Mont Blanc Service In Melbourne

Spidy

O.K. This is getting annoying. The 149 almost always skips on cold starts when I write a vertical line. Writing a series of IIIIIIII, the pen skips almost 50 percent of the time.

My problem is I'm too far away from the renowned nibmeisters who frequent this forum so I'm stuck with either Mont Blanc service here, or a local nibmeister.

The pen is brand new and I inked it for the second time tonight. It got a little better initially but reverted back to it's annoying ways.

Can any Melbournians either recommend a local nibmeister, or talk about their dealings with Mont Blanc service in Melbourne.

I'm thinking of taking it to the local boutique on Collins street and get them to send it off for service, but understandably, I'm somewhat reluctant.

Just as an aside, the pen was not bought from this boutique.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spidy

• sunnerd

• seriph

• tanalasta

If this pen is not vintage and you don't mind them exchanging parts, then the repair centre in Melbourne is ok. Be prepared to be slaughtered...:bunny01:

Get a quote first.

There is no other "local" nibmeister in Australia. The cupboard is bare.

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Wouldn't it be under warranty or am I being naive now?

What about "John" at Pen City in Elisabeth Street? I believe he is an adept servicer, but I have no personal experience with him ... The staff at MB in Collins St. are friendly enough but I don't feel they are real 'pen people' ... don't want to be disingenuous in any way, as they have been very kind to me ... but you know what I mean. You would possibly be best served by a hands-on penatic (new word just invented there)

Again, probably a naive statement, but don't nibs need running in?

Steve A.

eternal apprentice eternal optimist

Nice pens here: http://tinyurl.com/truebeauties

I find the MB boutique on Collins street friendly, but relatively inexperienced and more 'sales' people than passionate about pens. You get much different service depending upon how you dress (and what pen you have in your pocket or are looking at).

Australian prices for anything is obscene. You should consider warranty in the first instance for a new pen. IF not, then no matter what distance, Australia Post Platinum international (courier equivalent) willl get your pen to most nibmeisters of note. Mike Mayusama used to have a shorter waiting list as does Greg Minuskin. I have a preference towards John but you really need to pay for rush service if you expect to get your pen back within half a year or so.

Try flushing out very well to ensure it's not a clog. Failing that, hard to diagnose without looking and using the pen. Could be anything from a poorly adjusted feed, clogged feed, baby bottomed nib etc..

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

...Be prepared to be slaughtered...:bunny01:.....

:yikes:

Well, good to know, though in this case it's a brand new pen, so I better decide what to do before the warranty runs out.

Have you ever sent a pen to Mont Blanc service that was out of warranty? Just curious to know what the service fee was and if it's the same model used in the US (only more expensive).

Wouldn't it be under warranty or am I being naive now?

What about "John" at Pen City in Elisabeth Street? I believe he is an adept servicer, but I have no personal experience with him ... The staff at MB in Collins St. are friendly enough but I don't feel they are real 'pen people' ... don't want to be disingenuous in any way, as they have been very kind to me ... but you know what I mean. You would possibly be best served by a hands-on penatic (new word just invented there)

Again, probably a naive statement, but don't nibs need running in?

Yes you're right, it's a new pen therefore under warranty. But I've heard too many times Mont Blanc service in Melbourne don't know what they're doing, hence all the questions. I've spoken to John and he did say the same thing and that he can repair Mont Blancs. I don't know if he does warranty repairs though.

I also agree with you about the staff at Collins street. As to your last statement, that's what I thought also after doing some reading, but how long does it take for the nib to be run in and will this problem be solved? That is my dilemma.

I find the MB boutique on Collins street friendly, but relatively inexperienced and more 'sales' people than passionate about pens. You get much different service depending upon how you dress (and what pen you have in your pocket or are looking at).

Australian prices for anything is obscene. You should consider warranty in the first instance for a new pen. IF not, then no matter what distance, Australia Post Platinum international (courier equivalent) willl get your pen to most nibmeisters of note. Mike Mayusama used to have a shorter waiting list as does Greg Minuskin. I have a preference towards John but you really need to pay for rush service if you expect to get your pen back within half a year or so.

Try flushing out very well to ensure it's not a clog. Failing that, hard to diagnose without looking and using the pen. Could be anything from a poorly adjusted feed, clogged feed, baby bottomed nib etc..

Yes, agreed about the Collins street. staff and about Australian prices. That's why I bought the pen overseas. As for the overseas nibmeisters, that's my last resort, I don't want to be without the pen for longer than I have to. I'd rather use the Mont Blanc service here but I also want a good job. It's disheartening to spend so much money on a pen supposedly in a class of it's own and my $15 Parker fountain pen writes flawlessly. I'm not saying the cheap Parker writes better, it's scratchy and not very wet, but at least it never cold starts or skips.

As far as a clog being the possible cause, I can't see how that would occur on a brand new pen. These symptoms occurred right from the get go. I have read though that flushing with a little detergent has helped others with this problem in the past. I've also read that a nib needs to be run in. I just hope that after running the nib in, this problem will disappear. But how long does it take to run a nib in?

