What Pencil Are You Using Today?

fluctuations

14 hours ago, Starguard said:

karaspencil.jpg.701108dd71a6a51711db2cf21e35581f.jpg

I am using my Karas Pen Co. mechanical pencil, just got it today. I am a huge fan, reasonable weight, just the right girth. It has a nice grip section and you can get it with either 0.5 or 0.7 lead. It came with an eraser. 

Whoa, where did you find that pencil? I can’t find it on their website.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a member of the Karas Pen club it was a special offer and a limited run

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Three wood pencils for drawing, Berol 314 draughting pencil (vintage), modern Palomino Blackwing, Mitsubishi drawing pencil, 3H.  A little writing with this Parker mechanical pencil, which I take to be a small version of a 45.  Not really knowledgeable about their mechanical pencil models.  Twist action, 0.9 mm lead.

I'll probably be using mostly fountain pens the rest of the day.

Pencils.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

For Work:
Blackwing Natural

Apsara Absolute

or

Musgrave Harvest #2

Musgrave Tennessee Red 

For Home:

CdA Swiss Wood

CdA/CWPE Scots Pine

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I have maybe 2 dozen 2mm lead holders and the Staedtler continues to be my favorite. It's the holder I recommend to anyone interested in trying out 2mm clutch pencils.

10 minutes ago, flatline said:

I have maybe 2 dozen 2mm lead holders and the Staedtler continues to be my favorite. It's the holder I recommend to anyone interested in trying out 2mm clutch pencils.

I hear you. As far as 2mm clutches go, for me, the Staedtler is the “sketcher” and the equally tactile Caran d’Ache Fixpencil is the “writer”. 

The Staedtler’s knurling is sublime. Such a solid gripping experience. 

Graf von Faber Castell perfect pencil.

642178A3-0729-43AA-B161-12E877398CDD.jpeg

Intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

I'm down a new rabbit hole.  It appears I have a growing pencil collection.  I keep an Autopoint Rocket in my small notebook, and I have had an orange Autopoint advertising pen in my pocket this week.  Pics to come eventually, since I am waiting on a nice old Autopoint in the mail.

Can you tell a difference between the Ticonderoga Black and the Ticonderoga #2 Soft?

I have both sitting on my desk right now and they seem like they have the same lead in them, but I've heard people swear that they write different somehow.

--flatline

9 minutes ago, flatline said:

Can you tell a difference between the Ticonderoga Black and the Ticonderoga #2 Soft?

I have both sitting on my desk right now and they seem like they have the same lead in them, but I've heard people swear that they write different somehow.

--flatline

I can tell a bit of a difference in the feel on paper,  but it could just be my bias for the Black. 

1 minute ago, camjr said:

I can tell a bit of a difference in the feel on paper,  but it could just be my bias for the Black. 

While not addressing Ticonderoga pencils directly, HB and No. 2 leads supposedly  have the same hardness/softness.  However, that may not be true.  I have Staedtler, Derwent, and Pentel HB mechanical pencil leads. Of the three, the Derwent leads are by far the softest.  My point is that Ticonderoga may actually use different composition for the two pencil's leads.

I'm using a Tombow Mono Professional 2B. Sure, it requires frequent sharpening, but I love its softness and darkness.

I also love its adorable little dragonfly.

The Ohto "Sharp Pencil" 2mm incremental advance lead holder. Obviously, it's too fat to fit my rotary sharpener, so I've put soft lead in it (2B? B? don't remember) and I use it like a graphite version of a sharpie when I want to write bold.

--flatline