Official Edison Group Buy - Progress Thread

Loving my LEE and LEA, but I have one tiny issue...

The step (is that the right term?) up to the body of the pen is sharp and it "bites" the way I hold my pens. I have a used Pearl in Navy Acrylic I picked up from another FPN member a while back and it feels like it was ever so subtlety smoothed or rounded. So my question is, will the sharp edge wear down with use, or should I try to polish it down, or is this something I should have Brian Gray do?

And if I try to sand or polish it down myself (and I'm talking just a tiny amount), what do I use?

Thanks for the feedback!

This is the third Pearl I've tried and I noticed the same thing. It doesn't bother me with the way I grip the pen, but I did notice it.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Trillium

• Jimmy James

• crazystan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for reporting in, everyone! We love hearing the feedback!

Grading finished, for now, and the LEE, M nib loaded with Zhivago handled those papers effortlessly! It is an unbelievable pen: seriously comfortable to hold, and to follow up on Kaspar's comments on the threading, they are the smoothest I have ever felt on a fountain pen.

On that note Brian, do you find that the threads on ebonite are smoother, easier to use, etc...than with acrylic? I have a Hudson, and I spent a few minutes playing with both last night. The ebonite just seems to be easier to screw/unscrew.

Again, tremendous job!

Thanks! Ebonite does have a different tactile feel. This could very well make the feel of threading the pen a little different, as well.

#64 LEE arrived. WIll ink it in the morning. Beautifully made!

The cap and barrel fit so wonderfully that you can barely see where they meet. Brian, how do you do that? Was it all machined as one piece and then "cut" into two or what? No trade secret details please, just a general "wow, how'd ya do it" query.

No, not one piece that is later cut. Just lots of precision, and making sure that everything is perfectly concentric.

Thanks.

The step (is that the right term?) up to the body of the pen is sharp and it "bites" the way I hold my pens. I have a used Pearl in Navy Acrylic I picked up from another FPN member a while back and it feels like it was ever so subtlety smoothed or rounded. So my question is, will the sharp edge wear down with use, or should I try to polish it down, or is this something I should have Brian Gray do?

And if I try to sand or polish it down myself (and I'm talking just a tiny amount), what do I use?

Thanks for the feedback!

If you want me to round over the step, I can do this. But remember that is will create a small depression visually between the cap and barrel when the cap is on. I don't recommend doing this yourself. You need a lathe, and properly made mandrels to mount the pieces.

Edited by bgray

Yes mine is a broad with an extra medium nib. The wife (who brought it for my B-day) wants to me to ink it with a blue nib.

Now I need to find a nice blue to ink it with.

#35 of 40 LEA. I think im going to ink it with Pilot's Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun.

Hello, neighbor. Is yours also a broad? I've got 36 of 40 LEA inked with Diamine Majestic Blue. Enjoy the neighborhood! ;)

This is my first Edison. I was debating between a "B" and an "M", and went with "M". I'm glad that I did since the "M" (with Waterman Havana) is quite wet and broad... I had to recheck to make sure it really was an "M" and not a "B". Not a problem, just noting the observation.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Thanks for the feedback!

If you want me to round over the step, I can do this. But remember that is will create a small depression visually between the cap and barrel when the cap is on. I don't recommend doing this yourself. You need a lathe, and properly made mandrels to mount the pieces.

Since I don't even know what a mandrel is, I guess I better send it to you. I'll send an email Monday asking for instructions.

Thanks Mr. Gray. Yet another reason Edison is my favorite pen maker.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Thanks for the feedback!

Since I don't even know what a mandrel is, I guess I better send it to you. I'll send an email Monday asking for instructions.

Thanks Mr. Gray. Yet another reason Edison is my favorite pen maker.

No problem! I'll await your email.

A mandrel is a jig or other device for holding a workpiece that has been drilled or shaped in some way - something other than a piece of blank stock, IOW - between the centers of a lathe, or at one end, usually on the headstock.

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

Pearl LEE, 10/79, was finally delivered this morning. It looks even better in person. I could stare at the patterns in the ebonite for hours. Bravo, Brian. :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Now off to ponder what ink to feed it.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

My LEA arrived today. 03 of 40 (EF nib)

It it awesome! I got a few samples of blue ink along with the pen. BSB seems to be the best so far in terms of colour, though it stained the feed fairly quickly.Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao is a pretty good match, but not quite enough purple. After I empty this converter I might give J Herbin Éclat de Saphir a shot.

Pearl LEE, 10/79, was finally delivered this morning. It looks even better in person. I could stare at the patterns in the ebonite for hours. Bravo, Brian. :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Ah one of my secret neighbors! #09 here! Haha, it is a pretty pen :) I love the feel of it, and so far writes extremely well!

Thank you Mr. Gray! :)

I started mine off with Zhivago, and while that worked well, the pen seems to scream for browns. Loaded up with Diamine Chocolate Brown right now and I (and probably the pen too, though it can't really speak) couldn't be happier.

And you're right, the patterns are way more beautiful in person. Every time I uncap the pen, I find myself staring at the joint where the section meets the body; it's incredibly fortuitous that the grain pattern lines up in a really interesting way there.

To make this even better, I've got a .6mm stub on the way from Mr. Binder with this pen's name on it. I cannot wait for that nib to get here. (Sorry Brian, I know you can grind them, but I didn't even think about it until after I ordered)

I started mine off with Zhivago, and while that worked well, the pen seems to scream for browns. Loaded up with Diamine Chocolate Brown right now and I (and probably the pen too, though it can't really speak) couldn't be happier.

And you're right, the patterns are way more beautiful in person. Every time I uncap the pen, I find myself staring at the joint where the section meets the body; it's incredibly fortuitous that the grain pattern lines up in a really interesting way there.

To make this even better, I've got a .6mm stub on the way from Mr. Binder with this pen's name on it. I cannot wait for that nib to get here. (Sorry Brian, I know you can grind them, but I didn't even think about it until after I ordered)

I wish I would have thought of that sooner. (Runs off to the Binder website)

To make this even better, I've got a .6mm stub on the way from Mr. Binder with this pen's name on it. ...

Hey, I'm a stub fan too, ones that are anywhere from 0.6-0.8mm! And I already have one ready to be pressed into service. It is now attached to my Collier purchased from Richard. I love interchangeable nibs.

As for ink, I started down the brown path as well, but now I'm wondering how R&K Alt Goldgrun will work...

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

Here is a picture of my pen. The lighting is a little off, but there isn't much I can do about that. (flashlight is for scale, as I am posting this image on another forum.)

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww158/awc_/IMGP1371.jpg

To make this even better, I've got a .6mm stub on the way from Mr. Binder with this pen's name on it. ...

Hey, I'm a stub fan too, ones that are anywhere from 0.6-0.8mm! And I already have one ready to be pressed into service. It is now attached to my Collier purchased from Richard. I love interchangeable nibs.

As for ink, I started down the brown path as well, but now I'm wondering how R&K Alt Goldgrun will work...

Oh, the shading of Alt-Goldgrun, great choice. When that stub gets here, I think that's getting loaded up. I've been using it in my superflex Thorobred, great ink.

I started mine off with Zhivago, and while that worked well, the pen seems to scream for browns.

I thought so too... so I inked it with Waterman Havana.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Last night I inked my LEA with a long Waterman Florida Blue cartridge and wrote a couple short letters with it. I love writing with it; it feels great in my hand. Also I'm happy that it takes the long cartridges.