• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• Dillo

• karmakoda

• Brian C

Well, I once read that Keith Richards would buy guitars from the Fender custom shop and have them "aged" with scratches and cigarette burns. And nowadays most blue jeans are pre-aged (and priced higher accordingly).

I'd like a Nakaya someday, but I would be willing to pay less money and do the aging myself.

Each to his own. I prefer to age my own stuff, but that's me. And I'm old, so I'm good at it. ;)

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Wabi Sabi is ain't. That comes from real usage. If I had a Nakaya and I wanted it to look distressed, I'd give it to my daughter to take to the playground.

Edited by Lloyd

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I dunno, I like it. Ethernautrix posted a picture of her's awhile back and it made me wish I could afford one.

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6056/6294506874_a129fbd30e.jpg

I have five other Nakayas to distress myself (plus one on the way if it ever gets here (past eight months waiting... (*taps foot*)).

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

*Ahem* That is my pen. John took pictures of it before sending it on its way to me.

It's lovely, Lisa; you're one lucky lady :thumbup:

Grace and Peace are already yours because God is the Creator of all of life and Jesus Christ the Redeemer of each and every life.

It is for sale! That's to show you the style. It won't be identical to mine, but it will be that style. If you look on Nakaya's website (search for Negoro shiro tame), you'll see other color combinations, as well, such as heki-tamenuri and an orange color, and the "wabi-sabi" are all slightly different.

etherX in To Miasto

Well, I once read that Keith Richards would buy guitars from the Fender custom shop and have them "aged" with scratches and cigarette burns.

A good example. Fender actually makes a bunch of guitars available with a relic finish where theyve actually made the guitar look vintage. It costs up to an extra $1000 to do it! It looks pretty convincing though. The way Nakaya distressed that pen doesnt look very convincing to me.

Check out this brand new Rory Gallagher distressed guitar and tell me it doesnt look legit!

http://images.fendercs.com/products/guitars/0150080800_frt_wlg.png

Edited by ninjandrew

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6056/6294506874_a129fbd30e.jpg

I have five other Nakayas to distress myself (plus one on the way if it ever gets here (past eight months waiting... (*taps foot*)).

I kinda love it too. Same goes for my jeans... distressed but not worn out...

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I've admired your pen from afar too 'ethernautrix', and have often wondered if I should order one to go with this little pot I found in a local quilt/antique store - owned by a Japanese couple! I just couldn't believe my luck when I saw this........it was for storing green tea powder....for A$60 - and it now holds my postage stamps! Enjoy!

edited to add that of course this is usage wear!

http://dxlab.ky1v.com/zzz/open%20pot.jpg

Edited by Chris Chalmers

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

That looks amazing! I just wish it cost the same as a "regular" Nakaya (around $500 - $600).

(EDIT: Damn typos!)

Edited by mcnoodle

I've admired your pen from afar too 'ethernautrix', and have often wondered if I should order one to go with this little pot I found in a local quilt/antique store - owned by a Japanese couple! I just couldn't believe my luck when I saw this........it was for storing green tea powder....for A$60 - and it now holds my postage stamps! Enjoy!

edited to add that of course this is usage wear!

http://dxlab.ky1v.com/zzz/open%20pot.jpg

That's lovely, Chris. Nakaya does a finish like that, as well, and I was tempted by it.

I agree that the worn look through actual use is preferable, but I don't mind one of my Nakayas getting a head start. I'm doing what I can with the others, perhaps such loving wear will be obvious in... however long it takes. I'm in it for the long haul!

etherX in To Miasto

That looks amazing! I just wish it cost the same as a "regular" Nakaya (around $500 - $600).

(EDIT: Damn typos!)

As I said in another thread about this pen: "I paid extra for those flaws! Those flaws are perfect!"

etherX in To Miasto

I like it, I've read about how such pens age but not been sure how that would appear. I know this is extreme wear and I cant imagine what would cause a pen to crack like this but seeing the layers is amazing. One day I'll manage to have something that wears like this, untill then I must be satisfied with the wear of use on my other things.

Wabi Sabi is ain't. That comes from real usage. If I had a Nakaya and I wanted it to look distressed, I'd give it to my daughter to take to the playground.

But that's not wabi-sabi at all... it's the aged broken in/worn look from years go gentle use. I could make it look broken, just by running a car over it a couple of times... but that's not what it's supposed to look like.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Well, I once read that Keith Richards would buy guitars from the Fender custom shop and have them "aged" with scratches and cigarette burns. And nowadays most blue jeans are pre-aged (and priced higher accordingly).

I'd like a Nakaya someday, but I would be willing to pay less money and do the aging myself.

+1 for this. I could do the ageing myself too. :lol: