Diamine Ancient Copper

mhphoto

Here's my review of the dark and broody Diamine Ancient Copper. It's not exactly the shade of copper (my favorite metal in the world), but it's still a great shade.

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/AncientCopperMedium.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/AncientCopperPensUsed.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/AncientCopperBrause.jpg

Love the shading in flex pens!

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/AncientCopperShading.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/AncientCopperObservations.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh494/gunsandlights/AncientCopperComparisons.jpg

Grab a bottle, you won't regret it! :)

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhphoto

• SheilaM

• dzacca

• Ariadne_Aello

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review. I like the color but do I need another in this part of the color wheel? You've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger lately.

I find it very close to Noodler's Red-Black in some pens, but much more fun to play with in terms of shading & rinses clean faster. Simply awesome. :thumbup:

I love this ink. It is the closest match to the now discontinued Sailor Red-Brown as any I've found.

I'm not much of an ink mixer, but before A.C. was relased, I was considering trying to make my own R-B clone. Glad it didn't come to that. ;)

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

You've been busier than a one-armed paper hanger lately.

Unemployed college graduate/temporary house husband. :glare: I've got the time on my hands… haha.

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

This seemed to be the most talked-about ink when Diamine announced the new colours, and it's had an astonishing number of reviews since I got there first in December! The more reviews and pictures on flickr, the easier it is to take a punt on a new ink.

For some reason, I prefer subtler shading for general writing, so I find DAC a bit 'busy.' But it really sings in a wider nib - your Noodler's flex, my Pilot Parallels - and I'm pleased I have it around.

In my last order to the Goulets, I accidentally ordered two of the same sample. I wrote and asked them to remove one, and surprise me with a replacement for it. They sent this ink. Not one I would have ever picked, but often that's how new favourites are discovered. Looking forward to trying this out: I'm waiting for a 2mm italic nib for my Targa to arrive :thumbup:

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bottle today. What a joyful color! :)

I've never used orangish inks before, but I think I'll make an exception for this one ;)

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Great, detailed writeup; thank you! I bought a bottle when it first came out and it's rapidly becoming a favorite. I love the shading - and, for that matter, the color, though I have to squint a bit to get it to look like copper.

"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

• 7 months later...

I have always admired your ink reviews, just lovely!

Being from TX I've been on the hunt for a perfect UT burnt-orange, and sampled Noodler's Antietam before committing to a full bottle, but now I'm just going to go for it and stock up on Ancient Copper.

This is my favorite rusty red (burnt orange) ink. I find it well behaved and love the shading. It may form little crystals if it dries on the nib (if pen is not used for a few days), but just a drop of water will re-dissolve them, so no harm.

If you like this one, try also Diamine Ochre. A very interesting ink with great shading. Goes on about the color of Ancient Copper, but dries to a darker red brown. One of the more dramatic color shifts as it dries. Also very well behaved.

Dan

Edited by DanF

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

I have a sample of this that didn't overly grab me at the time I tried it. I mean, it was nice enough, but I'm more of a blue/purple/pink ink person. But seeing your review makes me want to give it another chance.

In particular I want to compare it to the vintage Quink I bought over the summer, but just got around to trying this week. At the time I got it, I posted a swab and was told that it was Quink Red. But seeing it in a pen made me less sure that it really was -- it looked more red-brown. And, a bit like your scan of Ancient Copper.

:hmm1:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

A quick note for British readers, those nice folk at Niche Pens are giving away a free 30ml bottle of Ancient Copper with any TWSBI minipurchase at the moment - I ordered one yesterday.

Wouldn't it be great if Nakaya used TWSBI piston fillers instead of Platinum cartridge converters?

Thank you for the review, I absolutely LOVE this colour! clap1.gif

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

I really like Ancient Copper. I recently got some of Private Reserve's Copper Burst, but it doesn't have the same coppery color to it. There's just something missing.

Edited by MyDarnSnakeLegs

My Blog: Inkdependence!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! I really like this color and based on your handwriting, I think it will work very nicely with my Twsbi with a 1.1 stub!

• 1 month later...

very great color :thumbup: thanks for the review

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Bit of trivia: this is Diamine's best-selling colour (source).

I am no longer very active on FPN but feel free to message me. Or send me a postal letter!

Thank for the link to the Cult Pens article - it was a good read and I had missed it.

• 4 weeks later...