Official Edison Group Buy - Purchasing Thread

Hey Everyone!

Well, it's time to get the next step rolling with the Pearl Group Buy!

If you are not up to speed on this project, please visit these links...

Announcement, terms, etc...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/215855-official-edison-group-buy/

Materials poll...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/216368-official-edison-group-buy-materials-poll/page__p__2272469__hl__edison__fromsearch__1#entry2272469

So....at the time of writing this, the tally is 51 votes for Beige/Black Swirl Ebonite and 44 votes for Cobalt.

This is much closer than what I had anticipated. So what the heck....we'll just do both!

The Limited Edition will be either the Beige Black Ebonite Pearl for $190.00....

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-pzbh26Q/0/M/i-pzbh26Q-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-NjQfS6f/0/M/i-NjQfS6f-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-t2sh9ct/0/M/i-t2sh9ct-M.jpg

(please note that the engraving above says "AP" for Artist's Proof...the actual pens will say #XX of XX, rather than "AP". Also...LEE Stands for Limited Edition Ebonite.)

....or you can choose the Cobalt Flecked Acrylic Pearl for $170.00

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-F8345B6/0/M/i-F8345B6-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-PFfNC5M/0/M/i-PFfNC5M-M.jpg

http://edisonpenco.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZN4zVvL/0/M/i-ZN4zVvL-M.jpg

(please note that the engraving above says "AP" for Artist's Proof...the actual pens will say #XX of XX, rather than "AP". Also...LEA stands for Limited Edition Acrylic.)

Sound good?

Here's where we go from here.....

The buying period will start now. The buying period will end on Sunday, March 25th at 12:00 midnight, EST. This means that you have 2 weeks to purchase.

You can go to the Goulet website now to purchase your pen...

http://www.gouletpens.com/Edison_Pearl_LE_s/1247.htm

Once the two weeks are finished, we'll have a final tally of how many pens will be made. After that, we'll order materials.

Once materials arrive, I'll start a "progress thread". Within this thread, I'll document the entire process of building your pens. So you'll be able to see the process from beginning to end, and you will also know when to expect the pens to be completely finished.

Sound good? Let me know if there are any questions!

Brian at Edison

Edited by bgray

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy James

• bgray

• Trillium

• MrsGouletPens

A few logistical notes/clarification from us....

The Pearl 2012 LE is only going to be offered from now until 11:59pm EDT on Sunday, March 25th. The pens will begin to be made after March 25th, and expected delivery time is approximately 2-3 months, depending on the number of pens to be made. Any other items purchased in the same order as this pen (to save on shipping costs) will be shipped within our normal 1-2 business day timeframe, and the pens themselves will be shipped out as soon as they are sent to us from Edison, at no additional shipping charge. We will ship all pens by USPS First-Class Mail. If any other shipping method is preferred for your pen (such as Priority Mail or Express Mail), you will not be able to combine it with your other items you purchase and you will need to purchase the pen separately and pay for the upgraded shipping.

You can purchase your pen anytime during the open sale period. You will be paying for the whole pen up front. There will be no options for custom grinds or gold nib upgrades, all pens will be offered with steel nibs and the hardware you see pictured. You will have the option to purchase additional steel nib units with the pen. Nib options are extra-fine, fine, medium, and broad.

There will be no discounts applicable for this pen (in particular, the FPN discount). In order to keep the price as low as possible, all discounting has already been taken into account with the setting of the price of the pen. Any available discounts used for other items purchased at the same time as this pen still apply.

Thanks!!!

You know the only problem I have with this... now I want both pens! :roflmho:

I want to genuinely express my appreciation to Mr. Gray for the work he has put and will put into this project. I also appreciate his generosity to produce 2 limited edition pens for us at a substantially reduced rate.

And thank you to the Goulets for coordinating the distribution logistics of this project.

Finally, I want to say thanks to everyone who voted and participated in the discussion. This has been fun.

Edited by The Scribbler
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Absolutely Scribbler, thanks for all involved in getting this thing off the ground. This will be my second Edison, and my first ebonite. $200 is my upper limit for a pen (with a little wiggle room), so to be able to get an ebonite for less than the cost of an entry level Signature pen is quite exciting.

Good choice! There was a lot of blue love out there and I got the distinct impression those who wanted it were more passionate about it than those who voted for the Ebonite.

