Staples Bagasse

Stompie

I see this is no longer made - any decent replacement witht he same sort of look or feel to it?

Artoz or Artoline paper @ 120 gm - is it any good?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stompie

• inkstainedruth

• PurpleFountainPen

• qntgns

WHAT???!!!! Oh no! Where have you heard this? :crybaby:

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

My link

www.biffybeans.com/2009/.../review-staples-eco-friendly-bagasse.ht...

4 Nov 2009 – I'm sorry, but this review has been canceled due to the fact that the oh-so-gloriously fountain pen friendly Staples Bagasse Eco Friendly paper ...

You visited this page on 31/03/12

Punch in Staples Bagasse on Google and see if you can get the link. Fella makes a lot of reference to FPN

I see this is no longer made - any decent replacement witht he same sort of look or feel to it?

Staples still sells its sugarcane paper. It's called Sustainable Earth now and comes in a one-subject notebook, three-subject notebook, five-subject notebook, filler notebook paper, and legal type writing pads. They even have a composition book that uses this same paper called Staples Eco-Friendly Composition Notebook. Look for the brown kraft covers for these papers.

If you're looking for unlined sugarcane paper, Officemax has Sugarmade Multipurpose Paper. It is only available online and only by the case, though. It's good fountain pen paper. I did a review of Sugarmade here.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

The Staples website is pathetic.

No matter what I type in on the searrch engine it comes up as no matches and offers me copy paper.

When I look for writing paper it gives me copy paper and printing paper.

Useless website!

But thanks for the info everyone, I think I will just go for the G Lalo papers.

The Staples website is pathetic.

No matter what I type in on the searrch engine it comes up as no matches and offers me copy paper.

When I look for writing paper it gives me copy paper and printing paper.

Useless website!

But thanks for the info everyone, I think I will just go for the G Lalo papers.

Try this link:

Be warned, these notebooks are much more expensive online than in the stores. Full price in my local store (LA area) is $1.79-$3.29

Edited by CatBookMom

The links to the site are not the issue - I can find the site but then I can not find the paper.

I just went through 10 pages of paper products and can not find them.

On the Staples search engine I type in Sustainable Earth - no result, Eco paper, no result, Eco, no resulot etc etc etc.

When I click on the links that you all have given me it first asks me for a state I reside in so it can redirect me to a store near me. Any way, then I click on the UK site because that is where I am and then I can get no further.

As I said, a useless site!

The links to the site are not the issue - I can find the site but then I can not find the paper.

On the Staples search engine I type in Sustainable Earth - no result, Eco paper, no result, Eco, no resulot etc etc etc.

When I click on the links that you all have given me it first asks me for a state I reside in so it can redirect me to a store near me. Any way, then I click on the UK site because that is where I am and then I can get no further.

It may not be offered in the UK. There was previous discussion that it was not.

It also seems to be offered only in US paper sizes. The pads claim to be 8.5 x 11" but are more like 8.5 x 10.625" after they are torn off the pad.

• 1 month later...

My local Staples has the Sustainable Earth writing pads on clearance - <$5 for eight pads of fifty pages each. I tried one yesterday with several inks and a Noodler's Ahab a-flexin'. The paper performs very well with fountain pens, despite appearing alarmingly thin.

Grab 'em while they're hot!

It may not be offered in the UK. There was previous discussion that it was not.

It also seems to be offered only in US paper sizes. The pads claim to be 8.5 x 11" but are more like 8.5 x 10.625" after they are torn off the pad.

My local Staples in the UK stocks the pads in A4 and A5, and the spiral-bound notebooks in A4. There might've been an A5 size of that too, but I couldn't say for sure. They seem to have the opposite problem to the US ones - they're A4 _after_ they've been torn off the pad, so if you use them to refill a padfolio the board top that covers the staples sticks out of the top! I've since switched to Rhodia for padfolio filling, as it fits a lot better, but I keep the Staples stuff around for notes and doodling at home.

• 10 months later...

They do still sell it, it's just not available on the website.

There's a part on the website somewhere that tells you that the website is not representative of what's available in store. I found this out to my disappointment when I was on the website planning what I was going to buy on my next trip!

I bought some there when I went last week, there were no signs saying it's discontinued.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png ----- Send me a PM!

• 8 years later...

2021 Update. Figured I'd put this here so anyone who reads this thread now knows what to expect today.

Staples seems to have changed the paper they sell when you order Sustainable Earth paper. The old (excellent) paper felt crinkly in the hand and was really good with fountain pen inks. Over time they first made the paper in the Sustainable Earth notepads and notebooks worse and this has now happened to the Sustainable Earth punched, lined loose paper too. I got five reams online and the paper is just not the same. I will be returning them.

A medium nib Parker Duofold with J Herbin Blue Nuit (generally a pretty decent ink) bled, as did #9 Inkyman Sapphire (a blend of Diamine Majestic Blue, and Sapphire Blue with a lot of distilled water), usually pretty decent in a fine nib Pilot Custom 823, Noodler's Heart of Darkness in a TWSBI Vac 700R with both a medium BLS stub ground by Pendleton Brown and a stock TWSBI fine nib.  All of these would have been just fine with the old stuff.

A medium nib Sailor 1911 Large with Sailor Four Seasons Chishu did not bleed or feather, nor did an extra fine Lamy 2000 with Sailor Seiboku Nano Particle blue.

What you get when you order Sustainable Earth paper in 2021 is materially worse than the (better than typical) 20 lb copy paper I use. I'm hoping this is not a permanent state of affairs and has more to do with some sort of supply crunch or something.  Unfortunately, it seems like this is not the case. Their old supplier of Bagasse paper was a company now known as TreeZero (treezero.com). In an effort to sell office paper to a broader market they seem to have changed how they make their paper paper to make it feel like the copy paper you get from anywhere else. Unfortunately this has meant lowering the quality to conform.

That's a bummer.  I had a couple of the Staples Bagasse paper notebooks (one spiral bound and one composition book) and liked the paper a lot.  Oh and I do NOT recommend the banana paper spiral bound I bought as a (hopeful) replacement when the Sustainable Earth paper became ONLY available online, and not in my local Staples B&M store -- it's sort of nasty and hairy and not nice for using fountain pens with at all....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I used these 8 X 10 yellow lined note pads exclusively when I was still working.  The paper performed wonderfully with all of my fountain pens. It seems like fountain-pen-friendly is just not a concern.  And hey, you kids; get off of my lawn!

A very nice poster sent me a Sustainable Earth stapled pad. I had such hopes having read about this Stateside 'good' paper for years.

:headsmack::crybaby:It feathers....call it a woolly line, be it in a maxi-semi-flex OB with 4001 Brilliant green, too wet for shading.

Regular flex OB shades with Pelikan Aquamarine, but has a woolly line.

I really have a thing against woolly lines or feathering. (even developed a system of how much.)

Just trashed it :bawl:....Pelikan is not a woolly line ink, outside of Aventurine.

I was sent a very nice little booklet by a guy in the States, Life made in Japan...I could see that in an 8x5 or bigger. Real good paper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 year later...