New Nakaya Piccolo Model!

playtime

The White Tiger is something quite different from this titanium pen. Not that I would buy it, but it fits much better in my perception of a Nakaya.

Nakaya has been making metal pens for quite some time. This titanium pen is not that new. It's been around for a while. Before the titanium Piccolo, there were the two Chainmail Piccolo variants.

Nakaya also makes celluloid pens, wood pens, and pens from acrylic. Take for example the acrylic pen with the sterling silver ripple overlay. It's just that these pens don't get talked about that much so they are not part of the Nakaya 'consciousness'. These products have been around for a few years but buried in the special products pages under the old pull down menu navigation. The titanium pen got noticed because John M. got one in stock and put it up on his website.

It's good that a company is not just working with blinders on and willing to try new things. Besides there a lot of people who want a heavy pen and find the current Nakaya offerings too light. They can now order a titanium Piccolo and have urushi and maki-e put over the metal to give a 'traditional' Nakaya look with the ultra hefty mass of a metal body.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• playtime

• AltecGreen

• peterpen53

• Johnson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, stunning. I love metal pens and this is no exception. What attracts me the most is that it seems durable. Is anyone else thinking about a tank? That is why I love my M90 and my Vanishing Points.

The White Tiger is something quite different from this titanium pen. Not that I would buy it, but it fits much better in my perception of a Nakaya.

Nakaya has been making metal pens for quite some time. This titanium pen is not that new. It's been around for a while. Before the titanium Piccolo, there were the two Chainmail Piccolo variants.

Nakaya also makes celluloid pens, wood pens, and pens from acrylic. Take for example the acrylic pen with the sterling silver ripple overlay. It's just that these pens don't get talked about that much so they are not part of the Nakaya 'consciousness'. These products have been around for a few years but buried in the special products pages under the old pull down menu navigation. The titanium pen got noticed because John M. got one in stock and put it up on his website.

It's good that a company is not just working with blinders on and willing to try new things. Besides there a lot of people who want a heavy pen and find the current Nakaya offerings too light. They can now order a titanium Piccolo and have urushi and maki-e put over the metal to give a 'traditional' Nakaya look with the ultra hefty mass of a metal body.

you beat me to the punch--well said!

Now the list grows longer--a hairline model, a titanium model, and now a silver one as well...all on the list:)

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

I do not contest Nakaya's right to make pens in whatever materials they like. This one is just not for me. If you like it, more power to you. And I do like some weight to a pen, but there are other ways to achieve that.

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

This is not what you buy a Nakaya for, is it? They must have been hard pressed to come up with something new.

It's certainly not what I would buy a Nakaya for. No clue why they took this path. Not to my taste.

A lot of these pens were originally commissioned by clients and Nakaya put them up for order.

The Neo Standard started as a request by a client for a pen like the desk pen but one that can be easily carried.

This 'White Tiger' (Byakko) pen was one that I commissioned as another example.

The White Tiger looks really nice. :thumbup:

It sure does and I would be proud to own it. It is more in line with my image of their pens.

Hex, aka George

Cross steel ballpoint pens were always extremely uncomfortable for me. Too thin, too hard, too cold, and too hard to grip securely. I suppose that if I were a survivalist, I might want one titanium fountain pen. But I've been spoiled by lava, and I can get two of those for the same price as one of these.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I do not contest Nakaya's right to make pens in whatever materials they like. This one is just not for me. If you like it, more power to you. And I do like some weight to a pen, but there are other ways to achieve that.

It's not my style either. It's way too heavy. But there are many people who like that heft and sense of indestructibility in a pen.

My point was merely that people tend to pigeon hole Nakaya as a certain type of pen manufacturer when they actually offer a much more diverse group of products.

P.S. I forget you are new around here. The comment about heavy pens was directed at someone else with a penchant for large heavy pens and broad nibs. :roflmho:

Edited by AltecGreen

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Speaking of the Byakko pen, I don't know if I ever posted this.

This was the original artist sketch for the pen. Nakaya had the artist design the artwork based on my request and this was sent to me before final confirmation of the order.

post-26918-0-16023700-1331340206.jpg

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

It's not my style either. It's way too heavy. But there are many people who like that heft and sense of indestructibility in a pen.

