Hero M86 + Noodler Ahab Frankenpen!

requiescat

ObserveClosely's comment here (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/216468-duke-confucius-art-fountain-pen/ post #7) that you could take the Hero M86's calligraphy nib and stick it in a Noodler's pen inspired me to try my first frankenpen. I liked the calligraphy nib on the Duke Confucius but was wondering if it were possible to get the same nib type into a demonstrator with more ink capacity. So I ordered both a Hero M86 and a Noodler's clear demonstrator Ahab and looked at Oliwerko's do-it-yourself Ahab post (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/210763-noodlers-ahab-setup-for-beginners/) and got to work.

I initially had trouble getting the Ahab's nib + feed out of the pen, and the Ahab struck back by drawing blood twice. :D But eventually it came out with the help of a paper towel. Then I wasn't sure how to handle the feed--the Hero's feed was just too small to fit, so I stuck the Hero's nib on top of the Ahab's feed, aligned it as best I could, and put it back in the Ahab. And it worked! I was really delighted when I filled the frankenpen up with Diamine Oxblood and it not only wrote/sketched, but did so very nicely.

Frankenpen with cap on:

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab-1.JPG

Frankenpen with cap off:

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab-2.JPG

Here's what the calligraphy nib looks like (sorry it's out of focus, I can't seem to do close-ups with my old cheap camera):

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab-4.JPG

Notice the funny slightly curved nib extension pointing right--this is how the nib does line variation.

Example of writing/sketching with the pen held at various angles to the plane of the writing surface:

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab.png

I just hope frankenpenning doesn't become addictive, but I already have plans for a Waterman nib in my possession. :D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnamcm

• ObserveClosely

• requiescat

• paultyler_82

ObserveClosely's comment here (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/216468-duke-confucius-art-fountain-pen/ post #7) that you could take the Hero M86's calligraphy nib and stick it in a Noodler's pen inspired me to try my first frankenpen. I liked the calligraphy nib on the Duke Confucius but was wondering if it were possible to get the same nib type into a demonstrator with more ink capacity. So I ordered both a Hero M86 and a Noodler's clear demonstrator Ahab and looked at Oliwerko's do-it-yourself Ahab post (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/210763-noodlers-ahab-setup-for-beginners/) and got to work.

I initially had trouble getting the Ahab's nib + feed out of the pen, and the Ahab struck back by drawing blood twice. :D But eventually it came out with the help of a paper towel. Then I wasn't sure how to handle the feed--the Hero's feed was just too small to fit, so I stuck the Hero's nib on top of the Ahab's feed, aligned it as best I could, and put it back in the Ahab. And it worked! I was really delighted when I filled the frankenpen up with Diamine Oxblood and it not only wrote/sketched, but did so very nicely.

Frankenpen with cap on:

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab-1.JPG

Frankenpen with cap off:

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab-2.JPG

Here's what the calligraphy nib looks like (sorry it's out of focus, I can't seem to do close-ups with my old cheap camera):

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab-4.JPG

Notice the funny slightly curved nib extension pointing right--this is how the nib does line variation.

Example of writing/sketching with the pen held at various angles to the plane of the writing surface:

http://pegasus.cityofveils.com/images/inks/herom86-ahab.png

I just hope frankenpenning doesn't become addictive, but I already have plans for a Waterman nib in my possession. :D

Well done on the switch! Looks great for drawing :)

I assume this nib is Hero's answer to "zoom" nibs found on pens from the likes of Sailor (and platinum, I think). Very interesting.

Visit my blog Pentorium!

I'm really impressed by the line variation you can get with the nib. I have no use for it myself, as I neither draw nor do calligraphy, but it's still a neat trick. Nice work!

Fountain Pens: Still cheaper than playing Warhammer 40K

Interesting, requiescat! But tell me, don't you find that the Hero nib shifts around, side to side, as you draw? I tried this frankenpen set-up and decided it was because the Hero nib is simply too small to fit snugly around the Ahab feed. The Hero nib and the Ahab feed kept getting out of alignment as I drew. Do you find this to be the case?

(Note; The Hero M86 fude nib fits just fine in the old style Noodler's piston-filled pen.)

Also a closeup of the back of your nib unit, showing us how far down the nib is relative to the feed would be interesting for me. If you get a moment. Thanks.

