What Pencil Are You Using Today?

fluctuations

I just received a package of DOMS X1 super dark pencils made in India, used a long point sharpener on it, and am really enjoying these. Excellent pencils!

Doug

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you buy drawing pencils in a set, you don't necessarily have to replace the used up ones with the same brand.  I used the Conté 2H, the Caran D'Ache HB, the Tombow 2B, and the Staedtler 6B.

Also had my Pentel Kerry .7mm (2B lead) in a shirt pocket, but didn't use it much.

ConteBox.jpg

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I got an order from JetPens a couple days ago so I've been playing with a handful of pencils today:

Mitsu-Bishi 9000 HB, 2B, and 4B

Mitsu-Bishi 9800 HB and 2B

Mitsu-Bishi 9850 HB

Mitsu-Bishi hi-uni HB, B, and 2B

Tombow Mono 100 HB and 2B

Tombow 2558 HB and B

They're all great pencils. I'm sure I'll eventually pick some favorites, but I'm enjoying them all right now.

I do, actually.

The Hi-Uni, 9000, and 9800 are all very similar. I don't know that I'd notice the difference in regular use, but switching back and forth, the Hi-Uni is smoother and quieter than the other two. I can't tell a difference between the 9000 and 9800. Maybe they have the same lead?

The 9850 feels a little different. It has just a hint of resistance to changing direction that the other three don't have. It also writes a bit darker so I thought maybe it was just softer lead, but when I compare it to the Hi-Uni B, the 9850 is not as dark but still has resistance that the Hi-Uni B doesn't. Maybe this is "tooth" or "feedback" that I've heard folks talk about, but whatever it is, I'm not a fan.

Retro 51 30th anniversary.  The only pencil I use; it sits on my piano for marking music most of the time, but I also like it when I get drafted into family activities that involve some sort of sketching.  It is not the pencil's fault that I fail at the latter activity.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

I really like the Faber Castell grip mechanical pencils.  I have several of them.  Yet, I also really like the Derwent Precision I've been using lately, and that is what I'm using today.

I have been using the Faber Castell TK for most of the day and have been finding the bliss in my writing. The whisper of the 3B graphite on smooth, warm, white 'Clairefontaine' paper.

They say once you learn to drive a car you can drive almost anything. I have some experience with this.

I can write good cursive now with a broken stick.

To compare the pencil to another instrument on my desk I took up my Pelikan M205, with 'Edelstein Moonstone' ink and had the most amazing 'duet'!

An unexpected 'double-date'! I interchanged the two at regular intervals, the pelikan steel medium nib and the finely sharpened Koh*i*noor 3B lead, et voila.

Writing heaven. It doesn't take much, I'm such a cheap date!!

Try telling the kids of today how much fun this is and they'll laaaugh right in yr face!!😆

vf

πTom

Koh-I-Noor Versatil  5900.
It's been my daily carry for a good few months now. Lost the top screw part thingy so have improvised . . .

IMG_4608.thumb.jpeg.0addcbdd6285d81c7cc93d61dcec4e96.jpeg

I bought a 0.7mm Graphgear 500 yesterday from the grocery store to finish my collection so now I have all four sizes: 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9.

I've been playing with all four gg500's today and comparing them with my Pilot s10's in the same sizes. The gg500 is lighter and more nimble feeling, but the s10's weight means that writing is effortless since I don't need to add any downward pressure. At this point, I don't know which I like better. Maybe it's a tie.

Ask me again in a week.

I just gave a Caran D'ache 429 Swiss as a birthday gift.  Does that count? 7mm lead

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

This stunning Wahl Eversharp from 1920's or 30's. 

I am actually down by this rabbit hole, these beautiful writing instruments are being sold at affordable prices and in excellent condition.

16328542441772033837221.jpg

LOL! Using an old #2 that is oddly better than usual (therefore is only 2" long now) and I use an absolutely ancient green plastic crayon sharpener (out of a box of 64 from about 1960 or earlier) which has a very short bevel and is still nice and sharp metal! All that maximizes my pleasure doing crosswords!

On 9/24/2021 at 11:04 PM, AmandaW said:

Recently a 2mm Caran d'Ache Fixpencil with one of their 3B leads.

carandpencil.thumb.jpg.aab04625e452f6fbe1d1ff9806b5a063.jpg

I have one of those that I use here and there.  Today, I'm using the John Wall 120 pencil, which I plan to bring with me to Chicago.

No photo for once, but I used a Berol 314 draughting pencil for today's drawing session.  Same as the Eagle 314, and now vintage.  I think I have about 20 unused ones besides the couple of partly used ones in my drawing kits.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin