Official Edison Group Buy - Progress Thread

I did have one question though. I was thinking that an italic #6 nib with the wetness of the #5 Medium nib would be absolutely fantastic for me. Approximate pricing? If you'd rather I email please let me know and I'll send this along as an email instead.

Go ahead and email me, but $40 for the grind, $25 for the nib (assuming that you are buying an extra) and a little shipping.

Thanks!

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Trillium

• Jimmy James

• Kaspar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, did I miss out on a great opportunity....my own fault for not jumping off the fence on this group buy.

I've received my LEE today, 16 of 79.

To the lucky ones bragging about having already received their pens... :crybaby:

Would you be so kind as to mentioning also the nib size (alongside the LE number??)

(trying to guess what my own LEE with EF nib will be...)

Thanks!!!

Yeah baby! Arrived today! Finally!!!

Thank you Goulet's and Gray's! You folks rock! notworthy1.gif

Here's a little teaser pic for you all. I'm saving the rest for my review. :)

(Nib size: Medium. Number: I got 45! bunny01.gif )

post-24558-0-18225400-1335541760.jpg

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

LEA 31 and LEE 63 arrived today.

Fabulous pens. Thanks to everyone involved.

Now, if anyone can help me decide what ink them up with, I'd appreciate it. :P

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

my LEE will see some brown inks - starting with Waterman Havanna.

No way! That's exactly what I inked mine up with - Waterman Havana Brown. Next up, I'm going for my new favorite brown - Iroshizuku Yama-Guri.

This is just awesome... cloud9.gif

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

OK, decision made.

LEE 63 has Caran d' Ache Grand Canyon

LEA 31 has J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

LEA 26 arrived about an hour ago! The color is gorgeous and there is a depth to the acrylic pattern that just doesn't come out in the photos.Dipped it immediately with Private Reserve Sherwood Green, the ink I happened to have open, and it is a joy to use. Many thanks to Brian and all the people who made this happen.

She's here!

Haven't had time to write more than a few lines, but some quick observations:

Pearlie was obviously made with precision and care; there's nothing sloppy or fiddly about her. (Not that I expected anything otherwise!)

There's something rather Zen-like and understated about her; the pen is simple, and the engraving is subtle. The ebonite feels marvelous.

And she writes like a champ out of the box. I'm quite pleased so far!

Oh, and for the "who gets the closest" contest - I guessed 22, and got 24; does this mean I have to go buy myself a cup of coffee now? :roflmho:

Here's a quick iPhone shot; did my best on lighting and color correction without my good camera or a light tent, and using only apps to work with...I apologize for any deficiencies. The ink color is a bit off, but the pen color is about spot on. I'll do better soon, with the Big Gun equipment, I promise.

IMAGE_29849E2D-33A3-4A92-B244-73231605F701.JPG

"Expect a most agreeable letter, for not being overburdened with subject (having nothing at all to say), I shall have no check to my genius from beginning to end." --Jane Austen

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

My blog: Does This Pen Make Me Look Fat? Twitter: @penfatness Instagram: sheilamcl Pinterest: SheilaM

Got mine early afternoon. It's an Ebonite, #31 of 79 with a fine nib. I'd love to know how you get that shine on Ebonite. I suspect the quality of the Ebonite itself is part of it.

One question: does the cap finial unscrew so you could replace the clip in the event of a mishap?

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

LEA 31 and LEE 63 arrived today.

Fabulous pens. Thanks to everyone involved.

Now, if anyone can help me decide what ink them up with, I'd appreciate it. :P

I put Noodler's 5 O'Clock Shadow in mine. It's just perfect with the Beige/Brown/Green of the Ebonite. Here's a link to ink in the LEE:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/220093-whats-in-your-edison-pearl-lee/

Got mine early afternoon. It's an Ebonite, #31 of 79 with a fine nib. I'd love to know how you get that shine on Ebonite. I suspect the quality of the Ebonite itself is part of it.

One question: does the cap finial unscrew so you could replace the clip in the event of a mishap?

Thanks! Yes, you can unscrew the finial, but I don't recommend doing this unless you are confident. The alignment between the finial and cap in many cases dictates the concentricity.

Thanks! Yes, you can unscrew the finial, but I don't recommend doing this unless you are confident. The alignment between the finial and cap in many cases dictates the concentricity.

Thanks. Wanted to know just in case anything happened to the clip. Probably never come up.

I have to say, this is one slick piece of work. I'm especially impressed with the nib holder, and the cleanness of the threading in general. I know how hard that can be to get right. I take it you're using something like 80% threads, dictated of course by the material type? Love to know the kind of machinery your using, but I understand if that's a trade secret. In any case, it's a beauty. I'm very, very pleased.

Edited by Kaspar

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

Thanks. Wanted to know just in case anything happened to the clip. Probably never come up.

I have to say, this is one slick piece of work. I'm especially impressed with the nib holder, and the cleanness of the threading in general. I know how hard that can be to get right. I take it you're using something like 80% threads, dictated of course by the material type? Love to know the kind of machinery your using, but I understand if that's a trade secret. In any case, it's a beauty. I'm very, very pleased.

The section threads are one of the main reasons I keep coming back to Edison pens. Capping and uncapping an Edison feels like nothing else.

Yeah, if you ever have an issue with the clip....scratch, brassing, etc, then reach out to me. I'll take care of it.

I don't really have a formula for thread engagement...well, I take that back...I have my own methods for perfect engagement...whether or not they are formulas, I suppose not.

It's more of finding the right majors for OD, and the right minors for ID based on TPI and other factors, and then tweaking until it's good fit. This can sometimes change with diameter to be optimal. And it does change for materials, as well.

I use a combination of automated machinery and manual machinery. There's some operations that are crazy to do manually, and some that are crazy to do with automatic machines.

Sometime soon, I actually have a film crew coming over to do a small "documentary" on the process. This will give a lot of insight "behind the curtains". Keep your eyes peeled.

Thanks!

Oh, BTW, the Edison logo on the nib is very, very cool.

Thanks for reporting in, everyone! We love hearing the feedback!

Grading finished, for now, and the LEE, M nib loaded with Zhivago handled those papers effortlessly! It is an unbelievable pen: seriously comfortable to hold, and to follow up on Kaspar's comments on the threading, they are the smoothest I have ever felt on a fountain pen.

On that note Brian, do you find that the threads on ebonite are smoother, easier to use, etc...than with acrylic? I have a Hudson, and I spent a few minutes playing with both last night. The ebonite just seems to be easier to screw/unscrew.

Again, tremendous job!