What's The Big Deal With Nakaya?

imadeadend

What is great about Nakaya pens? They are handmade works of art and they will make one just for you, according to your specifications. For something like that, made by artists and craftsmen with decades of experience the price they charge is extremely low. If you don't like any of the pens they have, just tell them what you do like and they will make it, within reason.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mickey

• mcnoodle

• Bo Bo Olson

• AltecGreen

I have learned irony and sarcasm are a no no, here. Many just don't get it.

Yep it is a painted pen that's not even air brushed.

Ancient methods of a different art, where often one has to check things out before one can start to understand something.

The first time I saw a raked rock garden in Japan, I did not understand it at all, but that view is always ready for me to pull up, in I knew it was supposed to be something special...and where the rich folks hung out, it had to be well done. Where I saw it on a hill top hot spring hotel, only the rich or the workers seen it.

There was lots of cultural things in that raked gravel, I missed. :blink:

I was young and dumb, now I'm old and undereducated. :(

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have learned irony and sarcasm are a no no, here. Many just don't get it.

Yep it is a painted pen that's not even air brushed.

Ancient methods of a different art, where often one has to check things out before one can start to understand something.

The first time I saw a raked rock garden in Japan, I did not understand it at all, but that view is always ready for me to pull up, in I knew it was supposed to be something special...and where the rich folks hung out, it had to be well done. Where I saw it on a hill top hot spring hotel, only the rich or the workers seen it.

There was lots of cultural things in that raked gravel, I missed. :blink:

I was young and dumb, now I'm old and undereducated. :(

Hey Bo Bo, don't feel too bad. I never really got the Grateful Dead. They were just one of a host of bands in my neighborhood who didn't know how to tune their instruments, best enjoyed when my cortical functions were chemically compromised. (Nice guys, though.) Sober, I much preferred The Sons of Champlin and, later, the Tubes.

Wax on, Wax off...

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Jerry Garcia, could tune a guitar to what he wanted to, when he wanted to....even heard him pick clean.

He played quite across the boards....of music styles.

I'd loved to see him and Segovia (flamingo); whom I saw on US TV @ 1970....that was like hearing Al Hurt play live.

Now...that was a good line....when my cortical functions were chemically compromised...it took that for me to like rock and roll.

Each era it's own drugs, beer and Beach Boys, Grass for lots, acid for Black Sabbath.....

And in Germany when a song from years ago for five year olds lead the charts...I decided Estacy was too dangerous to try. Pogo stick in a disco to music that made you happy when you were five. :headsmack:

:unsure: Actually the best song from the Beatles was Ringo singing John Reeves 'Red Sails in the Sunset' in Hamburg. :roflmho:

For the pens I need some Saki.

I just thought I'd say I've seen drawings (not bad..had some talent) done by Palblo before he discovered he could paint a painting a day that we can all do, and get paid a fortune for it, those guys making the pens are his masters.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I think you'd be surprised how expensive Urushi lacquer can be. The bottom line is that the value of these kind of pens comes from an appreciation of the culture and traditional craftsmanship; but if you don't care or have no clue, then it's just a piece of hard rubber with some paint on it.

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.

I read through the Nakaya website. Ah, yes, I've done that before. It does seem their pens are not meant to be posted. Sayonara.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Jerry Garcia, could tune a guitar to what he wanted to, when he wanted to....:roflmho:

Aye, there's the question. The running gag (back) then was that a standard 50 minute set (not just for the Dead) consisted of 10 minutes of playing and 40 minutes of sound checks and tuning.

My real disinterest in the Dead (and blues bands in general) stems from a need for more than 3 chords in my life. There's a reason why it's called 'the blues' (singular). From a harmonic standpoint, there really is only one 'blues'.

Sorry for the non-pen digression, folks. Geezers, don't you know.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

Slip a steel tube on your finger and you don't need cords either. :rolleyes:

Jerry Garcia, could tune a guitar to what he wanted to, when he wanted to....:roflmho:

Aye, there's the question. The running gag (back) then was that a standard 50 minute set (not just for the Dead) consisted of 10 minutes of playing and 40 minutes of sound checks and tuning.

My real disinterest in the Dead (and blues bands in general) stems from a need for more than 3 chords in my life. There's a reason why it's called 'the blues' (singular). From a harmonic standpoint, there really is only one 'blues'.

Sorry for the non-pen digression, folks. Geezers, don't you know.

You could listen to the Ramones. They used four chords. :roflmho:

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Here is the review that I posted a few years ago on my two Nakayas.

They are very good writers, but nothing out of the ordinary. The focus is on the artistry of the pens. The same can be applied to Dani-Trio and Namiki pens to a degree (I own several examples of all of them).

It appears that there are number of new members on FPN, but when I first posted this review, there was a real feeding frenzy regarding Japanese pens. The reality is that they tend to be better than average writers, but the focus is on the craftmanship, at least on the high end pens.

This means that if you purchase a pen expecting a surreal writing experience, you might be disappointed.

Taken in context they are great pens....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65713

the Danitrio Fellowship

Where is Nakayanaturix when you need her?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Send a safari to richard binder or anyone who knows how to adjust a pen, and it will write as well as any other pen out there, or better then the majority which are untuned and tend to have a host of problems. Nakaya is all about the brand, the handmade goodness that went into the product, being turned by a 80 year old master, and buffed by another 80 year old master, and the balance of the pen, and the beauty of the finish. There is allure to all that, but in the end, they don't write much better than a comparably good writing pen that probably cost a lot less. The same could be said for any other maker out there, a Pelikan M1000 is really just a giant M400 but costs a heck lot more.

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

Send a safari to richard binder or anyone who knows how to adjust a pen, and it will write as well as any other pen out there, or better then the majority which are untuned and tend to have a host of problems. Nakaya is all about the brand, the handmade goodness that went into the product, being turned by a 80 year old master, and buffed by another 80 year old master, and the balance of the pen, and the beauty of the finish. There is allure to all that, but in the end, they don't write much better than a comparably good writing pen that probably cost a lot less. The same could be said for any other maker out there, a Pelikan M1000 is really just a giant M400 but costs a heck lot more.

As if.

They say that if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. I'm figuring all you have is a writing pen, and everything looks like paper to you. It doesn't take a huge mountain of enlightenment to comprehend that even a lowly instrument, which may have been intended to do one function well, can be elevated to far more than that one functionary existence. No, these pens aren't for everyone, and I certainly don't see one in my future, but I've spent a life in artistic pursuits, and I certainly can see not only the value but the deeply soulful artistry in the Nakayas.

Might as well take down "Starry Night" and hang a velvet Elvis. I mean, they're both paintings. Geesh.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Send a safari to richard binder or anyone who knows how to adjust a pen, and it will write as well as any other pen out there, or better then the majority which are untuned and tend to have a host of problems. Nakaya is all about the brand, the handmade goodness that went into the product, being turned by a 80 year old master, and buffed by another 80 year old master, and the balance of the pen, and the beauty of the finish. There is allure to all that, but in the end, they don't write much better than a comparably good writing pen that probably cost a lot less.

And you know all this how? I've got a Nakaya, have tried others people's Nakayas, and own a couple of custom ground pens from Maestro Binder. I write near continuously for several hours each morning and have my choice of a dozen pretty decent pens. Since my Long Writer arrived a month or so ago, it has been my first choice nearly every day, followed distantly by a Hunt 22B in Michael Sull holder and a Platinum President. I don't see that pattern changing any time this year.

My favorite pen from Richard is one he repaired for me, a Parker Duofold, which was already a great writer before its nib had an unfortunate collision with a tile floor. (It now writes again like a dream, thank you Richard.) No criticism of Mr.Binder, but even he can't pull a rabbit out of a hat if the rabbit isn't already in residence.

Send a safari to richard binder or anyone who knows how to adjust a pen, and it will write as well as any other pen out there, or better then the majority which are untuned and tend to have a host of problems. Nakaya is all about the brand, the handmade goodness that went into the product, being turned by a 80 year old master, and buffed by another 80 year old master, and the balance of the pen, and the beauty of the finish. There is allure to all that, but in the end, they don't write much better than a comparably good writing pen that probably cost a lot less.

And you know all this how? I've got a Nakaya, have tried others people's Nakayas, and own a couple of custom ground pens from Maestro Binder. I write near continuously for several hours each morning and have my choice of a dozen pretty decent pens. Since my Long Writer arrived a month or so ago, it has been my first choice nearly every day, followed distantly by a Hunt 22B in Michael Sull holder and a Platinum President. I don't see that pattern changing any time this year.

My favorite pen from Richard is one he repaired for me, a Parker Duofold, which was already a great writer before its nib had an unfortunate collision with a tile floor. (It now writes again like a dream, thank you Richard.) No criticism of Mr.Binder, but even he can't pull a rabbit out of a hat if the rabbit isn't already in residence.

Exactly! My Nakaya is my best writer, and THAT is the reason why I am already thinking about buying another one. Not because of the looks (though they don't hurt).

Sharing this thread in facebook!

Also, my kuro tamenuri Desk Pen returned from Ernest Shin's maki-e ministrations to it (he painted my name in kanji on the section, and it is beautiful!), and I have been using it with much delight! I do believe I have a favorite pen. I mean, I have many favorites, but this is my favorite.

Since the Nakaya was delivered to me at work, I was not prepared to ink it, having forgotten to bring the small Nalgene bottle of Noodler's Black. I did, however, have my Edison Pearl, an ED, so I filled the Nakaya converter from the Pearl, and it worked perfectly! Almost as clean as a Visconti Ink Pot.

Thus, the Desk Pen is filled with Noodler's Old Manhattan Blackety-Black Black.

I won't try to persuade others to like Nakaya. Nakaya is not for everyone. For those who don't care for it, there are many other pen brands out there, plenty enough to go around.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Yep. We were on Facebook talking about Nakayas and sharing this thread.

BTW Lisa-didn't we just convince someone to buy a Nakaya 15 minutes ago on Facebook.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

BTW Lisa-didn't we just convince someone to buy a Nakaya 15 minutes ago on Facebook.

Convince? You mean "share the love?" (*Laughs merrily*)

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I see. I don't face twitter so I missed it. Glad to see you here now.

Is your knee better?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Great looking pens. Customizable nibs. Only downfall is that they have C/C fillers. Again personal taste but I wouldn't pay over $100 for a c/c filler. Once they develop a piston filling Nakaya, I'll be in the lineup for one.

Based on what I've read - I'm with you - as soon as they have a Piston Fill.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY