De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes (Night Blue)

paperskater

I absolutely had to have this ink due to my infatuation with Sherlock Holmes (ESPECIALLY as portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch), even though I know that the name is simply a novelty. Well, it worked for me!

The first picture is a scan and the second picture is taken outdoors in shaded daylight. I still have yet to master the art of (somewhat) accurate colour photography, so I will attempt to write in words what I see on the paper.

Sherlock appears to be bluer than Lamy Blue Black, but not as dark as Noodler's Midnight Blue. Although I haven't tried it out, I think that maybe Sherlock might look like a slightly diluted Noodler's Midnight Blue. Noodler's Navy appeared a little teal compared to Sherlock.

This link and this link goes to the direct location of the pictures, for full size viewing.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7138/6887456818_7ce4cb1679_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7126/6887456822_7371661ac2_b.jpg

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alc3261

• lapis

• paperskater

• pinbs JP

I'm going to post up a quick and dirty comparison tonight in another thread on Sherlock. I was sent a sample to compare it with De Atramentis "Year of the Dragon", which some people seem to think might be the same ink renamed. Great review, ps, and as always, your penmanship rocks.

I think Sherlock <3 you too!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Nice review of what looks to be a nice ink but prohibitively expensive to get here in Great Britain. It reminds me of Diamine Midnight and at about £5.70 a bottle, there's just no contest.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Oooooooooooooo, gorgeous! I think I may need some of this, when it's back in stock. All the talk of it seems to have wiped out the Goulet's stock, at least temporarily ;)

Tamara

Thanks for the review - I a great fan of Arthur Conan Doyle :notworthy1: and also have been looking for a nice blue/black. I'll look for this as well!

Ink looks great, and your handwriting is unbelievable!

A winning review all around.

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

Paperskater, I love your writing! Nice review.

dihydrogen monoxide :roflmho:

I once had a bottle of glass cleaner (name brand) on my desk at work and the cleaning people kept using it, so I took the label of and stuck a label on the bottle that read "Caution dihydrogen monoxide". They never touched the bottle again.

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

Great name, nice ink, great review! Please make a font of your printing immediately ;) :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Very nice review!

So perhaps similar to the Noodlers FPN Starry Night? And maybe a bit lighter and more blue than Diamine Majestic Blue?

I really like that it appears to be at least somewhat resistant to dihydrogen monoxide.

Nice review! A nice ink too, I'd love to see what it can do in a flex nib or italic.

Like the shading. And the color.

Oh drat. Yet another ink to add to the sample order list (and here I was swearing up, down, and sideways that I didn't want *any* blue-blacks -- but between R&K's Salix, ESSRI, this, Pharmacist's original IG, and now this, I'm sunk....) :headsmack:

Yinz are all *such* a bad influence on me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

very understated and elegant review :thumbup: thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 8 months later...

I admit that I wanted the ink for its name (despite the fact that it's only a novelty) as well. However, it is now my favorite ink. I am surprised that it does not dry very quickly for you. Although it is not dry immediately, I find that I have no problems with it being wet even 3 seconds after writing if I use decent paper. Admittedly, on cheaper paper it takes ~5 seconds. But it is only on really glossy paper that it takes much longer than that for me.

Lovely review and penmanship!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the color but hate the price.

Well, just to defend this kraut-stuff, 1 ml of De A comes in at 0.28 Euros/ml (35-ml bottle), whereas Diamines cost only 0.20 Euros/ml (80-ml bottle). If you think that De As -- in comparison with Diamines -- are rather expensive , think about CdA and Iroshi, both of which cost about 200-250% as much as Diamines (here in Krautland).

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• 2 months later...

I absolutely had to have this ink due to my infatuation with Sherlock Holmes (ESPECIALLY as portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch), ...

I'm less infatuated by Cumberbund Bandersnatch .. and more infatuated with your writing style. :)

Perhaps you should patent it as a calligraphy style.. "Paperskater" would make a good name for a font too..

.. nice ink too .. though blue-black inks aren't usually my thing.

- pin

I am using DeA Sherlock Holmes in my newly purchased Kaweco Elite with a medium nib and love it! I bought a sample of it and want to get a bottle.

Great penmanship, puts mine to shame.

I love the color but hate the price.

Well, just to defend this kraut-stuff, 1 ml of De A comes in at 0.28 Euros/ml (35-ml bottle), whereas Diamines cost only 0.20 Euros/ml (80-ml bottle). If you think that De As -- in comparison with Diamines -- are rather expensive , think about CdA and Iroshi, both of which cost about 200-250% as much as Diamines (here in Krautland).

Mike

Problem is that Da Atramentis is hard to get in the UK so you end up with shipping as well. I recently ordered a batch from Germany.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Problem is that Da Atramentis is hard to get in the UK so you end up with shipping as well. I recently ordered a batch from Germany.

I was going to order some of this ink direct from the manufacturer but the cost of postage was more than the cost of the ink :yikes: