Is Edelstein Tanzanite The New Pelikan Blue-Black?

stefanv

Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black is a classic ink with a loyal following among many fountain pen users. It is deep blue-grey in colour, shades nicely on most paper, and perhaps most importantly, is a fairly dry ink that works reasonably well on poor quality paper used in office copiers and Moleskine journals. Unfortunately, some time in 2011, this ink became unavailable in North America, leaving its many fans searching for a substitute.

2011 also saw the introduction of Pelikan’s Edelstein series of “boutique” inks, available in a variety of colours. The initial offering did not include a blue-black, but in 2012, Pelikan added Edelstein Tanzanite to the line. This ink is available in North America, and many users have expressed the hope that it would be a replacement for the regular blue-black.

Since I happened to have a freshly opened bottle of 4001 Blue-Black (purchased in Germany in December) on my desk, I contacted Goulet Pens about obtaining a sample of Edelstein Tanzanite for an in-depth side-by-side comparison. Brian Goulet thought that was a cool idea, and graciously sent me a pair of vials for these tests...

The complete comparison, using four different pens on seven kinds of paper, is on my web site at www.stefanv.com/pens/pelikan-blue-black-and-edelstein-tanzanite.html but here's one of the scans (this one on Moleskine paper):

http://www.stefanv.com/media/2012/04/moleskine.jpg

And here are my concluding remarks from the comparison:

Is Pelikan’s new Edelstein Tanzaninte a viable replacement for the discontinued (in North America) 4001 Blue-Black? It depends. These inks are definitely not the same, but they are far more like each other than any other two inks I’ve ever used. Their colours are close, but the Tanzanite is marginally darker. The inks’ behaviour on decent quality paper is very similar, and the writing feel is about the same.

Unless you are writing in a Moleskine journal or on cheap office paper, I would consider these two inks suitable substitutes for each other. If, like me, you travel to Germany frequently, you may want to stick with the 4001 Blue-Black simply because it is far less expensive. If that is not an option, or you prefer a slightly upscale ink in a fancy bottle, then you can’t really go wrong with the new Edelstein Tanzanite either.

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stefanv

• Laura N

• The Good Captain

• doggonecarl

A good review of two excellent inks. I presume the 4001 is still readily available here in Great Britain as I've quite a few bottles so haven't had to buy any recently. I like the Tanzanite too and feel that it's just that bit smoother. But of course, it's also more expensive - over double the price (per ml) than the 4001. Both have their uses but I still like the 4001.

fpn_1326363020__pelikan_4001_blue-black.jpg

fpn_1332952503__pelikan_edelstein_tanzanite.jpg

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

What an excellent comparison. Thank you for posting this.

It might be my monitor, but your Tanzanite appears bluer than my Tanzanite. Mine really puts the black in blue black.

I totally agree with your conclusion that they look similar, in the end. But I still prefer the bluer Blue Black to the blacker Tanzanite. It seems to behave better on bad paper, as well. Also, the price is better. :)

Thanks for the excellent comparison. It does leave one wondering just where the extra value is with the current trend of more expensive inks, compared to everyday inks -- maybe only the bottle.

Nice consideration. I'd say that the new ink is in any case a "replacement" -- but put better, more of an an improvement over the oldie.

The new one is better lubricated, writes wetter an had a different blue-black ratio.

I like the new one better, but, if you like the oldie better, then stick to that. Pelikan told me that their issuing of the newbie will not discontinue the oldie!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

It might be my monitor, but your Tanzanite appears bluer than my Tanzanite. Mine really puts the black in blue black.

I'm not sure if you looked only at the image I posted above, or the other images in my article, but I did find that the Moleskine (shown above) made the Tanzanite look a lot lighter and bluer than any of the other papers did (especially in the swabs).

Edited by stefanv

Stefan Vorkoetter

Visit my collection of fountain pen articles at StefanV.com.

A pen from my collection:

spacer.png

when i did a water test with tanzanite, it all washed away with just the faintest of impression left (on rhodia pad as we'll) hmmm.

I like the Edelstein Tanzanite more because it's wetter ten the dry 4001 and has better lubrication.

Joop

Thanks for the review. It's too bad that the "replacement" is one of the more expensive Edelstein inks.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

when i did a water test with tanzanite, it all washed away with just the faintest of impression left (on rhodia pad as we'll) hmmm.

Thank you for telling us. Can you post the pics?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 year later...

As of 2014 Pelikan 4001 BB is still available here in Europe, even if I moved to Tanzanite because of higher flow and the issues I had with some batches of 4001 BB cartridges.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I much prefer Tanzanite to Blue Black. Much crisper, sharper, less chalky and wishy washy.

(Sadly never was a fan of this much raved about ink :mellow: )

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_tanzanite_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pelikan_blue_black_swatch.jpg

Thanks for the compare...

In my book, if it's not water resistant, it's not the "new" Pelikan blue-black. It's just another--albeit a nice one--blue black ink.