Nemosine Singularity

Osmaroid

The body of the Singularity appears identical to the shell and cap of the Itoya roller ball. The Itoya has an insert in the barrel that prevents the use of the supplied converter. The section screws into the Itoya body perfectly and the roller ball section screws into the Singularity body. Perhaps an explanation of the thread placement on the section.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• Osmaroid

• LizEF

• Miles R.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The body of the Singularity appears identical to the shell and cap of the Itoya roller ball. The Itoya has an insert in the barrel that prevents the use of the supplied converter. The section screws into the Itoya body perfectly and the roller ball section screws into the Singularity body. Perhaps an explanation of the thread placement on the section.

If you have done these experiments, I am perplexed as to what Itoya rollerball you are talking about. The only such pen that I can find on the Itoya Web site is the PaperSkater, shown here, whose design is completely different from that of the Nemosine Singularity. From the photographs I can see that the cap does not screw on, the section grip is much longer, and the clip is inserted into the cap rather than affixed to it by a crown.

If you have done these experiments, I am perplexed as to what Itoya rollerball you are talking about. The only such pen that I can find on the Itoya Web site is the PaperSkater, shown here, whose design is completely different from that of the Nemosine Singularity. From the photographs I can see that the cap does not screw on, the section grip is much longer, and the clip is inserted into the cap rather than affixed to it by a crown.

The pen body and cap castings are exactly the same as the Singularity except that the cap on the Itoya is press fit. The Question was raised why the cap screwed onto the section on the Singularity, since the base pen (the Itoya) was a press fit with no machining for the screw on cap it appears that it was easier to design the section for the screw on cap. I noticed the similarity because I have the Itoya in my pen case next to my Singularity. And yes the section and cap are diferent, but clearly have the same parentage.

The caps on both pens have inserts that correspond with the nib/section, but the dimensions and fabrication appear to be the same, like a Camero and a Firebird.

Edited by tspin46

I am leary of making it an ED. The way the threads are done, it is too easy to accidentally unscrew the barrel instead of the cap. Happened to me once already so no ED for me.

It seems to me that one could only do that if one had the cap screwed on to the section more tightly than one had the section screwed into the barrel. Screwing the cap on tightly is a bad idea in any case with this pen, as, to judge from earlier posts in this thread, it runs the risk of cracking the base of the barrel. (It seems to be a weak point in the pen's construction that the metal ring was placed just above the base of the cap rather than on it.) I have been taking care to go easy in replacing the cap on mine, although, as I said, for the time being I am only using a long cartridge rather than filling the barrel itself.

By the way, Ivan, your use of "ED" as an abbreviation of "eyedropper" is not the signification with which I am accustomed to seeing that abbreviation used. :lol:

:headsmack: :embarrassed_smile: The meaning of the abbreviation did not even cross my mind.

Well, on the cap being tight. It seems that may be the cause of cracked caps. Mine was tight from the get go. It does seem to loosen up if you don't tighten it down a bit. No cracks on mine that I can tell but I am still not making it an eye dropper filler or EDF. (Is that better?)

• 1 month later...

Just an update - I bought 7 of these (great gifts) and only had to work on the nib a little bit on one. The others were all buttery smooth out of the box. Contrary to an earlier report, I have had no trouble with start-up, even after leaving a pen unused for several weeks, it started up immediately.

Recently, I noticed that xFountainpens now sells them direct, with a wide range of nib choices, and so ordered an extra fine a week ago. It arrived yesterday, now packed in a simple light card box just like a noodlers pen - the nice presentation box is apparently no more! This is the first Nemosine that I recieved that DID need quite a bit of nib work. The tines were nicely aligned, but it caught a bit on horizontal strokes and needed rounding a bit and smoothing with 3 micron abrasive film before polishing with 0.3 micron film. It is now a good writer for an extra fine, even though it is not as buttery smooth as the Nemosines with fine nibs. I also have a medium and a Calligraphy (.6mm) on order - the 0.8mm sounded just too wide for me. I will let you know how they perform when they arrive.

I have not tried using the back of the nib to get extra fine, but at 15 bucks, why not just order another with an extra fine nib?

As for me, I discovered, during the meeting of the Boston Pen People this past weekend, that if you drop a Nemosine pen from a high table to a hard floor, it will break into pieces. However, since taking the pieces home, I have been studying them and I believe that I can glue them back together, once I get some super glue.

I tested it with the nib flipped. It does need to be polished up. It is really scratchy and an EF line.

+1

It will write a very fine line but it's not exactly a pleasurable experience. As others have mentioned you can now get the Nemosine with an EF nib.

X-Fountain pens ( no affiliation ) is having a sale on Nemosine nibs until August 31st.

20% off with coupon code NEMNIB20

As I posted over in Market Watch, I just yesterday received a Nemosine Singularity along with some spare nibs from <xfountainpens>. The pen's now fitted with the .6mm nib and it writes great (like a smooth cursive italic or even a stub--fyi, the .6mm and .8mm nibs are untipped). In fact, I'm more impressed with the nib than I am by the pen, and the pen's not bad at all. If it turns out that these Nemosine nibs fit other brands, I'm going to order several more of the .6mm and .8mm size. Thanks for the head's up on the sale.

I

X-Fountain pens ( no affiliation ) is having a sale on Nemosine nibs until August 31st.

20% off with coupon code NEMNIB20

The pen's now fitted with the .6mm nib and it writes great (like a smooth cursive italic or even a stub--fyi, the .6mm and .8mm nibs are untipped).

I'm glad to hear that you like your .6mm nib. I ordered one too and should have it soon.

Please let us know if you have any success using these nibs in other pens.

I was going to guess that the Nemosine nibs are slightly small than the Knox but I've just done a side-by-side and I think that the color difference initially threw me off--it turns out they're exactly the same size. The Knox is two-tone with "KNOX" and "GERMANY" engraved on it (without, unfortunately, any indication of size). The Nemosine nib has "N" over the design and "MADE IN GERMANY" along with the size of the nib (in this case "0.8") beneath the design. Accordingly, any pen that takes the Knox nib should take the Nemosine.

I was going to guess that the Nemosine nibs are slightly small than the Knox but I've just done a side-by-side and I think that the color difference initially threw me off--it turns out they're exactly the same size. The Knox is two-tone with "KNOX" and "GERMANY" engraved on it (without, unfortunately, any indication of size). The Nemosine nib has "N" over the design and "MADE IN GERMANY" along with the size of the nib (in this case "0.8") beneath the design. Accordingly, any pen that takes the Knox nib should take the Nemosine.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to try the new nib in my Konrad.

Mnemosine...goddess of memory, mother of the Muses.

Actually, it's spelled "Mnemosyne." I suspect that the spelling "Nemosine" is taken from Italian. The stress, of course, falls in the same place either way, namely the second syllable: nə-'moz-ə-nē or nə-'mos-ə-nē.

I can't complain about the Nemosine Infinity. I ordered one off of Amazon for $15 (free shipping) and just recieved it in the mail. The nib is pretty smooth, the pen looks good and I haven't had to adjust it. I would say mine is a touch on the wet side (a great thing) and well worth the money.

Some more pictures: Nemosine Infinity Graphite on Flickr

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." --Terry Pratchett

http://jamesthebard.net/files/signature_small.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've got two, one Cardinal red and one Ivory. The red one has a cracked lid! I will e-mail xfountainpens and see if I can a replacement lid.

I've got two, one Cardinal red and one Ivory. The red one has a cracked lid! I will e-mail xfountainpens and see if I can a replacement lid.

Good news, they will replace it free of charge!