• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nunez

• raquel123

• VillersCotterets

• Stompie

The books are good, but the paper is atrocious, feathers like mad unless you have a really fine nib and dry ink. Alternatively you could use a rollerball or pencil in the books, or make your own guide sheets and just use the books for your examples.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

The books are good, but the paper is atrocious, feathers like mad unless you have a really fine nib and dry ink. Alternatively you could use a rollerball or pencil in the books, or make your own guide sheets and just use the books for your examples.

Dan

That is because Mott Media makes products for homeschoolers, who will be using a pencil or ball point pen, not nibs.

• 3 weeks later...

That is because Mott Media makes products for homeschoolers, who will be using a pencil or ball point pen, not nibs.

Which is really a bit of a shame, isn't it? I was homeschooled, but was never taught to write well- my mother, however, writes a disturbingly perfect, broad version of Palmer. My dad- the only one who has consistently used fountain pens for any length of time- is unfortunately a doctor and is therefore proficient primarily in jots, squigglies and conjoined angles of no intrinsic meaning.

I've been searching for the better part of a few months for a good way of fabricating a Spencerian copybook and have basically arrived at the conclusion that someone should just darn well make one while taking into account various nib sizes, load them into a PDF. The first sheet past the cover should provide nib information (for example, if you have an American EF or a Japanese/Chinese F, use this one; if not, get your carcass over to the F PDF and use that one!). From there, the user should be able to simply print the workbooks out on printing paper that works well with their own inks and pens and start.

Sounds like I've found a new project. My handwriting is yet atrocious, but I'm pretty handy with a computer.

Honestly, though, it shouldn't be that complicated to fabricate a guide for oneself. It's even practical to take a cheap length of balsa and adhere a strip of practice lettering to it, enabling the writer to move the strip down the page without distortion. For scaling and to insure proper development, one would think that graphing paper could work- although one might be restricted to F-EF in doing so. It's further conceivable that one could simply do some modifications on existing example lines and place those over a template in any document editor (word, openoffice, etc.) and use tables and borders to create a useable copy book. In that way, it's conceivable that FPN could develop its own open-source handwriting copybook database. With that, we could all share a common grounding point with certain variables that would make it easier to communicate with universal methods/language for how we are all learning the same script.

Wow. I kinda took that and ran with it. Honestly, I was only posting to say, "Hey, you can use graphing paper to create symmetrical lettering/improvised copybooks."

"So all were lost, which in the ship were found,

They in the sea being burnt, they in the burnt ship drown'd."

- A Burnt Ship, John Donne

The Michael Sull practice pack (item B2463 at johnnealbooks.com) is a decent solution. Photocopy the pages on to your paper of choice. As for practice pads, I use French ruled Clairfontaine. I started off putting a guide sheet with the proper slant underneath, but now don't bother.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I know its already done but just wondering if you eventually manage to get a link for those Spencerian workbooks download?

could you share please? I understand that its no more copyrighted so it can be shared without violating any copyright laws.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

It seems that this question has already been answered, but since I have the link I'll go ahead and post it again and let it pop up again since there may be others interested who haven't read the thread.

Yes, you can buy the Spencerian guide and copybooks at a very reasonable price. I see from reading this thread that the quality of paper is not great, but I do intend to buy them. However I did want a pdf to print out for myself so I can start trying it out and also be able to do extra practice since I have horribly inconsisent handwriting, always have all my life, and such tendencies will be a challenge to overcome.

I also wanted to chime in on the idea of wanting copybooks to make it 'easier' and wanting them being an indication of not wanting to put in the effort to learn. These copybooks Tare how Spencerian handwriting was originally taught for generations.

If it was good enough for my forefathers and foremothers along with thousands upon thousands of others, it's certainly good enough for me. [wink]

https://www.docdroid.net/oxwk/theory-of-the-spencerian-method-of-papractical-penmanship-and-five-copybooks.pdf

Has anyone been using them? Are there posts elsewhere on the forum about them? I found this one through mr google when looking for the download, myself! My first post, and glad to be here.

• 3 weeks later...

French ruled Clairefontaine is a ready made ruling suitable for most hands, provided one has a small handwriting.

For practice, to form bigger letters, a grid Rhodia notepad/notebook, can be used as is, or modified by adding slanted lines or tracing darker horizontal lines.

A Rhodia dot notepad/notebook is even more versatile, it can be transformed, with the use of a ruler, into a variety of copybooks.

Many years ago, I printed special ruling on copy paper for the purpose of practicing Copperplate letter forms. I choose the smoothest copy paper I could find but there was a big difference between the pencil and fountain pen practice.

I concluded that it was the paper quality.

Another way of practicing is tracing, the key, here, is to use a tracing paper which is described as "velum", Borden and Riley make a wonderful one.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 3 years later...
On 6/27/2015 at 12:13 AM, iInkFP said:

If you are still seeking for Spencerian Copybook, you can download from here:

http://www.docdroid.net/oxwk/theory-of-the-spencerian-method-of-papractical-penmanship-and-five-copybooks.pdf.html

Pardon if I'm breaking any rule here.

"404 document not found" link doesn't work. :(

14 minutes ago, raquel123 said:

i found this one ..but i was trying to find some copybooks. thanks anyway :)

Then maybe this one has what you're looking for: https://www.scribd.com/document/340065759/Pages-From-Theory-of-the-Spencerian-Method-of-PaPractical-Penmanship-and-Five-Copybooks

I don't have a Scribd account so wasn't able to check if the whole thing is there.

8 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

Then maybe this one has what you're looking for: https://www.scribd.com/document/340065759/Pages-From-Theory-of-the-Spencerian-Method-of-PaPractical-Penmanship-and-Five-Copybooks

I don't have a Scribd account so wasn't able to check if the whole thing is there.

The site https://www.iampeth.com/ has many books and practice sheets for free download.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65