Twsbi Micarta

productred

Thanks for the review. I should have mine in a day or two, depending on if the FedEx sightseeing tour is over yet. It is my understanding that the "threads" on the threads will wear off with use and this is supposed to happen. I love the organic look of it and I look forward to it picking up a patina with use.

Hehehe. My pen is also taking the scenic route. It has now passed through Chicago twice on its way to Chicago.:blink:

I understand the material is quite heat resistant. Can the threads be burned off with a torch? :lol:

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enricof

• ethernautrix

• ravantra

• watch_art

I'm intrigued by this pen, so thank you for this great review. I didn't realize, as others have said, that the pen is so much larger than the 540. As for price, have we been so spoiled by TWSBI that we now think $100 is expensive for a fountain pen? Ha! I have several pens that cost much more than $100, so the price doesn't bother me. For a 'new' material and the added manufacturing/quality control, I imagine it's still a good bargain.

Tamara

So far I'm not disappointed by my purchase (I agree the admission ticket is a bit expensive, but I think there's value).

I think I will soon try it as a ED filler.

I prefer a larger ink capacity than the converter supplied.

I'm like a few previous posters - I'd like to see how it performs as an eyedropper.

Enricof, let us know how it goes...

Just inked, looks like I'll take a while to empty it.

So far, so good.

It seems a tad wetter (that I like), I feel quite confortable about leakages (ten turns, threads are "soft but tight", a thin veil of silicon grease will be enough).

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

I just got the pen in Australia. I'm kind a two ways about the pen. Some things to note:

I got number "#805" but it looks like from above posts two people have got 803? maybe it's a batch number? Mines a light brown one with a dark grip section.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the smell, when I first got the fedex package I thought the delivery man was a chain smoker or something. The smell will probably wear away but I'm still surprised nobody has mentioned it.

The nib is a nail, no give. It seems like a slow starter but i probably have to wash it first.

I filled mine with Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black(Which really looks like a green to me...) and the grip section looks stain, but i haven't tried to get it off yet.

It feels nigh on indestructible, the micarta feels really sturdy.

Mine is #803, the section is a bit darker than the barrel (and the cap is just an hair lighter than the barrel).

I noticed the smell, probably it will fade a bit (it is already much weaker when pen is capped than when you uncap it).

I'm not particularly disturbed by it. It smells like bakelite and it reminds me of old printed circuit boards (now they are mostly fiberglass) and my earliest efforts with a soldering iron...

I agree on your other points.

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

How can you clean this material from an ink stain ?

Good question! This is my concern too, even more using bulletproof inks.

Not sure, but browsing the web for images I'm a bit concerned about the images on this fellow's blog: http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/port123miguel/archive/2012/04/07. And I was just thinking about placing an order, might wait a while yet.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

How can you clean this material from an ink stain ?

Good question! This is my concern too, even more using bulletproof inks.

Not sure, but browsing the web for images I'm a bit concerned about the images on this fellow's blog: http://blogs.yahoo.c...ive/2012/04/07. And I was just thinking about placing an order, might wait a while yet.

Awful.

I guess the simplest way to clean a disturbing stain would be a little sanding, but I agree the clip is a problem.

As a quick test, I stained the cap with the Pelikan 4001 ink (20% black, 80% brown) I happen to have in it, and it cleaned easily with a few drops of water.

Unfortunately, it was an easy test.

Well, I think I'll find quite soon (next ink will be Noodler's Aircorp or Walnut)...

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

Do the blog photos seem to give a clear picture of the pen's looks? also it would seem that the 805 denotes the "with clip" cap and 803 "without clip".

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

... and it reminds me of old printed circuit boards (now they are mostly fiberglass) and my earliest efforts with a soldering iron...

Ah, the smell of paper phenolic boards, have you made your own PCBs, drilled them? The smell is quite peculiar. I have made several, it(electronics) was a big hobby for me and thankfully is now my profession.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

... and it reminds me of old printed circuit boards (now they are mostly fiberglass) and my earliest efforts with a soldering iron...

Ah, the smell of paper phenolic boards, have you made your own PCBs, drilled them? The smell is quite peculiar. I have made several, it(electronics) was a big hobby for me and thankfully is now my profession.

Yes (path traced with liquid pen initially, then adhesive tape, then photoetching), even burnt a couple of jeans with the dark brown acid used to remove the copper.

