What Pencil Are You Using Today?

fluctuations

This resin bodied ergonomic dream from Muji (Item Code 4549738960447) is the mechanical pencil I reach for when sketching out a rough.

It's warm to the touch and somehow never wants to be put down when picked up.

I would love a Kuru Toga mechanism in it . . . I've tried. No joys.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_muji_mechanical_pencil_item_code_4549738960447.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll be using other pencils later, but I jotted some notes with this Wearever. Wearever had a reputation for some fairly low end "third tier" fountain pens, and not all of their mechanical pencils were much better, but they got it right with this one, apparently a copy of the classic Scriptos. Uses a 0.046 inch lead (1.17 mm).

Wow, that really does look like my classic "US Government" Scripto!

So, a 1.1mm lead works in it?

Wow, that really does look like my classic "US Government" Scripto!

So, a 1.1mm lead works in it?

I'm actually using some vintage 0.046 inch leads in this and a couple of actual Scriptos that I have. So I don't know for sure about modern leads that are sold as 1.1 mm. But I have lots of the vintage leads in different grades.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I was going to do some crosswords and there was a Musgrave TOT 500 on my table. I thought "why not" so I sharpened it and what a surprise I got!

This is a really nice pencil! Bigger core, nice and fat, and not as soft as I thought it would be. Just right for my somewhat arthritic hands 😎

Yesterday, it was this Viking HB.

Today, it's a Musgrave Harvest 320 No. 2 - this thing holds a point! I have been using it to jot notes all day, and it hasn't needed sharpening once so far.

A delightful pair of pencils. Not sure where to get more of this particular Viking, but I found some other models from Viking on CW Pencils, so I have three each of the Element 2 and the 400 Office Pencil on the way.

ETA: D'uh. It's the ROUND METALLIC PENCIL in copper. That's the one I have. I will have to get some more next time. Maybe in rose gold or white.

Viking_MusgraveHarvest.JPG

Edited by NumberSix

I'm actually using some vintage 0.046 inch leads in this and a couple of actual Scriptos that I have. So I don't know for sure about modern leads that are sold as 1.1 mm. But I have lots of the vintage leads in different grades.

Looks like Legendary Lead Company divides like this:

.036"/0.9mm

.046"/1.1mm

They have some vintage Parker leads - maybe I will try some in my 0.9mm Parker 21 pencil.

Today I am using a Staedtler essentials HB 2 wooden pencil. Come follow my year long journey of using pencils on Instagram. You can find me at paulpicksapencil.

Nice collection ready for tonight’s Accounting zoom class to start. First one of the semester. Yeah, buddy! I knew there was a reason I keep buying all these pencils. :D

I wish my red pencils had arrived by now, but they’ll be here before next week. I should get some of those 2-sided red and blue ones, too...

159892692_b0qyuzburfj51.jpg

Today I am using a Staedtler essentials HB 2 wooden pencil. Come follow my year long journey of using pencils on Instagram. You can find me at paulpicksapencil.

Following! Am the pencilmeister there.

Trying some drawing with Conté pastel pencils. If you use those, you know that they're a pain to sharpen, as there doesn't appear to be a sharpener that really works with them. People use knives and sanding blocks, but you have to be careful, and it takes a while.

But I've found that if I whittle them down a bit first without actually putting a full point on them, then the Prismacolor sharpener works moderately well to finish them, although you still have to be very careful not to break the pigment, and it's kind of a dull point. But the cheap sharpener in the upper left puts a pretty sharp point on them, although again, you have to whittle them to get them narrow enough and then still be careful. I just added it to an Amazon order for 99¢ to get free shipping. The customer reviews were mostly from women who used it to sharpen eyeliner pencils and lipsticks, although there was nothing on the package to indicate that it was intended mainly for that.

Yes, those Conté pencils look pretty ugly, but they're sharp.

Contehack.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Trying some drawing with Conté pastel pencils. If you use those, you know that they're a pain to sharpen, as there doesn't appear to be a sharpener that really works with them. People use knives and sanding blocks, but you have to be careful, and it takes a while.

But I've found that if I whittle them down a bit first without actually putting a full point on them, then the Prismacolor sharpener works moderately well to finish them, although you still have to be very careful not to break the pigment, and it's kind of a dull point. But the cheap sharpener in the upper left puts a pretty sharp point on them, although again, you have to whittle them to get them narrow enough and then still be careful. I just added it to an Amazon order for 99¢ to get free shipping. The customer reviews were mostly from women who used it to sharpen eyeliner pencils and lipsticks, although there was nothing on the package to indicate that it was intended mainly for that.

Yes, those Conté pencils look pretty ugly, but they're sharp.

Ever tried a KUM or M+R sharpener? Mine 0602 M+R brass sharpener works beautifully with all my art pencils.

Ever tried a KUM or M+R sharpener? Mine 0602 M+R brass sharpener works beautifully with all my art pencils.

Yes, but the Contés are a special animal, and the Kum and M+R sharpeners I have won't finish putting a point on them even after I shave them down so they'll fit. Do you have a particular model of those brands that does work for you?

Oh, and you did say the 0602 for M+R. I have a 0604, but I'll try the one you mention. Can always use one more sharpener.

My regular charcoal pencils are no problem.

Edited by ISW_Kaputnik

- Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been using a Pilot Opt 0.5mm Shaker mechanical pencil in Etchings gray in crossword puzzle books. I like the clip. Sometimes I shake it to advance the lead, and sometimes push down the top to do that. I got the Stardust version for my brother.

fpn_1599353322__279aef88-41a4-4d7d-a15c-

Better detail of the cool image on the pencil.

fpn_1599353658__68ca7d59-3342-4197-a8f1-

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Koh-I-Noor 6B.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I was trying my new arrival Mabie Tod vintage pencil, but the pencil got stuck with a led brake up.

No idea how to get it fix. :unsure:

Does one really need a complete set of drawing pencils with the full range of leads? I suspect that serious artists don't, while dabblers such as myself can't resist.

I'll probably never use up the 7H through 10H pencils in this Mitsubishi set. On the other hand, I think I've used up and replaced the 2B and HB pencils at least once, and maybe twice, and I'm on the second 10B pencil.

MitsubishiSet1.jpg

- Benjamin Franklin

• 2 weeks later...

I use wooden pencils a lot in my

Classroom.

Tichonderogas, USA gold, black wings, noricas, and others.

Of course we are online right now, but I ask parents to buy tichinderogas or USA golds if they are looking to donate.

I recently purchased an Eversharp Symphony set and an Esterbrook J set so I added a couple of vintage pencils to my small accumulation of mechanical pencils.