This Is Awesome. A Brand New "broken" Nakaya

Brian C

Well, goodness. So much vitriol over a difference in tastes, aesthetics.

There are plenty of pens floating around, pens that I happen to think are ostentatious or gaudy or impractical or boring or silly or just plain ugly. So what? I move on. I love Nakayas, but I don't love this one. So what? I'll move on. I'm glad Ethernautrix loves her pen; it's her pen, she should love it! I don't think she's stupid or the pen's junk or she's irrational--that would be positively ridiculous. Some of the comments in this thread are positively ridiculous.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Dillo

• karmakoda

• mhosea

I think it looks freakin awesome. I'd take this over any of the other Nakayas. It's just cool.

This pen is pretty awesome - I think the Heki-tame version would win my vote (and some of my money) :)

Either that, or the Tame-Sukashi - Seirya Blue Dragon. I could stare at either of those pens for hours!

Currently using:Too many pens inked to list, I must cut back! :) I can guarantee there are flighters, urushi, and/or Sheaffer Vac-fillers in the mix!!!

As the originator of this thread I just want to add, before it gets locked, that I don't usually care for Nakayas. I don't have issues with anyone that likes Nakayas, I just don't...usually. I REALLY like this Nakaya. The name Nakaya doesn't do anything for me. The look of this pen does. The look of this pen is different. Not every pen is for everyone. Thank goodness for that otherwise we all be running around with Parker 51s and have nothing to waste our time on. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't go away mad, just go away.

The purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss. And sometimes, that means opinions which don't necessarily agree with that of others.

With all due respect, what were you expecting when you put this pen up for discussion? That only people who liked it should respond and others should "go away"? I am new here and maybe I am off base, but it seems to me that if this is so, perhaps we should have a separate Cheerleader sub-forum where no one is allowed to express anything except unadulterated fondness for whatever is shown.

Seriously - barring one or two posts, most of the people that have disagreed with this pen have done so very civilly. Why is that arousing so much angst against them?

In any case, I am bowing out of this thread. To those who like this pen, I hope it brings you a lot of joy.

True bliss: knowing that the guy next to you is suffering more than you are.

Seriously - barring one or two posts, most of the people that have disagreed with this pen have done so very civilly. Why is that arousing so much angst against them?

I think most people are responding to those one or two posts, not the rest of them. I certainly don't have a problem with differing opinions, and I think FPN would actually be better off allowing a bit more disagreement. However, my problem was with the personal attack on Ethernautrix and on others who happened to like the pen in question. They were called stupid and irrational. That's not a difference of opinion, that is malicious.

It's different and I like the look! it's not my first choice for a Nakaya but truthfully its hard to choose. I'm leaning on a Decapod (Aka or Heki) or some cigar with "Dragon" on it.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

I think it's gorgeous! And having seen it before in looking at Nakayas but not reading the 'backstory' if you will (because, frankly, who wants to read when the alternative is looking at that thing!), I never would have associated the look with being 'distressed,' or 'aged.' To me it's just a fascinating, tasteful, elegant splash of contrast. Contrast in color, contrast in texture. And both the colors/textures are excellent in their own right as well. Quite a looker!

When we used to sell the wooly mammoth ivory pens by Ferrari da Varese, it was inevitable they would all crack, and then FdV would repair the crack, leaving a line mark where the crack had been. So we eventually started selling them starting out cracked and repaired (the original crack would take the pressure off so they wouldn't crack again). It wasn't for everyone, but when you are working with natural materials like this - it's part of the story.

I personally really like this Nakaya. It is a good look and tells a story- each one original.

Scott F.

F-C on Twitter

F-C on Facebook

Franklin-Christoph.com

F o r t i t u d o....e t....F i d e s

A nice little pen. Yes. Now if these cracks were partly filled with pure gold... :cloud9:

I wouldn't be surprised if they could put some gold powder in the cracks for you.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

A nice little pen. Yes. Now if these cracks were partly filled with pure gold... :cloud9:

:lol:

And yes, I know it's bourbon.

I love it! It has a lot of character and will gain even more as it ages. I just want to reach out and touch it.

A Nakaya is not in my budget, but this really makes me want one and say to heck with the budget!

Our relationship to our things is fascinating. And even each other's things! Wow. Love is, uh, personal... I'm sure some of my Beloved's friends wonder what she is doing with the likes of moi. Oh, pens, right.... same with pens. My pens make me feel good. The one in rotation right now cost a whopping $50. Along side it is one that cost several hundred. I never went into debt for any one of them. Considering I have no money, it's a miracle I have them. If I talk about them am I showing off? I don't mean to do that, I'm just talking pen love...