Speaking about 1975, more or less.

My first "important" hobby, still part of my profession too (got an high school degree in industrial electronics and a bachelor in electronics-c.s. in the meantime).

You understand why this smell scent does not really disturb me, don't you?

Answering your other post, I agree the number seems to refer to the clip (#803 clipless, #805 clipped), but the pics are quite poor, expecially the bottom ones,

Not an easy pen to picture, but mine looks remarkably like the top one on TWSBI website (l have to shoot some pics myself), but clipless)..

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

perfectly ;)

Looking fwd to your pics too.

The pen looks a little bit "home-made" to me because of the choice of material. Cannot get rid of that impression despite good craftsmanship.

“Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Jimmy Durante quotes (American Comedian, Pianist and Singer, 1893-1980)

11 days in shipping... wow. I am hoping that my micarta will arrive in time to go to the Atlanta show to get a CI or stub grind...... this is as bad as waiting on Christmas morning!

Yes (path traced with liquid pen initially, then adhesive tape, then photoetching), even burnt a couple of jeans with the dark brown acid used to remove the copper.

Speaking about 1975, more or less.

My first "important" hobby, still part of my profession too (got an high school degree in industrial electronics and a bachelor in electronics-c.s. in the meantime).

Answering your other post, I agree the number seems to refer to the clip (#803 clipless, #805 clipped), but the pics are quite poor, expecially the bottom ones,

Not an easy pen to picture, but mine looks remarkably like the top one on TWSBI website (l have to shoot some pics myself), but clipless)..

+1 Gentlemen on the electronic circuit board smell.

I was working my Micarta last night before going to sleep and memories came flooding back of my childhood electronics adventures in my Dad's workshop - based on the smell of Micarta. Love it! Weight, shape and size are perfect for me.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

A few quick-and-dirty pics from my car...

Capped

fpn_1334161071__p1190743.jpg

Cap top

fpn_1334161197__p1190744.jpg

Barrel end, you can see how the material is "rolled up"

fpn_1334161266__p1190746.jpg

Uncapped & posted, in all it's raw beauty

fpn_1334161334__p1190748.jpg

Posts very well. same size posted of a DT Densho

fpn_1334161419__p1190749.jpg

The nib (again, same size as Densho)

fpn_1334161478__p1190750.jpg

In a good company (149, Densho, Micarta, M1005)

fpn_1334161547__p1190755.jpg

fpn_1334161589__p1190758.jpg

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

For those who have the Micarta, is there any noticeable staining issues yet?

I'm almost sure it will stain.

If you think this would disturb you, I suggest you stay away from non-washable inks (or from this pen).

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

My Micarta finally arrived! I took some pictures, but they are nearly identical to those already posted...black cardboard sleeve, raw cardboard box inside...

The pen itself looks just as I expected that it would from reading others' posts.

The cap took exactly two and one half full turns to remove, the section took ten full turns to remove. The threads did have an almost disturbing "gritty" feel to them as parts were removed.

I decided to take a small calculated risk in consideration of the abundant concern over staining..... I filled the pen from a bottle of Noodlers Golden Brown. First I removed the converter and filled it, then attached it to the section and carefully pushed out enough ink to saturate the feed and nib. I then topped off the converter while attached to the section ( submerging a portion of the section in the ink) wiped down and reassembled. There is no noticable hue change, but then it was Noodlers Golden Brown too. The submerged part has a "wetter" look, but the same color, same hue as the remainder of the section. So, I would have to say, no it hasnt stained, but the experience did leave a mark....hmmm.

All in all, I love this pen... just homely enough to be comfortable to carry anywhere.... big enough to have no need of a travelling ink pot if its used as an Eyedropper and balanced to perfection..and BTW, mine posts just fine.

I ordered a Medium nib and I must say that the nib fairly shocked me. It lays down a line that I would equate with an EF...although I have no basis for comparison. It writes amazingly small. I could put two lines of text on one regular "college rule" line! I ma rethinking getting this turned into a CI or Stub..........nahhhhh, 1.1 stub!

A few quick-and-dirty pics from my car...

Uncapped & posted, in all it's raw beauty

fpn_1334161334__p1190748.jpg

Interesting your pen looks much, much lighter in color than mine. Mine is a chocolate brown, quite dark. I guess there is another variable to consider. :thumbup:

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.