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

Just put an order in for the ebonite, my first!!! I'm glad that the blue fleck fans are getting their pen as well. Thanks to Brian Grey and the Goulets, as well as everyone who made this possible, I'm really looking forward to it!! :clap1:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Happy Monday!! In the midst of my 3rd day with the Flu I actually got my wish for an Edison Pen in my first and only choice Cobalt Blue

My order is done and I am also really looking forward to it :thumbup:

Edited by markwil

You know the only problem I have with this... now I want both pens! :roflmho:

I want to genuinely express my appreciation to Mr. Gray for the work he has put and will put into this project. I also appreciate his generosity to produce 2 limited edition pens for us at a substantially reduced rate.

And thank you to the Goulets for coordinating the distribution logistics of this project.

Finally, I want to say thanks to everyone who voted and participated in the discussion. This has been fun.

Why is that a problem?

Post Script

After voting for the ebonite, then pulling my vote, then voting for the ebonite again, then pulling my vote again I decided to purchase the...blue. Yeah, I'm goofy. Thanks Brian for putting us all in Pearls for REALLY reasonable prices.

Edited by heraclitus682

Ah, heck, I'm not thrilled about the wedging description of the posting but I learned to not post the TWSBIs, right? If I hate it, I have high confidence I can sell my lovely blue acrylic pen for what I'll have in it.

I'm probably 99% on buying the blue acrylic. Thanks to Brian for going the extra mile once again on this group buy. I have certainly taken notice and will remember it when making this purchasing decision as well as future ones.

ETA: My name actually happens to be Lee. That makes the LEE engraving preferable to me. Aw shucks. Decisions, decisions.

Edited by Jimmy James

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Just a couple logistical questions so we all know what's going on:

1) Will everyone's LEE or LEA ship at the same time? That is, if I happen through luck of the draw or however else it is figured out to get #1 of 57 LEAs will mine ship the 17th of June just like #57?

2) Will the LEE and LEA ship at the same time? If all the LEAs are done July 1 and all the LEEs aren't done until July 12, will they all be awaiting the last pen in the last group buy to be completed?

3) When will be figure out what number in the LE we get? I'm assuming when we open our box and spend a solid 45 minutes undoing blue cling wrap. Is that correct?

I figure it may be good to gather these questions and allow one of the G's in the know get to them as time permits. I'm sure there will be plenty of other little things like this that come up from my fellow cohorts.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

//1) Will everyone's LEE or LEA ship at the same time? That is, if I happen through luck of the draw or however else it is figured out to get #1 of 57 LEAs will mine ship the 17th of June just like #57?//

All pens of the same material will ship at the same time. I'll have a progress thread going, so there will be no surprises.

//2) Will the LEE and LEA ship at the same time? If all the LEAs are done July 1 and all the LEEs aren't done until July 12, will they all be awaiting the last pen in the last group buy to be completed?//

I'm not sure yet. The acrylic will get here quick, most likely. The ebonite can sometimes be delayed in customs. Again, the progress thread will outline this as we go. There is a possibility of completing the acrylic prior to the ebonite, but again, I won't know until we get moving and materials arrive. We might work on Acylic pens one day, and Ebonite pens another day so that progress is equal between the two. We haven't figured this out yet.

//3) When will be figure out what number in the LE we get? I'm assuming when we open our box and spend a solid 45 minutes undoing blue cling wrap. Is that correct?//

Most likely, yes....you won't know what number in the series you'll have until you get the pen.

Edited by bgray

I am doing my FPN fly-by as my internet resources are quite low on Mondays, but I will be checking in with the Goulets before Noon CST! Thanks to the Goulets and Mr.Gray!!

Somehow I knew it was going to be both! A double header.... awesome!

I'm torn between which nib size should i get :gaah: ! Any advice appreciated thanks!

In my experience:

Broad nibs are more medium-broad which I really like. They lay down a nice line of ink without feeling like I'm using a paint brush.

Medium nibs are the most versatile for me. They are like the "baby bear" size... not too wide, not too narrow, just right. I ordered my pens with medium nibs.

Fine nibs are a little wider than Asian fines, but they are the perfect size for my writing style/preference when I need a fine nib. I have found Edison steel fine nibs to be some of the smoothest I've used.

I've never used an extra-fine nib.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I just ordered the Cobalt last night. I am sooo excited. I would like to offer a humble opinion - I wish that the engraving would spell out Limited Edition A (or E) instead of LEA. I knew a gal named Lea once and this pen is certainly not about her.