What Pencil Are You Using Today?

fluctuations

20 hours ago, irrigger said:

large.2063156864_20230110_101502Redux.jpg.7685ae81138d57cae07da9db3ddbe6e7.jpg

On 12/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, Estycollector said:

auto.jpg

Nice beautiful vintage pencils and ballpoints across the pond. Here in the UK/Europe is hard to get them...

I have seen the other day an old Esterbrook Ballpoint with a very nice color and pattern.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cheapest black Kuru Toga 0.5mm which i'm using in a Leuchtturm journal.  I found there's a certain angle of holding the pencil when writing that the Kuru Toga likes to get the lead spinning nicely, they are lovely to write with once you get the pencil in its comfort zone.

I've also got a Kuru Toga Advance 0.3mm which doesn't enjoy writing at all as it just gets too scratchy.  Maybe there's some ultra ultra smooth paper out there that would enjoy it though.

2mm clutch pencil

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

Dixon Ticonderoga HN 2 Soft.

Smooth as silk and the erasers actually work.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Various including 0.9mm pentel and Antique Parker Duofold mechanical pencil

After mentioning it in another thread, I broke out the KOH-I-NOOR 5.6mm.

Go big or go home.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

5 hours ago, 5t4n5 said:

The cheapest black Kuru Toga 0.5mm which i'm using in a Leuchtturm journal.  I found there's a certain angle of holding the pencil when writing that the Kuru Toga likes to get the lead spinning nicely, they are lovely to write with once you get the pencil in its comfort zone.

The pencil has a comfort zone? I know that I have a comfort zone with some pens and pencils. It's pretty basic; I prefer not to get jabbed with the clip and I prefer not to have my hand interacting with buttons that extend the lead while I'm trying to write.

I've also got a Kuru Toga Advance 0.3mm which doesn't enjoy writing at all as it just gets too scratchy.  Maybe there's some ultra ultra smooth paper out there that would enjoy it though.

Or you might look at using a softer lead.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

5 hours ago, ajoe said:

Dixon Ticonderoga HN 2 Soft.

Smooth as silk and the erasers actually work.

Where was it made?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

1 minute ago, Ink Stained Wretch said:

Where was it made?

Canada. No knockoff clones around these parts.

Wahl Eversharp No. 36, which is a full-size, silver plated MP in the Crisscross, engine-turned pattern. From the lead storage style, it's from late 1924 through 1930.

I am not using a pencil today, although I wanted to.  I cannot find my Retro 51 Mother-of-Pearl LE pencil.  I use pencil rarely and this is my go to.  I think it got moved when we were either Christmasing or de-Christmasing.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I'm not actually using it today... but ordered it today.

The Diplomat Aero has a design that resembles the iconic Zeppelin airship. I test drove one a few years back at a pen show, because I loved the look of it. But it was the fountain pen (the seller didn't have the ballpoint or the mechanical pencil). I loved the look of it when capped, but not so much uncapped. I intended to get the ballpoint at some point in the future... then forgot about it.

Finally, I came across an opportunity to buy the ballpoint Aero in excellent condition for a very attractive price. I got it and right away... wow! Not only is the rotating mechanism for extension/retraction well done, the pen just looks glorious. So I figured hey--why not get the matching mechanical pencil? I was going to get it in the same color of the ballpoint, but I decided that would be too boring. It's nice to have variety. And so I selected the black and orange combo. Here it is surrounded by a few others I had also considered:

spacer.png

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 2 weeks later...

Antique Parker Duofold Mechanical Pencil 

Welsh Mfg. Co. of Providence, Rhode Island. It's orange celluloid with a bell-top cap and uses standard lead (0.046" or 1.17 mm). From the style, my guess is it's mid-1920s through the early 1930s.

1101839527_Welsh01.thumb.jpg.8a6f4c9d298b6fa69b58586c182c361c.jpg