What are we talking about? I forget...

Ever since Lisa first shared this pen, I thought it was a beautifully profound pen. I love it. And I thought, that style pen would fit my creative writing arsenal quite well... but thought, well, she already has one like it. Even though mine would be different, I would think "Lisa" instead of "my pen." That's just me. Thank you, Lisa, for sharing your Nakaya, and heraclitus682 for starting a thread about a broken beautiful pen. (Although, I never saw it as broken, either, uh, ether...)

I'm not always so generous with my own treasures.

I try not to say "I love" with pens, because they are pens not living beings. But I can't help myself. I love them. Esp. urushi pens.

Cheers,

Juliehappyberet.gif

Edited by jde

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Julie, jde, you're funny, :ltcapd: (now I'm thinking Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, "Whaddayamean I'm funny??..Like I amyooze yoo?"), but I thought similarly, that this pen seems so personal that it's really Lisa's pen, only Lisa's pen, so I wondered about creative input into tweaking the design. If that's encouraged, I may be on board for my first Nakaya. Could think of owning this pen as belonging to a very exclusive global association.

What are the odds that you're going to run into someone else with a Nakaya Piccolo Negoro Shiro-tame fountain pen?

It would be interesting to see a photo of this pen, next to a more familiar pen, Montblanc 146?, or other? Parker '51?

Aw, thanks, Jules.

A note of clarification: I didn't design this custom pen. Another Nakaya customer had designed the pen, and when I saw it on Nakaya's website, I wanted it, hard. Heh.

Someone else (I'm sorry, I've forgotten the name) has one almost just like it -- same design and colors. So at least two are out in the world.

I would love to see yours, karmakoda, if you order one, tweaked or not. We could start the Nakaya Negoro Alliance.

FYI for San Francisco locals: John Mottishaw (nibs.com) will be at the SF Pen Show in October, so if you're curious about the fuss over Nakayas, here's your chance to see an array of models and colors.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I know this sounds vague, but so is my memory... Long time ago I read about someone (JPMorgan comes to mind) who commissioned a very large Persian carpet. It took long time to be made. When it was delivered, he saw that it did not have the sheen which a Persian carpet gets from being walked on. Morgan sent it back to Iran and had people walk on it for (don't remember how long) a long time to acquire the desired patina.

True story? Maybe, apropos. There is a beauty which an object gets from constant natural use that can't be duplicated.

(people standing around for the family photo) "Alright everyone, act spontaneous!"

A note of clarification: I didn't design this custom pen. Another Nakaya customer had designed the pen, and when I saw it on Nakaya's website, I wanted it, hard. Heh.

Yes, I meant only by association not by, uh, creation.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I know this sounds vague, but so is my memory... Long time ago I read about someone (JPMorgan comes to mind) who commissioned a very large Persian carpet. It took long time to be made. When it was delivered, he saw that it did not have the sheen which a Persian carpet gets from being walked on. Morgan sent it back to Iran and had people walk on it for (don't remember how long) a long time to acquire the desired patina.

True story? Maybe, apropos. There is a beauty which an object gets from constant natural use that can't be duplicated.

(people standing around for the family photo) "Alright everyone, act spontaneous!"

I agree; I have a leather pen case that has acquired a beautiful patina (from years of use) that gets comments whenever I take it out. I'm glad that I bought it new and that it shows the years of service it has given me.

I didn't want this pen because it looked well-used or vintage; it does not. It looks new and shiny yet conveys a walk in the woods. To me, it looks like contemporary folk art. With years of use, the pen should grow only more beautiful.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Indeed, Lisa, this pen keeps growing on me, every time I see it. Beautiful, thought provoking pen. :cloud9:

"Have fountain pen, will travel."

The Nakaya website is user friendly and helpful, amazing range of artisan crafted pens.

http://www.nakaya.org/en/default.aspx

As it turns out, there is ample room for creative input that should work for me.

I will absolutely share the results Lisa. :happyberet:

Handwriting for an ink review sold me on Nakaya nibs.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15265-noodlers-army-green-next-to-a-penny/

Now, if I could just make the Pen Show in San Francisco. :hmm1:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6056/6294506874_a129fbd30e.jpg

I have five other Nakayas to distress myself (plus one on the way if it ever gets here (past eight months waiting... (*taps foot*)).

This is ART. Considering my earnings, these pens are expensive. On the other hand, I can figure out the huge number of hours and the first class materials needed to make one of these and then, the price sounds right. Thank you Lisa for sharing this. This brand makes me dream!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/8054168349_d7012ee6b5_n.jpgM y o t h e r l i f e h e r e .