way.

Respect to all. I don't mean to be a party popper. I just say what's on my mind and expect others to do the same too.

Edited by drwright

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MrsGouletPens

• Jimmy James

• Ghost Plane

• pen2paper

Just ordered mine! I have been waiting for a true bulletproof blue, since a 2007 water spill on notes made with Noodler's Blue. What was left was totally illegible.

I tried Luxury Blue and Namiki, which were too muted. Tried Polar Blue, which feathered in every season but outdoor writing in the winter. Tried Legal Lapis, Navy, Aquamarine, BBH and BBK -- no true blue for any of these. I am excited as well! This ink could really be a big, big winner! Kudos to the Goulets!!

Regards,

Eric

Edited by Rugrat

a decent permanent blue ink finally :thumbup:

Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.../JFK

Respect to all. I don't mean to be a party popper. I just say what's on my mind and expect others to do the same too.

Totally understand. I don't often care about water resistance, let alone being "bulletproof" because most of what I write is for temporal use, but I'm looking right now at a note my wife (whom I'm trying to encourage to use the fountain pens I bought her--and it's been an uphill battle) wrote with the ISBN of a book in Noodler's Blue. She has once before complained about the damage that a little water can do to anything she writes in fountain pen ink, but she is partial to that color and a few others, none of which are water resistant. Unfortunately, the number she wrote on this note is partially obscured now because some water got on it, no doubt from my own hands as I returned to my desk from the sink with some recently cleaned pen. After I noticed that, I looked up the ISBN again, wrote it down next to the damaged part of the note, and ordered some of this new ink. Honestly, I can't think of any possibility that would have pleased me more than what this new ink appears to be. Will have to see first hand if it's all that.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

So the permanence is the ticket here. Makes sense then. Kind of like why we all love Noodler's black so much. I understand now.

I just wish there could be a high-shading, permanent ink. ;)

Can't wait to see everyone's reviews!

---

Wanted: Waterman 52 1/2 V

Awww, Diz...why did you have to say that? High shading, I am such a sucker for high shading. (or loud...so vulgar).roflmho.gif

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

MMM, interesting.

I was contemplating getting Eel Blue until I heard this was coming. When your ink arrives, I'd be interested in any opinion that compares the reported "smoothness" of eel to Liberty.

Lots of wants, limited funds!

First off, kudos to Nate and the Goulets for the new ink. I'm sure it has appeal to many. However, to be honest, I'm not surprised that it is blue. Moreover, nor am I overly thrilled. Obviously I need to try it before a judgment, but I'm not rushing off to order a sample. I like the idea of it, but it doesn't seem that interesting. Sure, it may be a practical ink, a workhorse even, due to its bulletproof characteristics, but something just says to me... mehhhh. I have Noodler's Blue Eel, but this new ink doesn't seem that different enough for me. That said, I'm VERY interested in seeing the reviews by FPN members.

I agree. This ink looks similar to Platinum's pigmented ink (that I already have). That ink is permanent too.

If I wouldn't have a "workhorse blue" yet, then I would be much more interested in this ink.

Nevertheless, if there happens to be a sample of this Liberty's Elysium in one of the Ink Drops, I would not mind that at all and love to compare this ink with Platinum's. Scans/videos can be so deceiving.

I agree. This ink looks similar to Platinum's pigmented ink (that I already have). That ink is permanent too.

If I wouldn't have a "workhorse blue" yet, then I would be much more interested in this ink.

Nevertheless, if there happens to be a sample of this Liberty's Elysium in one of the Ink Drops, I would not mind that at all and love to compare this ink with Platinum's. Scans/videos can be so deceiving.

Hmm, kudos here. I love the bottle design, and the bulletproof properties, but I'm more partial to inks with quirky traits like sheen/super-shading/color-changing/neverbeforeseenhues/etc. This ink seems to be more pragmatic, professional, and practical. And I've always been a blue-black/blue-indigo/blue-insert-color-here kind of person.

Sometimes, blue is just too blue. (Does that make sense?)

Nonetheless, congrats on the newest release, and looking forward to more surprises in the future! It was fun being kept in suspense. :D

Sheen junkie, flex nib enthusiast, and all-around lover of fountain pens...

I have Platinum Pigmented Blue and I do not think it looks anything like Liberty's Elysium. I'm still on the fence about getting a bottle of the latter, since I do not know if it will look good from a fine nib. Still, a good permanent blue that isn't washed out, extremely dark, or purple-leaning is welcome.

Robert.

I've placed my order.