Again, please forgive my ignorance (or not I guess) but could you perhaps scan a pic of the problem when you write and post it here? I am trying to better understand the issues around fountain pens because I hope to make a couple and the last thing I'd want is to go broke through losing my reputation through the pens not doing that which they were literally made for - a pen that doesn't write properly seems insane - I have a $6 Chinese job that just never misses a beat ... I bought it to see just how bad pens could be and was happily shown up. When a "prestige" pen doesn't write straight out of the box, I just don't get it.

Steve A.

1. Pen city at Elizabeth st is not an authorised MB dealer anymore. So they won't honour mb warranty.

2. I once had a pen with John and waited for > 6 months and it was still not looked at. I was told he was sick, I ended up sending it to Greg Minuskin.

3. I wrote before that I had a silver barley 146 with a broken piston. costed me $245 to have it replaced. That's why I said be prepared to be slaughtered :-)

4. I would recommend speaking with Randall of the repair center (phone number should be available at their website) and bypass the drones in the boutique. At least he knows what he's talking about and probably will give you an estimate or what to bring to claim warranty service right away. You'll ring in the morning, leave a message at the answering machine and he'll call back around lunch time.

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

I've had a pen at pencity for 2 years now...... Still not looked at.

I ring up every six months or so, just to remind them. I'm now regarding it as an experiment (which is why I haven't claimed it back) but will probably just collect it at the end of the year. Hopefully they won't charge me rent or storage costs.

A friend had a repair done at Mont Blanc's Sydney store and it was quick and not too costly all things considered.

Edited by ruffcat

1. Pen city at Elizabeth st is not an authorised MB dealer anymore. So they won't honour mb warranty.

2. I once had a pen with John and waited for > 6 months and it was still not looked at. I was told he was sick, I ended up sending it to Greg Minuskin.

3. I wrote before that I had a silver barley 146 with a broken piston. costed me $245 to have it replaced. That's why I said be prepared to be slaughtered :-)

4. I would recommend speaking with Randall of the repair center (phone number should be available at their website) and bypass the drones in the boutique. At least he knows what he's talking about and probably will give you an estimate or what to bring to claim warranty service right away. You'll ring in the morning, leave a message at the answering machine and he'll call back around lunch time.

Really, Pen City is no longer an authorised Mont Blanc dealer?! Well, based on what you've said I'll bypass John. I did get the impression that he wasn't being completely forthcoming when I spoke to him. He seemed to really hate Mont Blanc and their service.

Can you please give me Randall's phone number? I have been unable to find out any information on the Melbourne Mont Blanc repair centre.

Can you please give me Randall's phone number? I have been unable to find out any information on the Melbourne Mont Blanc repair centre.

Argh, you looked at the wrong web site :-)

If you look at www.montblanc.com, it's for the US market and you won't find a thing. You have to goto www.montblanc.de to find it (if you know German!)

Anyway, Melbourne Service center:

Level 4, 450 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne VIC 3004

Tel: 03-8866 9500

Good luck.

Best regards, Kai

If you look at www.montblanc.com, it's for the US market and you won't find a thing. You have to goto www.montblanc.de to find it (if you know German!)

Good luck.

Thank you very much. I'll keep the members abreast of the outcome.

Again, please forgive my ignorance (or not I guess) but could you perhaps scan a pic of the problem when you write and post it here? I am trying to better understand the issues around fountain pens because I hope to make a couple and the last thing I'd want is to go broke through losing my reputation through the pens not doing that which they were literally made for - a pen that doesn't write properly seems insane - I have a $6 Chinese job that just never misses a beat ... I bought it to see just how bad pens could be and was happily shown up. When a "prestige" pen doesn't write straight out of the box, I just don't get it.

O.K. Here it is....http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/PhilSpidy/IMG_0597.jpg

As you can see it's not only the vertical lines, sometimes the horizontal lines skip as well as evidenced by the missing arrow line.

Written on Clairefontaine Triomphe paper.

Edited by Spidy

O.K. Here it is....http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/PhilSpidy/IMG_0597.jpg

As you can see it's not only the vertical lines, sometimes the horizontal lines skip as well as evidenced by the missing arrow line.

Written on Clairefontaine Triomphe paper.

Dear pen owner,

The Fountain Pen Network Administrators only allows me to say the following phrase:

"I would welcome the opportunity to work on that pen!"

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

heh - funny how things work out .... level 4, 450 St. KildA Rd. Melbourne was the first address of my firm

:)

Are you related to The Hour Glass? If so, more gripes from me :roflmho:

Best regards, Kai

God no - my firm was called ECG - started in 1983 ... left that premises in 1987 - we were Australia's first career development company .... these days it appears that career coaching is the realm of anyone with a superannuation payout who needs to buy a job

:)

Steve A.

Good luck.

Kai, your information is spot on, except for Randall. The lady who answered the phone has never heard of him. Apparently, the current technician's name is Matt.

Anyway, I was told I could bring the pen in and he'll look at it for me on the spot and assess immediately. The only trouble is, they only open on weekdays. :(

Still though, it's a start, I can bypass the boutique altogether and have face to face contact with the technician.

Thanks again for all your help.

Even a brand new pen ... could potentially clog as they dip their pens to test - unlikely however to be the problem if you've flushed it well.

Sunnerd will set you right with the MB contact.

MB's warranty is international - as long as purchased from an authorised retailer or boutique so in the first instance, I would suggest MB service. It could be as simple as replacing and/or restting the feed rather than a baby bottom or nib tip issue.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)