Wait a second! One other thing. Did you see the slot inside the collar? It appears that about half of the circumference of the inside of the nib/feed collar is molded ever-so-slightly larger than the rest of it. I assume that's the "slot" where you slide the metal tongue of the nib in, to hold it aligned with the feed. Is your Hero nib in that slot? If your's isn't and mine is, that maybe why mine is sliding around. And yours is snug. You're a genius! :thumbup:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting, requiescat! But tell me, don't you find that the Hero nib shifts around, side to side, as you draw? I tried this frankenpen set-up and decided it was because the Hero nib is simply too small to fit snugly around the Ahab feed. The Hero nib and the Ahab feed kept getting out of alignment as I drew. Do you find this to be the case?

(Note; The Hero M86 fude nib fits just fine in the old style Noodler's piston-filled pen.)

Also a closeup of the back of your nib unit, showing us how far down the nib is relative to the feed would be interesting for me. If you get a moment. Thanks.

Wait a second! One other thing. Did you see the slot inside the collar? It appears that about half of the circumference of the inside of the nib/feed collar is molded ever-so-slightly larger than the rest of it. I assume that's the "slot" where you slide the metal tongue of the nib in, to hold it aligned with the feed. Is your Hero nib in that slot? If your's isn't and mine is, that maybe why mine is sliding around. And yours is snug. You're a genius! :thumbup:

I discovered you were right--the Ahab is too big, although I inked an entire drawing with it and the nib didn't move around. But I could move the nib around side to side too easily with my finger, which made me nervous. I've now reseated the nib in a Noodler's flex pen body, need to ink that up and see how well that works.

I am not sure I can do a closeup--my camera is not very good and I have a hand tremor, so most closeups come out very blurry; I don't think the nib unit is going to be visible as anything but a blur.

I discovered you were right--the Ahab is too big, although I inked an entire drawing with it and the nib didn't move around. But I could move the nib around side to side too easily with my finger, which made me nervous. I've now reseated the nib in a Noodler's flex pen body, need to ink that up and see how well that works.

Well, that's a bummer top to bottom. A person I know fiddled around with trying to heat-fit the Ahab feed to the Hero nib and even that didn't work and she gave up on it as well.

It's a shame - - - because these fude nibs are fun as heck for drawing. And they consume a boatload of ink when you're using the flat part of the nib to lay down that nice wide line. All of which made it the perfect companion to the huge ink capacity of the Ahab.

Ah well! Ah well! We tried.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 6 months later...

After reading a post by Leigh Abernathy whereby she used the Twsbi 530, which isn't made anymore, and the Hero M86 nib, I decided to order the Twsbi 540. It arrived yesterday and I took the Hero M86 nib and put it on the Twsbi feed and joila--a beautiful pen with a large ink capacity and my Hero. The first 24 hours have been heaven! No skipping, drying. Using Platinum Carbon ink in it.

After reading a post by Leigh Abernathy whereby she used the Twsbi 530, which isn't made anymore, and the Hero M86 nib, I decided to order the Twsbi 540. It arrived yesterday and I took the Hero M86 nib and put it on the Twsbi feed and joila--a beautiful pen with a large ink capacity and my Hero. The first 24 hours have been heaven! No skipping, drying. Using Platinum Carbon ink in it.

The M86 nib fits the TWISBI Diamonds? How is it, any wetter or drier? Is there any wiggle at all?

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

Yes, the M86 nib fits on the feed of the Twsbi 540. There is no wiggle that I can see. Not dry at all, pretty wet actually with Platinum Carbon and Noodlers Black. Tried to insert the feed of the M86, but no go, it is longer than Twsbi. At any rate, I would be a little happier if the feed went up a little farther on the backside of the nib, but it does not wiggle at all and I can get some great line variation! I think this might be my only drawing pen, finally!!!!! Just tried it this morning and it started right up :clap1:

Yes, the M86 nib fits on the feed of the Twsbi 540. There is no wiggle that I can see. Not dry at all, pretty wet actually with Platinum Carbon and Noodlers Black. Tried to insert the feed of the M86, but no go, it is longer than Twsbi. At any rate, I would be a little happier if the feed went up a little farther on the backside of the nib, but it does not wiggle at all and I can get some great line variation! I think this might be my only drawing pen, finally!!!!! Just tried it this morning and it started right up :clap1:

Looks like I know what I'm going to get, a new M86 nib.

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

Oh yeah, assuming Hero has not reconfigured their nib (mine are a couple of years old) you should be good to go! I have been drawing all morning with it-------in drawing Heaven!!!!!!!

Be careful everyone, hear the latest twsbi's have different nib/feed sizes than the 530/540.