Pens For Kids Big Black Beauty Review

stevlight

So I saw Shawn's kickstarter way too late and he had already raised way more then he was asking so I asked him if I could support his project by being one of his first costumers. He said yes--of course I wanted a big black pen!! He was happy to make one for me and for a kid. The Idea of his "Pens For Kids" is that every pen you buy, Shawn makes and identical pen for a kid and gives it to them to introduce fountain pens to kids and encourage them to write and draw--and get ink stained fingers. I love the idea but truthfully I thought the pen I was going to get I would gift or not really use but I wanted to support the great idea and a great person.

Then I got the pen!! WOW it is beautiful and simple in its design but I guess all the years of Shawn reading my posts he knows what I like!! This pen has a great weight, great girth and posts very well, giving it the perfect posted length. I find the MB 149 when posted is the perfect length --the Shawn Newton Big Black Beauty or BBB is just slightly longer--very nice.

The threads and material are beautiful--I love the warm feeling of the matte acrylic. The pen caps securely and stays capped.

The nib that it came with was a steel broad nib that flips to a fine and Shawn did a great job on it. I switched right away to a 14K nib John Mottishaw added flex to--just because I am obsessed with flex right now. I am sure B nibs that flip to fines will come back into favor with me and Shawn's excellent nib will get lots of use.

This pen comes as a cartridge convertor or eyedropper. The BBB can hold a ton of ink as an eyedropper!!

For the price and the fact that you are giving a kid an identical high quality pen it really can not be beat. I have not stopped using it since I got it--thinking of ordering another!!

Ok enough talk-- all drawings shown were drawn with the BBB!! Here are the pics:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7047/7033146341_a6afbf5ed8.jpg

DSC03866 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/6887053114_36c9f688c5.jpg

DSC03867 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/6887053390_d1f07bc534.jpg

DSC03868 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7275/6887053586_135a3236c4.jpg

DSC03869 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7065/6887054208_4155ce3988.jpg

DSC03870 by stevlight, on Flickr

Compared the the MB 149. I love the little bulge in the barrel--makes it very comfy to hold.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7109/6887054542_f6d8a29023.jpg

DSC03871 by stevlight, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7033149075_c58aa6250b.jpg

DSC03872 by stevlight, on Flickr

OK I think I covered everything--Bottom line --A great pen for the price and for giving a kid a pen and Shawn is great to deal with.

Edited by stevlight

www.stevelightart.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevlight

• Brian C

• watch_art

• georges zaslavsky

Top Posters In This Topic

very understated and elegant :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Wow. I'm totally honored with your review. Thanks so much, Steve. I've had the twin to this one at the pen show with me all weekend, along with the other 3 or 4 that haven't found new homes yet, and people LOVE it. I'm just stunned by the response my work has gotten. That big pen has gotten me a few commissions already. :thumbup:

Somebody asked me yesterday afternoon what pens I was giving my students - and said "Not these right?" I said of course these. And his jaw just dropped.

:D

Really nice shape, Good job Shawn!

reminds me of the out of my reach Namiki Emperor pens.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Really nice shape, Good job Shawn!

reminds me of the out of my reach Namiki Emperor pens.

Hmmm :hmm1: Shawn and urushi. Oh the possibilities :cloud9:

I absolutely love the way this pen turned out. Great job, this is really an awesome project!

Do you find you're mostly using it posted?

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

Do you find you're mostly using it posted?

I post ALL my pens, ALWAYS!! --Shawn knew that and made this pen post very well. I find the MB 149 the perfect pen length when posted--The BBB is just slightly longer and wonderful when posted. I hold my pens VERY far back when drawing --on the threads or even farther back. The threads on the BBB are very smooth and the lack of a step in the barrel all make this pen very comfortable.

www.stevelightart.com

Whoa! I missed the Kickstarter thread! That looks great, Steve -- wow, the pen, Shawn! You've really rocketed up the pen-making ladder!

Steve, as always, I love your drawings!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Nice looking pen. Now post a lick so I can order one.

I think you meant "link" NOT "lick" cause that would be a WHOLE DIFFERENT forum!!! HaHaHa!

I do not think Shawn has a website yet but just message him through this forum--he is "Watchart" and has posted above--click on his name to view his profile then click "send a message" on the left under his name.

www.stevelightart.com

I'm pretty easy to get a hold of and I LOVE to get mail! Just ask my wife and kids. On Saturdays or days off of school, I scope out the mailman like a hawk scopes out its prey. :roflmho: And I usually answer pretty quickly too. There'll be no waiting a week for me to email you back. :)