Noodler's Neponset Test Flight

krz

I've been using a pre-production Noodler's Neponset flex pen for a short while now (via the Artist Prize contest)and I'm getting comfy enough with it to share an initial impression.

The pen is large, about 5 1/2 inches I think.

The nib is a bit larger than the nib in the Ahab pen.

The plunger filler looks to be exactly the same size as the Ahab and holds a good amount of ink.

This is also designed to work as an eye dropper filler. I haven't tried that yet but it would hold an immense amount of ink. I bought a teaspoon eye dropper for when I try that out.

This pen is mostly ebonite in a jet black finish with chrome trim but I've seen other pictures posted of nice patterns as well.

This one hasn't been immune to the feed issues but I have it writing nicely now. It is re-production so I expected to do some finessing.

I am used to vintage style flex, but I don't like putting my vintage nibs to rough art papers and I don't like to use dip pens if I don't have to. This pen provides enough flex that I don't worry what paper I'm using and I don't look longingly at my vintage pen cup either.

I prefer fat pens for my larger hands when drawing or writing. This one really fits the bill.

I do more doodling and sketching/drawing than writing. This "Blimp" pen is my new go to art pen.

I'm curious about what the other Neponset blimp pilots have to think of their new Artist prize pens.

Here's a little test doodle from the Neponset on rough sketch paper. Sorry, no scanner:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7241/7166980358_ba42721fac.jpg

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krz

• pictogramax

• discopig

• New_Falcon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The line variation is truly impressive!

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

Really nice looking pen.

Is it possible to put up a picture showing the nib?

What's your opinion on the flexy'ness of the nib?

Thanks.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

That is a regal pen. The wife is going to kill me if Noodlers keeps bringing out cool pens.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

Love the sketch, love the lettering, may have to get this pen.

How much pressure needed to flex?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Really nice looking pen.

Is it possible to put up a picture showing the nib?

What's your opinion on the flexy'ness of the nib?

Thanks.

Yes pienaar, it's a doozie.

New Falcon and Sailor Kenshin. I'd say it's pretty darn close to the amount of flex of my vintage wet noodles. It does take a little more effort to get it out but it doesn't strain the Neponset nib to give it up. It's stiff enough to make a good jotter but give it a little more pressure and you're rewarded with good flex. Sorry I don't have any practical measurements.

I can't really comment on how it might behave for our calligraphy artists as I'm sadly not one of them, but I hope to hear what they think too.

Here's a pic next to the Ahab for comparison:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8012/7167447598_36653443bb.jpg

Edited by krz

I'd say it's pretty darn close to the amount of flex of my vintage wet noodles.

Oh my.

:drool:

http://i53.tinypic.com/vrzs7l.png

Awesome examples! I wish Nathan, in addition to making the Neponset more flexible, would make it an extra fine tip. Even if it cost twice as much as an Ahab I'd buy it.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Would the nib fit in the Ahab?

Then of course, I wonder if one can buy the nib seperately?

• 1 year later...

This is mighty interesting for a fellow sketcher like myself. Hope I'll put my paws on it one day. Thank you for these initial impressions!

VERY nice drawing.

Just got one at the New England Pen Show for a new friend (from here on FPN) and expect that once he gets settled in with it he will post a nice review.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

• 5 months later...

Yes and no. As an official distributor/dealer, I can confirm that the pen is not for public sale yet due to revisions to the nib for flexing the 3 tine music. However, for those who attended the New England Pen show, a limited number were for salen with a non-flex music nib.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

Here is the walnut swirl ebonite (I call it) Neponset with flex nib. It is between a MB146 and a 149 for comparison.

It does not have the music nib as it was probably not ready back when I won the pen.

post-71237-0-61882600-1386741287_thumb.png

Edited by oldcards

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard any updates on this pen? Someone asked about it in the Goulet Q&A two weeks ago, but Mr. Goulet didn't have any new information.

Great interview Brian, you really know how to get Mr. Tardif chatting, I always learn something.

I'd like to see the Neponset up and flying. I still love mine and may need a new Music nib version.

Thanks brgmarketing and pictogramax.

Pictogramax your artwork is amazing!

Great to see it will be available soon. Thanks for the interview, Brian, and compliments, krz!

I enjoyed the interview. I was in the contest, so I'm hoping for a prize, maybe even one of the music nibs! I've always been curious about music nibs.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!