In Paper Heaven 完全

SamCapote

OMG, will you people let it go about the price responses already? For those still obsessing, and ascribing elitist, or "you are less worthy" class warfare motivation in answering DanF's question, you are way off base.

They don't just sell a ream. Minimum was 4,000 or 4 reams. As far as the price, I have to see how the conversion comes through...but basically if you have to ask that question, it will be too much.

That was my way of saying I didn't yet know the whole price because of add-on foreign currency credit card fees, conversion rates, and cost of EMS (2 day) delivery. I knew in any case it was not a "practical" paper purchase, any more than how the Hakase real squid ink purchase from Japan got dissected down to the price per ml. I would have given the same answer if asked in that thread.

I didn't want this thread to similarly become about assessing the value of this paper in monetary terms such as cost per sheet. IMHO, the magical qualities of this paper is "above" that method of determining its worth. I forget we now live in a world where you must say everything perfectly--with the sensitivity of an angel, and always be politically correct or those people waiting to be offended will pounce. Well that's not me. It's not personal. Deal with it. :bunny01:

Because being sensitive and inclusive is terrible.

Edited by shaylenwilliams

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penhand

• SamCapote

• Karen Traviss

• marcomillions

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait, I thought you answered about the price already? You linked to somewhere that it was like 8400 yen to purchase the paper? Was I looking at the wrong link (I let google translation do the page for me so I might have clicked on the wrong thing lol).

Unfortunately though I do have to say that everything is related to money in one way or another. It basically boils down to if it is worth it for you. I sewed my first journal today and wasn't as happy as I wanted to be with the results. Due to this I will be holding off on the paper for a while till I can figure it out. Because, while the paper is 100% worth the cash for my personal tastes (of course I say this without having used it), I don't want to waste money on something I won't use. However, I figure in a couple of weeks when I get the journal thing down and figure out exactly what to do and how to make it perfect, I will invest in the paper. If it is 4000 sheets, that will be great cause then I can make myself a ton of journals before I have to restock :) .

My bad Sam for bringing up the money thing, I should have PM'ed you about it :( .

Wait, I thought you answered about the price already? You linked to somewhere that it was like 8400 yen to purchase the paper? Was I looking at the wrong link (I let google translation do the page for me so I might have clicked on the wrong thing lol).

Unfortunately though I do have to say that everything is related to money in one way or another. It basically boils down to if it is worth it for you. I sewed my first journal today and wasn't as happy as I wanted to be with the results. Due to this I will be holding off on the paper for a while till I can figure it out. Because, while the paper is 100% worth the cash for my personal tastes (of course I say this without having used it), I don't want to waste money on something I won't use. However, I figure in a couple of weeks when I get the journal thing down and figure out exactly what to do and how to make it perfect, I will invest in the paper. If it is 4000 sheets, that will be great cause then I can make myself a ton of journals before I have to restock :) .

My bad Sam for bringing up the money thing, I should have PM'ed you about it :( .

No problem, and I appreciate how you have been really cool in your follow up posts. :thumbup: Yeah, it was 8,400 yen, but there were other fees, possibly customs, conversion to USD rates, credit card fees for foreign currency, and then all the shipping and handling charges since I got it through Tenso.com, so basically I don't really know what it cost yet.

If you want me to mail you some half sheets which I am doing for 3 other people, I'd be more than happy to send you some free (assuming you are USA--because of the postage). PM me on that. I cut these A-4 sheets in half so they would fit in some 6x9" envelopes I already had to make it easier for mailing.

I was also able to get the right padding compound flexible glue to make tablets that doesn't ruin the paper, and where the top page can be progressively pulled off.

It's really cool that you are trying your hand at sewing your own journal. I have seen a number of web postings about various techniques of doing that, but you are a step ahead of me. :notworthy1:

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I have used several design Y journals and agree with Sam that the paper is some of the best as it is such fine paper and yet it has no bleed through or feathering. There is the added bonus that it really brings out the sheen/shimmer in certain inks like the Sailor inks (another subject on which I have read Sam's views with great interest) It is great to read about the exact Tamoe River paper used in these journals. I have been wondering for a while whether any other companies use this paper in their notebooks, journals or agenda. In particular does anyone know whether the Japanese Davinci agenda refills use this paper?

It's really cool that you are trying your hand at sewing your own journal. I have seen a number of web postings about various techniques of doing that, but you are a step ahead of me. :notworthy1:

Thanks Sam, people here have been a giant help. Definitely worth trying if you have the time (I know that is a resource some of us are short on heh). I super appreciate the offer for a couple half sheets as well, I sent you a PM.

Thanks Sam, people here have been a giant help. Definitely worth trying if you have the time (I know that is a resource some of us are short on heh). I super appreciate the offer for a couple half sheets as well, I sent you a PM.

Got your PM. You are the sixth I have sent batches of about 10 of the half sheets to, and glad to share it. Let us know what you think after using it. :thumbup: It's not a paper for all occasions, or for all people's tastes.

I received a sample of the Tomoe River paper from Sam earlier today (thank you Sam - you are awesome!). I finally had a spare moment so I made a writing sample with one of the sheets, using the various pens I have inked today. All my pens are wet writers, usually 7 or 8 on a scale of 10, and have been adjusted to lay down thick, wet lines, just the way I like it.

Below are photos of the paper, front and back, so you can see how well this paper does, how virtually nothing bleeds through, despite the paper being very thin and light. Sam was absolutely correct in his description of how smooth the paper is; I wouldn't describe my experience as zen-like, but that had more to do with the spicy burrito dinner I just ate than any fault of the paper.

fpn_1335837059__tomoe_river_paper_writing_sample.jpg

fpn_1335837314__tomoe_river_paper_writing_sample_3.jpg

As you can see, the only place that came close to bleed through was where I really pressed on a flexible nib to obtain maximum line width (honestly, I went slow and pressed hard, trying to lay down as much ink as possible and really push the limits of the paper), and even then the result was negligible. Remarkable for such thin paper.

And take a look at how well this paper shows the sheen effect of Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise and Pelikan 4001 Turquoise, and the shading of those inks plus R&K Salix. Wow!

fpn_1335837221__tomoe_river_paper_writing_sample_1.jpg

fpn_1335837241__tomoe_river_paper_writing_sample_2.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

drool.gifLove it, I'm buying the 336 & LP Record. Figure it's more cost effective for shipping to get 2 and reorder less often. Had planned to buy a Smythson, so am actually saving money in reality.rolleyes.gif

It took me a while to find the seller on the english language site, so I figured i'd share. Maybe it was just me, but the search seemed wonky.

2000 Sheets A3

4000 Sheets A4

Cool! I didn't find it looking that way before. Man, the A3 size is huge! I'm wondering how they would ship that with adequate protection so it didn't get mangled. The weight of mine was actually about 14.4 kg when it arrived at Tenso...but you can click on Rakuten's shipping guide, and see that becomes the "real" expense. Tenso also runs periodic campaigns with Rakuten purchases where you get a 4000 yen discount, so my price using 1-2 day EMS shipping was less than what you see in the Rakuten chart.

It took me a while to find the seller on the english language site, so I figured i'd share. Maybe it was just me, but the search seemed wonky.

2000 Sheets A3

4000 Sheets A4

Cool! I didn't find it looking that way before. Man, the A3 size is huge! I'm wondering how they would ship that with adequate protection so it didn't get mangled. The weight of mine was actually about 14.4 kg when it arrived at Tenso...but you can click on Rakuten's shipping guide, and see that becomes the "real" expense. Tenso also runs periodic campaigns with Rakuten purchases where you get a 4000 yen discount, so my price using 1-2 day EMS shipping was less than what you see in the Rakuten chart.

Indeed, the standard shipping is a bit more than double the cost of the paper itself.

Here's my sample. Drawn with a sharpish italic (sharper than I really like) and Noodler's Army green ink.

This nib feels toothy on every paper I've used it on which I don't really care for, but on this paper... it's like a stick of butter melting on a skillet. SOOOOO SMOOTH.

gallery_41188_9_128024.jpg

Edited by watch_art

Here's my sample ...

But, what is it? :)

And the follow up question (completely off topic): Is this what flows from the mind and pen of a Jedi Pen Lord? :huh:

What is going on inside that head?

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Here's my sample ...

And the follow up question (completely off topic): Is this what flows from the mind and pen of a Jedi Pen Lord? :huh:

What is going on inside that head?

Is he sketching the midichlorians?

Here's my sample ...

I don't know but whoever those creatures are after is in serious trouble.

:roflmho:

midichlorians!

They're just little devil worms. I'm starting to go off of drawing them all the time, but they're still good fun.

Last summer my wife's tomatoes were totally decimated by these awful little caterpillars, and I started drawing them.

Here, check this out.

http://coffeegrinderpress.com/drawingsblog.html

:roflmho:

midichlorians!

They're just little devil worms. I'm starting to go off of drawing them all the time, but they're still good fun.

Last summer my wife's tomatoes were totally decimated by these awful little caterpillars, and I started drawing them.

Here, check this out.

http://coffeegrinder...awingsblog.html

I tried growing 'maters a couple years ago, and there must have been 8 different bugs feasting away. I got totally peeved at my abject failure, and tossed the whole pots & plants in the garbage.

Except I didn't type "peeved" above. "Big Brother" changed it.

Edited by SamCapote

You can buy plastic tubs containing thousands of live ladybirds from Amazon.com; they love chowing down on aphids and whitefly.

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813132/pride.png