Any Noodler's Eel users out there?

WilliamK

I'm looking to find better inks than what I have. There's nothing wrong with Quink or Mont Blanc, but I want to try something different.

Alot of people here talk about Noodler's inks, and the pendemonium website. They seem to stock everything Noodler's makes, but they look a bit low-stocked right now after Christmas.

The Noodler's Eel inks look like they could make a good pen write better and smoother. The blues all look good, and the black looks nice and dark.

Does anyone have any experience with these inks, and are they worth the money?

Thank you,

-William

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oranges and Apples

• Sasha Royale

• HeartMan

• iveyman

I have and use the Noodler's Eel red and have never noticed a particularly big difference in my pens. I have however notcied that Private Reserve tanzanite can really make a bad writing pen into a good one. ;)

You might try out the ink exchange, or Peartree's sample program, so you can try them out before you buy a bottle.

Or you can buy a bottle of something unusual and much-desired (Visconti Blue for example, or one of the R&Ks), and trade vials in the Ink Exchange for pretty much anything you might want!

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

Noodlers Eel Blue and Eel Black.

(1) Dye rich, tends to dry slowly, smearability attribute stays a long time on some papers.

(2) Prone to feather on some papers.

(3) I have a couple of pens with bad scratchy nibs, one is M605 EF, that only write comfortably with the extra surface lubrication this ink supplys. I now only use this ink in those pens.

(4) The colors, to my perception, are more intense than Standard Black and Standard Blue although it was implyed the dye and dye proporation was the same in the Standard and Eel series.

as always YMMV....

Edited by RLTodd

YMMV

I very much like the eel blue ink. However, do not expect a huge difference in the feel of either the nib or piston. If the ink has lubricant, then obviously there is some effect, but it is not like a sticky piston will suddeny slip up and down like new.

I have not had the smearing problem that many people have mentioned, but I tend to use Fine point pens and so most of my pens are not wet and thick writers.

I would recommend trying a bottle of eel blue. Some of the Private Reserve blues are also very nice. Just my two cents, j

I use American Eel Blue from time to time. This is a first-rate ink with many desirable qualities in my opionion. I have not noticed any discernable difference in piston smoothness, though the nib does seem to glide over the paper a bit smoother. Color is vibrant. I don't have smearing problems when ink is fresh and if I am writing on high quality paper. I am a big fan of blues, and this is becoming more of a standard.

I do not hesitate to recommend, but make sure you have a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue handy as well.

I have eel black loaded in my Pelikan 800 fine nib. Its the smooth and nice flowing. I write left handed and sometimes I smudge, but mostly it dries fast enough. The color in the black is the darkest I've seen and it has kind of a glossy sheen to it (just a little). It's my go to ink right now.

• 5 years later...

I have used Noodlers eel black ink for many years. It has lubricant and is smooth. But I find it is not as dark as Noodles regular black.

I use Noodler's Polar Black and Eel Turquoise inks.

My experience is that they have good flow properties.

Drying time is a bit longer (What's my hurry?). My

pen doctor recommended lubricating inks for piston

filler pens. I have TWSBI, Pelikan, Bexley, and

Reform pens.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I have several inks in the eel line. I use them in my pistons. The one color that gets people's attention: Cactus Fruit. For me this ink "works" best in a dry and/or extra fine or fine point. If you love bold colors, try this in a wider nib.

Personally my favorite is Purple Heart available from gouletpens.com.

I have several inks in the eel line. I use them in my pistons. The one color that gets people's attention: Cactus Fruit. For me this ink "works" best in a dry and/or extra fine or fine point. If you love bold colors, try this in a wider nib.

Personally my favorite is Purple Heart available from gouletpens.com.

I love the Cactus Fruit as well. It was in all my pens at one point and I realized it when I needed a more traditional coloured in.

I have used Noodlers eel black ink for many years. It has lubricant and is smooth. But I find it is not as dark as Noodles regular black.

I am not sure wether the original poster will still read this comment since the original post dates to December 2006.

I am not sure wether the original poster will still read this comment since the original post dates to December 2006.

And he was last active in April of 2009.

It's not often a good idea to revive an old thread.

well, I saw the "necropost" but figured someone might be interested in the Eel inks so didn't make a fuss.

I missed the original discussion. Back then I had tried the Eel Blue and didn't care for it. Since then the formula has been improved (better flow) and I like the stuff. So hey, you never know, someone might actually benefit from the revival of a topic. I only bought some about six months ago after trying a new sample.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I have Noodlers Blue Eel and love it. The color is very beautiful, a sort of phalo blue (green blue) and lubes real well. It's great just for the color alone though.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg