This Is Awesome. A Brand New "broken" Nakaya

Brian C

There is a long tradition among Asian craftsmen to simulate

imperfections in their wares. For hundreds of years porcelain items have been

designed with colors that were intentionally made to look faded or runny and

even with surface finishes that were to look mis-fired and crackled.

It's like a woman's beautiful complexion. Is it disfigured by a mole,

or enhanced by a beauty mark?

For me, it is enhanced. Imperfection adds humanity.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Dillo

• karmakoda

• mhosea

First, thank you to those of you are defending me personally. I didn't take this thread seriously until Krishna waffled on his point, saying in effect, "no malice intended but you're stupid." Man up, Krishna. It's obvious what your opinion is. Trying to qualify your insult is politely called "sending mixed messages" but in slang is called a "mind-'f-word.'" It's passive aggressive, and really, upon further consideration, I don't know why I cared enough to respond. I guess it was late, and I was tired, so I let your silly opinion get to me. I mean, really, who are you?

But, gee, I'm feeling the lovefest from some of you, and I'm a little abashed and a little (what's the adjective form for "preening?"). (But preening modestly, preening humbly.) I appreciate it. Special "awww, thank you" to karmakoda. Lovely of you to say.

Second, it wasn't my intention to defend this pen specifically, although, of course, I used it to explain why an expensive POS item, ha ha ha, could appeal to some as it obviously was simply an expensive POS item to others.

I don't care that you don't like this pen, my pen. But if you call me stupid to my face, I'm probably going to respond.

V, I wasn't singling you out and tried to express it by explicitly saying "universal you." The only part of your commentary I was addressing was the part about buying a non-Nakaya brand pen that looked just like this one. The rest was addressed generally and specifically to Krishna (tried to signify that at the end). I apologize if you felt I was letting my frustration out on you. I get along very well with people who have different opinions than mine; it isn't the opinions but the way they are expressed that are the measure of a man. (Well, that's probably not entirely true, but it's in the mix.) (*Laughing*) And I noted the care you took to express the same sentiments as Krishna without the insult. Thank you.

minimax447: "If you want that look buy something genuinely old and vintage with some real history." When I abdicate my sensibilities and resources, you will have to take a number and stand in line, as there seems to be countless others who would like to dictate how I live and make choices. Lordy, how did I make it this far in life all on my own with my own will? Whatever shall I do now that I have no money left over for repair and tuning? How will I buy ink? Oh no, I have no food and no shelter! Truly, I am an idiot, for I spent every last dime and maxed out my credit cards and have no way of taking care of myself! But at least I have this one fountain pen that now costs $900 to cuddle and keep me warm as I lie on the sidewalk and dream of--wait, what about all of my other fountain pens? Was I not supposed to buy so many? Wait here, I have to go check with Fountain Pen Network to find out if I have spent too much or not spent enough!

BTW, if I wanted something genuinely old and vintage, then I'm sure I would be aware of that fact and that's where I would focus my pen search.

Not that it's anyone's business, but I do happen to like antique... cabinets. I do not like the pre-distressed look of modern cabinets, so I understand the kneejerk desire to hork one's breakfast at the mere thought of buying a new item made to look antique or jeans that are sold new that look like they came from the Goodwill. Shocking that one can discern the value in one so-called pre-distressed item from the whole trend of pre-distressing new things to look used.

When I saw this pen, it never occurred to me that it was in the pre-distressed category, in that it isn't meant to fool anybody into thinking it's an antique pen. It's obviously new and rather than "broken," to me it's more like a pen that's made to look like a piece of bamboo; it recalls a forest, a walk in the woods. That isn't "vintage." That's timeless; that's the art of it. When I saw it for the first time on nakaya.org, I was excited, because it looked like something I had experienced (that's a visceral reaction to beauty and sensory memory), and no other pen, vintage or modern, has struck that chord in me. I've been around pens my whole life; I'm not new at this.

REPEAT: I am not new at this.

Lastly, and sorry for going on at Bo Bo Olson length (*nods to Bo Bo*), I'll share what I do when I get frustrated with the postings on fpn.

I stop reading for a few days. No fanfare, no calling people names, no attention-getting maneuvers. I just... stop reading for a few days. It's not anyone else's fault that they, for instance, think black ink is boring. Black ink is boring?! What are you writing? I want to say. I just stop reading those threads. Some people find black ink boring. I can't wrap my mind around that, but I'm not going to say they're stupid. (I don't think they are stupid. Maybe that's why I wouldn't say it. Maybe that's why when someone here says I am stupid, I naturally take offense.)

What I'm saying is that the occasional frustration I'll experience having been playing here for over four years is 1) natural, 2) cyclical, and 3) MY issue, not yours for having different sensibilities from mine. The variety of opinions is what makes conversations interesting and generally worth having.

In closing, for all of you who decry my so-called broken pen -- it is not BROKEN. It has been designed in a particular way which to me looks like New England Autumn; it is not wabi sabi. The wabi sabi will occur over years and years of use. Aaaaaand, it might amuse you to know that I wear white gloves when I use this pen and take great care to make sure it doesn't get scratched or marred, even from normal wear-and-tear.

I'm kidding. I use the pen (not in current rotation) as I use all of my pens -- with nominal care and great enjoyment, and I hope that all of you enjoy your pens just the way you like. There was someone recently who said he smashed his pens out of frustration. I thought that was hilarious. Others were dismayed. I kindv thought that was funny, too. I didn't take any of it seriously. But if someone gets angry and wants to smash his pen -- it's his perogative. I thought he was exaggerating for effect -- and maybe to get a reaction, and he did. Bravo.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Dear friends,

I love very much this kind of pen and I'm surely tryin to have one.

I also love Denim the jeans tissue.

As you know many of us love the look "stone washed" made by designer.

There is a "broken" style too that is not so loved but sometimes good looking.

I'm a fan of denim but I have not one of my 10 loved jeans in the classical blue.

All of them are made by Diesel surely known in the rest of the world.

So..... I don't want to wait 20 years with the same jeans all days of the year to have the right used look.

I'm also sure to buy a real piece of art every time (also for the price between 120 and 260 euro! ).

The Nakaya "used look" is a radical style, not many people love this kind of art.

This is an "elite pen" like heavy metal in music or vance & hines in the Harley Davidson world and so on.....

The very important thing is the respect we must have with people who like these different ways of art.

Thanks and have all a nice night!

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

When I saw this pen, it never occurred to me that it was in the pre-distressed category, in that it isn't meant to fool anybody into thinking it's an antique pen. It's obviously new and rather than "broken," to me it's more like a pen that's made to look like a piece of bamboo; it recalls a forest, a walk in the woods. That isn't "vintage." That's timeless; that's the art of it. When I saw it for the first time on nakaya.org, I was excited, because it looked like something I had experienced (that's a visceral reaction to beauty and sensory memory), and no other pen, vintage or modern, has struck that chord in me. I've been around pens my whole life; I'm not new at this.

I like that new perspective. I admit, I hadn't thought of it that way. While it certainly won't be my first nakaya, it certainly is growing on me.

The fact that anyone has anything to say other than, "oh this pen is for me/not for me" is pretty impressive. While it may not be MY thing, as long as you (lisa) and anyone else that purchases likes it, who am I to judge. :thumbup:

Hi,

There is also something special about it. It takes a good eye to know where to put down the distressing in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

While it may not be MY thing, as long as you (lisa) and anyone else that purchases likes it, who am I to judge. :thumbup:

Thanks, Flake, but I want to make clear, I'm not trying to force or persuade others to like this pen. I don't care if people don't like this pen or think it's ugly or ridiculous. That's their opinion; right on. It is fine to judge the pen according to your own aesthetics and desires. There are plenty of pens out there that others swoon over that do nothing for me. But it's PENS. I'm not going to feel bothered or frustrated that others love pens that don't interest me. I truly do have better things to think about and do than deride people for their taste in pens. (*Laughing*) And I do those things without giving the matter a second thought.

It's when people say they don't understand how others can like something they don't like, that's not my problem; that's their problem. Maybe they should figure out why they don't understand how it can be that others have different perceptions, different sensibilities. Or not. That's their prerogative. Expand your world or shrink it or embrace your status quo -- that's up to you. Universal you.

Seriously, don't like my pen. Don't even look at it.

No, it's okay. You can look at it. You don't have to like it, though.

Actually, you do. You do have to like it.

No, you don't.

*Nods.*

Not really!

*Nods more emphatically.*

*Raises an eyebrow.*

Totally up to you.

*Nods.*

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

I like your pen, and I will look at it...

Here is another type of Nakaya that has something similar. Look at the middle pen. That's mine.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8433/7681496518_725429e718_c.jpg

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

It always amazing me those who criticize with nastiness. I hear the same thing with Montblanc pens. You only need to mention precious resin and let the negative chorus begins. It is hard sometimes to understand emotions from written words, but even the title of this thread seems inflammatory. Is it really a "broken" Nakaya?

It appears that those who are the most vitriol can not afford the pens. Out of envy, they criticize individuals for their choice of pens that they themselves can not afford. I am not equating lower income as being envious.* It is the personality flaw of envy that is the crux of the matter. The same envious personality that could afford a Mercedes, but not a Rolls-Royce would criticize the Rolls-Royce.

I could be wrong in my assumption, but life experiences seems to imply this, even if anecdotal.

*I have met and known many people who would be considered poor by U.S. standards, who were happy in their lives. It did not matter to them, if they did not have something. They were also less critical of others.

The internet seems to bring the worse out in some individuals. Would people really behave the same way in person, I doubt it.

Edited by JustinJ

Hi,

There is also something special about it. It takes a good eye to know where to put down the distressing in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

Dillon

Yes, Dillon. That's where the artistry is. Also (having looked at your Negoro-style pen), I was tempted by that style, too. I think it was the red or orange and black one that recalled for me the Japanese influence on my mother's side. The Japanese influence is why I love the kuro tamenuri finish, as it reminds me of my mother's lacquer letter boxes and other functional items I saw around the home. It's functional art that conveys a sense of place and cultural aesthetics if not time.

Which is funny, because until I started reading reviews about Nakaya and Danitrio on FPN, I had a kneejerk reaction to avoid Japanese maki-e pens. People tend to consider me Japanese. I am not; I am an American. My mother is Japanese. It's why I speak of Japanese cultural influences rather than saying I'm half-Japanese (which is technically true). My reaction was formed by non-Japanese people expecting me to be Japanese and to know more about Japan and the culture than I did (I don't even speak the language, although I started out learning two languages when I was a baby). I thought that the maki-e pens were an Asianphile's fetish market. It could be that, but that isn't all it is; I mean, there might be an element of that in the mix, but it certainly isn't what it is. So I'm glad I overcame my own reverse double-loop inside out prejudice and came to see the craftsmanship and beauty of Japanese urushi and maki-e pens.

etherX in To Miasto

It always amazing me those who criticize with nastiness. I hear the same thing with Montblanc pens. You only need to mention precious resin and let the negative chorus begin. It is hard sometimes to understand emotions from written words, but even the title of this thread seems inflammatory. Is it really a "broken" Nakaya?

It's the anti-snobbery snobbery. I guess it all boils down to people wanting to feel better than others, which I suppose is human nature. But... if (universal) you are better than others, I suppose others will simply recognize it without your having to beat your chest and harangue others for the simple pleasures in their lives.

So what if someone buys a Montblanc to impress his colleagues at work? The pen might catch someone's eye, but it won't cover up the pen-owner's behavior. So, again, who cares why someone buys an expensive pen? It isn't a replacement for actual character.

But I suppose we have to talk about something on the Fountain Pen Network, and Montblanc and Nakaya and Lamy are the closest things to politics and religion as we're allowed to get.

etherX in To Miasto

I think that this thread is getting just a little bit outta control.

Sometimes I read threads were I would say OH BOY ..., but than I tell myself: "This it's not my business."

People can do what ever they want with their money or how they feel like.

Hi,

Dillon

Yes, Dillon. That's where the artistry is. Also (having looked at your Negoro-style pen), I was tempted by that style, too. I think it was the red or orange and black one that recalled for me the Japanese influence on my mother's side. The Japanese influence is why I love the kuro tamenuri finish, as it reminds me of my mother's lacquer letter boxes and other functional items I saw around the home. It's functional art that conveys a sense of place and cultural aesthetics if not time.

Which is funny, because until I started reading reviews about Nakaya and Danitrio on FPN, I had a kneejerk reaction to avoid Japanese maki-e pens. People tend to consider me Japanese. I am not; I am an American. My mother is Japanese. It's why I speak of Japanese cultural influences rather than saying I'm half-Japanese (which is technically true). My reaction was formed by non-Japanese people expecting me to be Japanese and to know more about Japan and the culture than I did (I don't even speak the language, although I started out learning two languages when I was a baby). I thought that the maki-e pens were an Asianphile's fetish market. It could be that, but that isn't all it is; I mean, there might be an element of that in the mix, but it certainly isn't what it is. So I'm glad I overcame my own reverse double-loop inside out prejudice and came to see the craftsmanship and beauty of Japanese urushi and maki-e pens.

Very true. Also you notice on the Negoro-nuri pen, there are parts where the lacquer is rubbed off and other parts where the lacquer is scraped. It is very organic and tastefully done. It takes a good eye to know where to rub, where to scrape, and where to place these things. I wasn't sure I would like it, but it is one of my favorite pens. I take it everywhere with me. I didn't get to pick the color though.

Dillon

Dillon

As the originator of this thread I just want to add, before it gets locked, that I don't usually care for Nakayas. I don't have issues with anyone that likes Nakayas, I just don't...usually. I REALLY like this Nakaya. The name Nakaya doesn't do anything for me. The look of this pen does. The look of this pen is different. Not every pen is for everyone. Thank goodness for that otherwise we all be running around with Parker 51s and have nothing to waste our time on. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't go away mad, just go away.

It always amazing me those who criticize with nastiness. I hear the same thing with Montblanc pens. You only need to mention precious resin and let the negative chorus begin. It is hard sometimes to understand emotions from written words, but even the title of this thread seems inflammatory. Is it really a "broken" Nakaya?

It appears that those who are the most vitriol can not afford the pens. Out of envy, they criticize individuals for their choice of pens that they themselves can not afford. I am not equating lower income as being envious.* It is the personality flaw of envy that is the crux of the matter. The same envious personality that could afford a Mercedes, but not a Rolls-Royce would criticize the Rolls-Royce.

I could be wrong in my assumption, but life experiences seems to imply this, even if anecdotal.

*I have met and known many people who would be considered poor by U.S. standards, who were happy in their lives. It did not matter to them, if they did not have something. They were also less critical of others.

The internet seems to bring the worse out in some individuals. Would people really behave the same way in person, I doubt it.

agree... to the underlined.

PS. i prefer the RR over Mercedes, even if i can't offord either - and i'm poor by third world country standards.

The positive and non-inflammatory comments in this post outweigh the others, and the OP simply presented an enthusiastic invitation to view an "awesome" pen. I hope the discussion continues with some healthy self-regulatory controls applied.

"Smile" - Charlie Chaplin

As the originator of this thread I just want to add, before it gets locked, that I don't usually care for Nakayas. I don't have issues with anyone that likes Nakayas, I just don't...usually. I REALLY like this Nakaya. The name Nakaya doesn't do anything for me. The look of this pen does. The look of this pen is different. Not every pen is for everyone. Thank goodness for that otherwise we all be running around with Parker 51s and have nothing to waste our time on. If you don't like it, that's fine. Don't go away mad, just go away.

I agree. Also, it certainly is a unique look.

Dillon

Dillon

First, possible sour grapes alert. A pen costing even a third of what this one does is above what I would currently be willing to pay for any pen, so any talk about "I wouldn't want that" is hypothetical.

Very much a matter of personal taste, with no objective right or wrong. I totally understand the explanations of why some people find this look attractive, but I can't convince myself to agree with them. My eyes and brain have talked things over, and simply don't see the beauty in it. If I had a pen that wrote beautifully, I wouldn't let genuine damage to the finish stop me from using it, but it's not a look I admire for its own sake.

Well, no harm done. I've seen people describe pens as hideous which look pretty good to me.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Oh good grief.

Ethernautrix - class act. Love reading your posts, and may you have many long years of enjoyment with this pen.