• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Zookie

• lovemy51

• a m a r g o

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I generally stick to mechanical pencils of whatever brand is at hand for ease of carrying and the fact that they don't need to be sharpened.

However, I have lately been sampling wooden pencils and have settled on two brands.

I like the Rhodia pencils, especially for their styling. The black wood and ferule on the orange body make the pencil stand out sitting on a desk. The writing is good, way better than most wooden pencils, but not quite outstanding.

I like the Palomino Blackwing pencils. They both write great, but the regular Blackwing (the black one) doesn't hold a point at all. The 602 is much better at holding a point. I really like the square ferule and removeable eraser. In fact, I learned what a ferule is from an article on the Blackwing.

And I highly recommend the Kum longpoint sharpener if you're going to use wooden pencils.

Edited by Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

I love pencils!

Currently carrying a Waterman Carène 0.7mm propelling pencil in Coral, a Faber Castell 1.4mm kids' propelling pencil, and my gardening pencil, the Kaweco Alu-Ei 3.2mm clutch pencil.

Favourites? that Faber Castell kids' propelling pencil, Conway Stewart Nippy, Sheaffer Intrigue, Waterman Carène and Exception, Parker 45 and Frontier, Staedtler Graphite 925 25-20, Pentel Graphgear 1000 0.9mm, and a couple of old-style Rotring pencils: the pocket-friendly 600 0.7mm and the Esprit telescopic 0.7mm. I've got a lovely Wearever stripey marble one on my desk I like very much; no idea what model it is. And I like the Sheaffer Imperial-sized pencils with their 0.9mm leads. A change is as good as a rest...

Least favourite pencil I own would have to be the Faber Castell e-motion; shape and weight don't feel right for me.

I like to think there's a special room in hell for the people who manufacture those pound-shop woodcase pencils with leads which are either broken, or so loose that they push right out of the woodcase! :bonk:

Depending on what I'm writing, either a Staedtler Mars Lumograph 4H, a Staedtler Noris 2H or a Staedtler WOPEX 2B. I've also a Staedtler Mars technico 788 C with H lead, but I don't use it too often. :) I don't like mechanical pencils at all. :glare:

The wasp-like Staedtler Noris will always be close to my heart: the red-topped HB model has been a companion since the first days of school - they're bloody good pencils!

I'm Staedtler through-and-through! - I won't even name the other pencil companies of Middle Franconia... :glare: He-he! :lol:

Dixon Ticonderoga number 2, but I use it with humility and a sense of ever increasing inferiority as I read through this thread.

(Fortunately the pencil keeps pretending everything is ok).

;)

Dixon Ticonderoga number 2, but I use it with humility and a sense of ever increasing inferiority as I read through this thread.

(Fortunately the pencil keeps pretending everything is ok).

;)

[/quote

Dixon Ticonderoga #2 too, Berol turquoise 5H, Pentech # 2 (pure.color wash), Pelikan triangular medium,Clicksters 0.7 mm #2 mechanical pencils,berol mirados 0.7mmm and many chiperis you can find in Walmart, office depot, office supplies, and office max.

I have been using wood case pencils since forever. I still like them for quick notes here at the PC monitor, in the kitchen for additions to the grocery list, etc. My favorites are Papermate "American Naturals," HB 2. With no paint or exterior coating, they are easy to sharpen and hold a good point for a long while. - I also have a Palomino "Blackwing" at hand. I got a few from an FPNer to try them out. I find they are okay, but the lead is just too soft for me. I will have to try the harder lead.

Two I've used today are my Parker 51 signet pencil and a Kaweco clutch, sketch pencil with 2mm lead. The other one on my desk right now is my Retro 51 Sudoku pencil.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I'm using my little 'multipen' and pencil from Jetpens!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/skyppere/IMG_3581.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/skyppere/IMG_3583.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/skyppere/IMG_3582.jpg

From Joan Hughes, PL/I Structured Programming, glossary entry:

Optimist A programmer who codes in ink.

I code in ink.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

A Whal-Eversharp, Gold filled with Engine Turning, Check Pattern.

I often carry mechanical pencils as a set with some pens (Eversharp Skyline, Waterman Crusader, Scheaffer Valiant, and others). I always have a mechanical pencil at hand in my bag, for use whenever I need one : it's a Scripto (the classic one from the sixties).

Most of the time, for daily purposes, I have been using a wooden Rhodia pencil, this one :

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5168/5355695076_d2826cece0_b.jpg

I only use it for very short notes. So it lasts long. But it is getting much shorter with time.

For drawing with graphite, I use mainly Staedlers and Progresso.

I often carry mechanical pencils as a set with some pens (Eversharp Skyline, Waterman Crusader, Scheaffer Valiant, and others). I always have a mechanical pencil at hand in my bag, for use whenever I need one : it's a Scripto (the classic one from the sixties).

Most of the time, for daily purposes, I have been using a wooden Rhodia pencil, this one :

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5168/5355695076_d2826cece0_b.jpg

I only use it for very short notes. So it lasts long. But it is getting much shorter with time.

For drawing with graphite, I use mainly Staedlers and Progresso.

Rhodia pencils are not available in Kolkata, India. crybaby.gif

Fortunately, Staedtler Mars micros are available here. I generally use them.

I'm using my little 'multipen' and pencil from Jetpens!

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/skyppere/IMG_3581.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/skyppere/IMG_3583.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/skyppere/IMG_3582.jpg

nice pictures. and... nice multipen.thumbup.gif

From Joan Hughes, PL/I Structured Programming, glossary entry:

Optimist A programmer who codes in ink.

I code in ink.

tongue.giftongue.gif

I have been using wood case pencils since forever. I still like them for quick notes here at the PC monitor, in the kitchen for additions to the grocery list, etc. My favorites are Papermate "American Naturals," HB 2. With no paint or exterior coating, they are easy to sharpen and hold a good point for a long while. - I also have a Palomino "Blackwing" at hand. I got a few from an FPNer to try them out. I find they are okay, but the lead is just too soft for me. I will have to try the harder lead.

Have you tried Staedtler norica?embarrassed_smile.gif

I like them.