I've searched long and hard for my ultimate blue ink. Luxury Blue was a nice color, but it lacked saturation and bled too much, plus it's expensive. Noodler's Blue was close, but it feathers just a bit more and shades a bit less than I'd like. Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet was also close (really my favorite thus far) with great shading, but it's a "high maintenance" ink that requires extra attention -- plus I have to order it from Dromgoole's, which is a bit inconvenient.

And that's where things have stood until now. I'm really hoping that this new blue will be the Holy Grail of blue inks that I've sought for so long. But you know, the devil's in the details. So... We'll see.

I'll admit that I'm sort of in dizzymizzy's camp.

I'm interested, but I'm not rushing out to corner the market in it. Not yet, anyway.

I still have a bunch of samples i haven't tried yet, including BSB and KTC. While I will definitely be putting in an order soon, I'm holding out for a couple of weeks (I'm waiting for Diamine Sargasso Sea to finally actually be on the market), and then debating whether to actually spring for a full bottle of both it and Liberty's Elysium (since the swab in the Ink Nouveau video does look a lot like PR American Blue) or hope for being able to order samples. There are some other inks that are fairly new that I'm also hoping for samples of as well -- and those are enough more expensive that I'm not sure I want to get full bottles without seeing if I like them well enough. I'm almost willing to risk it with Liberty's Elysium, but since I *do* have a bottle of PRAB I'm still waffling (I'm a Libra, so waffling is kinda my middle name to begin with....) :rolleyes:

Mind you, there are some samples I've already tried that have definitely made the short list.... :thumbup:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I was not going to order a bottle since I have been using my 2 favorite blue inks lately, … Navajo Tourquoise and Iroshizuku Kon-peki. Neither of these is bulletproof. I went to the site and waffled as to whether order or not … then I had a moment when I blacked out … don't remember what happened next … I can't be held accountable for my own actions if I don't remember, right?

The email I received claims my order has shipped, it appears someone ordered a bottle of Liberty, a Clairefontaine Clothbound notebook and an Edison Nouveau Encore Fountain Pen in Blue Agate.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Ravantra, sounds like a match made in ... well, MA and VA... and OH. Also France, but inspite of that :cloud9:

I was not going to order a bottle since I have been using my 2 favorite blue inks lately, … Navajo Tourquoise and Iroshizuku Kon-peki. Neither of these is bulletproof. I went to the site and waffled as to whether order or not … then I had a moment when I blacked out … don't remember what happened next … I can't be held accountable for my own actions if I don't remember, right?

The email I received claims my order has shipped, it appears someone ordered a bottle of Liberty, a Clairefontaine Clothbound notebook and an Edison Nouveau Encore Fountain Pen in Blue Agate.

I ordered Liberty specifically for my Encore (also Blue Agate).

The plan is:

Edison Nouveau Encore - Liberty Elysium

Edison Pearl LEE - Noodler's Walnut

Edison Herald Grande B&B - Noodler's Blue/Black

Stupid me ordered a Pilot 823 to go with that Liberty Elysium order.. not sure what color ink will reside in that pen yet... anyone have suggestions? lol. Amber colored pen, perhaps I need an amber colored ink.

Snagged a few bottles of Liberty. Looks fantastamundo!

OOH how does it compare to BSB?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I've placed my order.

I've searched long and hard for my ultimate blue ink. Luxury Blue was a nice color, but it lacked saturation and bled too much, plus it's expensive. Noodler's Blue was close, but it feathers just a bit more and shades a bit less than I'd like. Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet was also close (really my favorite thus far) with great shading, but it's a "high maintenance" ink that requires extra attention -- plus I have to order it from Dromgoole's, which is a bit inconvenient.

And that's where things have stood until now. I'm really hoping that this new blue will be the Holy Grail of blue inks that I've sought for so long. But you know, the devil's in the details. So... We'll see.

I understand.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Hmm, kudos here. I love the bottle design, and the bulletproof properties, but I'm more partial to inks with quirky traits like sheen/super-shading/color-changing/neverbeforeseenhues/etc. This ink seems to be more pragmatic, professional, and practical. And I've always been a blue-black/blue-indigo/blue-insert-color-here kind of person.

Sometimes, blue is just too blue. (Does that make sense?)

Nonetheless, congrats on the newest release, and looking forward to more surprises in the future! It was fun being kept in suspense. :D

:thumbup: If I get too close to that shade of blue, I start to look jaundiced, but this is certainly something folks have been wanting for awhile now. Kudos to the Goulets for having it produced.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.