Official Edison Group Buy - Progress Thread

Hmmm, haven't been getting notifications for this thread, but it looks like things are moving along nicely.

I'm very happy with the ebonite, but I too wish I could have gotten both. The Colbalt is nice.

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Trillium

• Jimmy James

• crazystan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Even though I didn't sign up for one of the pens, I'm greatly enjoying following the progress of it all - and a question turns up. Why is it that the cobalt acrylic is in rectangular bars and the ebonite in round bars? Does anybody know?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

Even though I didn't sign up for one of the pens, I'm greatly enjoying following the progress of it all - and a question turns up. Why is it that the cobalt acrylic is in rectangular bars and the ebonite in round bars? Does anybody know?

Apparently ebonite is extruded from a machine, much like how pasta is, in a long rod, and then cut to length. I bought some ebonite from indy-pen-dance and it too is in a rod. I think acrylic is cast in a giant block, and just cut into rods, thus the square shape. That's my understanding of things.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Apparently ebonite is extruded from a machine, much like how pasta is, in a long rod, and then cut to length. I bought some ebonite from indy-pen-dance and it too is in a rod. I think acrylic is cast in a giant block, and just cut into rods, thus the square shape. That's my understanding of things.

Yep....except acrylic is cast into a sheet, not a block.....but close enough. :)

Thanks Brian! Can't wait to see the pictures of the Ebonite work! puddle.gif clap1.gif

In use today: MB LeGrand Pettit Prince and Aviator, Pelikan M100N, Conid First Production Run demonstrator.

Yep....except acrylic is cast into a sheet, not a block.....but close enough. :)

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you may just find you get what you need

Rolling Stones

OK.

Right now, around 20 Cobalt pens are finished.

Ebonite is underway....

Pens that are sanded, waiting to be polished....

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-Dxb8z5f/0/L/i-Dxb8z5f-L.jpg

About 24 ebonite pens that have been sanded and polished. Need to add clips, final touches and final assembly...

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-CrvSK5t/0/XL/i-CrvSK5t-XL.jpg

OK.

Right now, around 20 Cobalt pens are finished.

About 24 ebonite pens that have been sanded and polished. Need to add clips, final touches and final assembly...

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-CrvSK5t/0/XL/i-CrvSK5t-XL.jpg

:puddle:

Can I have the one sixth from the left? ;)

Edited by Kaspar

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

Again, "Wow"! Those ebonites are looking great!!!! It seems they may be done just a little earlier than expected at this rate! Woohoo!

Again, "Wow"! Those ebonites are looking great!!!! It seems they may be done just a little earlier than expected at this rate! Woohoo!

If Brian is attending the Atlanta pen show (which is tentative on his calendar), I wonder if he'll have to stop before getting through them all in order to prep for the show.

My guess is we're looking good to get our pens quickly if he's not going to Atlanta because I'd think he could probably turn them before prepping for the Chicago show. Another wild card, however, is the debut of the next Edison/Goulet joint (very Spike Lee of me?). If that product debuts and goes into ordering this week or next like I seem to think it will, things might get pushed back a bit more. All in all, Brian has given us a time frame, and I'm sure he will be getting our pens to us well within that time frame. Earlier is a bonus but not an issue if the rest of his business precludes it. :thumbup:

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

If Brian is attending the Atlanta pen show (which is tentative on his calendar), I wonder if he'll have to stop before getting through them all in order to prep for the show.

My guess is we're looking good to get our pens quickly if he's not going to Atlanta because I'd think he could probably turn them before prepping for the Chicago show. Another wild card, however, is the debut of the next Edison/Goulet joint (very Spike Lee of me?). If that product debuts and goes into ordering this week or next like I seem to think it will, things might get pushed back a bit more. All in all, Brian has given us a time frame, and I'm sure he will be getting our pens to us well within that time frame. Earlier is a bonus but not an issue if the rest of his business precludes it. :thumbup:

We won't be in Atlanta, so that will not effect the timing of these pens.

They will definitely be ready before Chicago.

As far as the Edison/Goulet joint goes, keep your eyes open. The Goulet's will be posting some sneak peeks this week, and we might be launching that pen next week. We have a lot already made. We are waiting for a shipment of some "special parts" to arrive to do the final assembly. So those pens, requiring only a final assembly, also will not really effect this project.

You guys will probably be real happy with the time of delivery....we're on track for a nice delivery time. I like to under-promise and over-deliver. :)

The very term "special parts" leads me to absolutely keep my eyes peeled for the next Nouveau!

I had a feeling we were being given a really conservative time frame for these pens. I'm consistently impressed by the things I see out of Edison. :)

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

The very term "special parts" leads me to absolutely keep my eyes peeled for the next Nouveau!

I had a feeling we were being given a really conservative time frame for these pens. I'm consistently impressed by the things I see out of Edison. :)

Ditto! I am super excited about this new collaboration, and can't wait to see what else I might need to spend money on.

We have the new Edison Nouveaus on hand now, (my) Brian is going to work on pics hopefully today. I think we'll be posting a teaser pic each day leading up to the big reveal, probably during Write Time at 9 next week and then for sale after that. They look awesome, I am so excited.

Brian, these Pearls are looking good!! :thumbup:

Thank you for the update and the pictures - lovely to see the progress. I really love your selling principle (under-promising but over-delivering) :thumbup:

I don't know if it is too much to ask, but from other threads I have read that you sometimes are able to upload a video of you working on the pens... Would be great, but I can understand, if it is too much trouble.

Greetings,

Michael

We have the new Edison Nouveaus on hand now, (my) Brian is going to work on pics hopefully today. I think we'll be posting a teaser pic each day leading up to the big reveal, probably during Write Time at 9 next week and then for sale after that. They look awesome, I am so excited.

Brian, these Pearls are looking good!! :thumbup:

Somebody who got a tax return needs to be tempted.... . :drool:

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/carrieh/l.png