• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mongrelnomad

• mchenart

• terminal

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An excellent review for those who are considering getting this pen.

It just happened that I had a chance to hold one in my hand today at TY Lee's store in Taipei, so the memory is still fresh. The pen is everything you said, Hari. In addition, I found the Izumo urushi pens a bit heavier than, say, Nakaya's Portable Writer. So for someone who finds the Nakaya's too light, this might be a consideration.

This should really be pointed out by Japanese members of FPN, but from the Kanji (which I can read) printed on the back of the roll of paper, the text tells the story of the tradition of Izumo paper, how it is made up of vegetable fibres into a smooth writing surface suitable for fountain pen use. The paper has a special lustre that makes handwriting stand out. In a gist, that is. So the roll of paper is included in the packaging to highlight the cultural aspects of Izumo and give the pen more weight, so to speak. I am sure the paper can be used for whatever purpose the owner deems desirable.

Thanks! yes it is heavier than the Nakayas that I have tried, the cap is also heavy. I have heard of Mr. Lee's store in Taiwan from a very good friend who lives there, it seems they have an amazing collection.

I appreciate your telling us what the scroll says, the paper is indeed very smooth, I will not be using it, will just keep the paper as it is.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

can it be used as an eye dropper?

No Kareth, due to all the brass there which in contact with ink will wreak havoc.

That is a pretty pen that I did not know existed.

;)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hi Hari,

I bought the Ironwood laminate version of this pen awhile ago. It has a fine nib which is different for this Bold woman. :roflmho: The pen is well balanced and a delight to use. I find that I can write quickly and legibly with this design.

I don't own a Nakaya, but I consider this my foray into that land for now. I do have several Dani's that I :cloud9:

:bunny01: :bunny01: Karin

Fountain Pen Abundance

Hi Hari,

I bought the Ironwood laminate version of this pen awhile ago. It has a fine nib which is different for this Bold woman. :roflmho: The pen is well balanced and a delight to use. I find that I can write quickly and legibly with this design.

I don't own a Nakaya, but I consider this my foray into that land for now. I do have several Dani's that I :cloud9:

Hi Karin, that's excellent. I find that the cap threads are cut directly on the ebonite on my pen, is it the same on your pen, i.e threads cut on wood or is there some additional inner material used? what do you think about the weight of the Tagyasan pen?

Best

Hari

The Izumo is perhaps the only Urushi coated ebonite offered presently by the Platinum pen company, Japan.

Hi Hari,

What you said above was true before March 7 this year, because on that day, Platinum launched two new versions of the 3776 pen, one with Aka-Tamenuri and the other, Kuro-Tamenuri coating. The two new pens were made exclusively for the Taiwanese market at 50 pieces each and listed for 35,000 yen. For anyone interested in these pens, I have posted a link on my thread: New Platinum 3776 Aka- And Kuro-Tamenuri Fp in the Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun sub-forum.

I have heard of Mr. Lee's store in Taiwan from a very good friend who lives there, it seems they have an amazing collection.

I saw the Izumo AND the Platinum Aka- and Kuro-Tamenuri pens at Mr. Lee's store today. His store is quite small but jammed with treasures, or better yet, toys and eye candies for grown-ups. His ink selection is even better than that of Itoya's flagship store in Ginza, can you imagine? Anyway, I have changed the subject. My apology.

The Izumo is perhaps the only Urushi coated ebonite offered presently by the Platinum pen company, Japan.

Hi Hari,

What you said above was true before March 7 this year, because on that day, Platinum launched two new versions of the 3776 pen, one with Aka-Tamenuri and the other, Kuro-Tamenuri coating. The two new pens were made exclusively for the Taiwanese market at 50 pieces each and listed for 35,000 yen. For anyone interested in these pens, I have posted a link on my thread: New Platinum 3776 Aka- And Kuro-Tamenuri Fp in the Pens from the Land of the Rising Sun sub-forum.

I have heard of Mr. Lee's store in Taiwan from a very good friend who lives there, it seems they have an amazing collection.

I saw the Izumo AND the Platinum Aka- and Kuro-Tamenuri pens at Mr. Lee's store today. His store is quite small but jammed with treasures, or better yet, toys and eye candies for grown-ups. His ink selection is even better than that of Itoya's flagship store in Ginza, can you imagine? Anyway, I have changed the subject. My apology.

Your description of Mr Lee's store makes me want to catch the next flight out of Calcutta to Taipei...

Here is a direct link to the Taiwan LE on Platinum Website: link

Is the Izumo the only current Lacquered Ebonite offering by Platinum?

Best

Hari

Hello Hari, your photos are absolutely wonderful.

And congratulations! A wonderful pen... Platinum

really makes wonderful pens and they are quite

understated in the market... :thumbup:

Hello Hari, your photos are absolutely wonderful.

And congratulations! A wonderful pen... Platinum

really makes wonderful pens and they are quite

understated in the market... :thumbup:

Thanks Nicholas.

I agree about Platinum being underrated. Interestingly, many old timer Indian pen sellers do recollect the brand fondly, it seems cheaper Platinums were regularly sold in India upto the 80s.

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317

Very unique. Many nice touches like the treatment on the clip and metal threads on the barrel for the cap show pride of manufacture. Wish it were smaller but still a gorgeous pen. Thanks for sharing.

lovely pen indeed :thumbup: congrats on the pûrchase

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Excellent review amd very,very nice photos, thank you !

The paper is handmade of mitsumata, Edgeworthia papyrifera.

The explanation says that it is suitable for writing by fountain pens.

rokurinpapa

Thank you Brian, Georges for your kind comments.

Excellent review amd very,very nice photos, thank you !

The paper is handmade of mitsumata, Edgeworthia papyrifera.

The explanation says that it is suitable for writing by fountain pens.

rokurinpapa

Thanks Rokurinpapa about the inputs regarding the paper, it seems to be of very superior grade, i read up a bit on the paper made from the Mitsumata shrub and it is very interesting. Is it true that Japanese currency notes are made from Mitsumata paper?

What are the sentiments in Japan pen circles regarding the Izumo line and Nakaya basic lines vs the Izumo?

Best

Hari

Edited by hari317

Hi Hari,

Hi Karin, that's excellent. I find that the cap threads are cut directly on the ebonite on my pen, is it the same on your pen, i.e threads cut on wood or is there some additional inner material used? what do you think about the weight of the Tagyasan pen?

Best

Hari

Hi Hari,

The cap threads on mine are encased in metal, expertly machined. The weight of this pen is surprisingly light and well balanced.

Fountain Pen Abundance

The cap threads on mine are encased in metal, expertly machined. The weight of this pen is surprisingly light and well balanced.

Thanks for the inputs Karin. I am looking into the possibility of getting trhe Tagyasan Izumo as well.

Thanks for such a nice review Hari; Once again Hari rocks!!

By the way, what is it's section diameter (in mm)?

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

Thanks Rokurinpapa about the inputs regarding the paper, it seems to be of very superior grade, i read up a bit on the paper made from the Mitsumata shrub and it is very interesting. Is it true that Japanese currency notes are made from Mitsumata paper?

What are the sentiments in Japan pen circles regarding the Izumo line and Nakaya basic lines vs the Izumo?

Best

Hari

You are right. Mitsumata is used to make Japanese currency notes. Most of fountain pen lovers around me appreciated the release of Izumo.

But some wondered what distinction Platinum would make between their pens and Nakaya pens ,and some disliked the choise of the nib of President, snail nib.

They thought such pen for pleasure as Izumo should have more flexible nib.

rokurinpapa

Most of fountain pen lovers around me appreciated the release of Izumo.

But some wondered what distinction Platinum would make between their pens and Nakaya pens ,and some disliked the choise of the nib of President, snail nib.

They thought such pen for pleasure as Izumo should have more flexible nib.

Thanks for providing your insight Rokurinpapa and sharing with us the sentiments of fellow Japaanese pen collectors who generally do not participate much on FPN. I also thought about Platinum's decision to use the president nib, their 3776 nib is much larger, but I feel that the president nib is a good match and proportionate to the relatively narrow gripping section.

Then there is also the matter of inner cap sealing the nib when the pen cap is closed, the shoulders of the nib cannot be wider than the section lip diameter...

Warm Regards,

Hari