My point was merely that people tend to pigeon hole Nakaya as a certain type of pen manufacturer when they actually offer a much more diverse group of products.

P.S. I forget you are new around here. The comment about heavy pens was directed at someone else with a penchant for large heavy pens and broad nibs. :roflmho:

Titanium is a metal which is pretty durable when compared to other metals. At a bike shop there are titanium parts which need to be worked with and regular tools from your local hardware store would not do because titanium is so hard that it would wear out tools not specified for titanium.

Well that is enough of that. I just love the feel of metal. The feel of something that could actually take accident (such as a fall or being able to ride in my front pocket) when capped or retracted of course. The weight of it (alone) does not provide a sense of indestructibility but in which an item was produced does.

Just looking at the titanium Nakaya, it seems it was built to be sturdy.

Titanium is a metal which is pretty durable when compared to other metals. At a bike shop there are titanium parts which need to be worked with and regular tools from your local hardware store would not do because titanium is so hard that it would wear out tools not specified for titanium.

Well that is enough of that. I just love the feel of metal. The feel of something that could actually take accident (such as a fall or being able to ride in my front pocket) when capped or retracted of course. The weight of it (alone) does not provide a sense of indestructibility but in which an item was produced does.

Just looking at the titanium Nakaya, it seems it was built to be sturdy.

What I also find alluring about titanium is that it gains an oxide layer as it ages--acquiring a shade of gray which can be 'scratched', and i place that in quotes because all one does is rub off the oxide layer... The 'scratched' area can in turn reacquire the oxide layer with time.... of course, the reacquired layer is a shade lighter....

the layers remind me of patina--the sheen of age so to speak that distinguish Nakaya fountain pens from others.....

Edited by playtime

"Writing is 1/3 nib width & flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink. In that order."Bo Bo Olson

"No one needs to rotate a pen while using an oblique, in fact, that's against the whole concept of an oblique, which is to give you shading without any special effort."Professor Propas, 24 December 2010

"IMHO, the only advantage of the 149 is increased girth if needed, increased gold if wanted and increased prestige if perceived. I have three, but hardly ever use them. After all, they hold the same amount of ink as a 146."FredRydr, 12 March 2015

"Surely half the pleasure of life is sardonic comment on the passing show."Sir Peter Strawson

This is a gorgeous pen. Nothing like what I'd consider buying in a Nakaya, though. But gorgeous...

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

High end pistol hammers are made of titanium. It is hard and travels travels faster than a heavier hammer. But that may be overkill for a FP body.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Personally I am quite smitten with the design. I think I'll be heading to nibs.com to admire it fairly often.

Now would I pay the asking price for it? That is a different story. I can't say I wouldn't, but the opportunity cost gives me pause. $1,000 can get you quite a bit of pen in the Nakaya world.

happiness isn't caused

Oh well, broad nibs—yes (preferably stubbed please), large pens—certainly, heavy pens—not necessarily. 2 out of 3 is not bad!

Cheers,

Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

• 1 month later...

This is not what you buy a Nakaya for, is it? They must have been hard pressed to come up with something new.

It's certainly not what I would buy a Nakaya for. No clue why they took this path. Not to my taste.

A lot of these pens were originally commissioned by clients and Nakaya put them up for order.

The Neo Standard started as a request by a client for a pen like the desk pen but one that can be easily carried.

The Byakko is gorgeous. I've been thinking about treating myself to a custom Nakaya for my 40th birthday. It's not for a couple years yet, but with the wait times on special orders I figured now was as good a time as any to start planning :) I was born the year of the Tiger so this design really appeals to me. You say you got it in the shobu color. On John's site the shobu looks so... purple. It looks much darker and richer in your pictures. Which is the more accurate reference?

Thanks again for sharing. Gorgeous pen.

Trin

You say you got it in the shobu color. On John's site the shobu looks so... purple. It looks much darker and richer in your pictures. Which is the more accurate reference?

The pen is done in 'shobu tamenuri'. The starts with a base of shobu then the maki-e is applied then covered with transparent (brownish color) urishi. The pen is not a straight shobu.

The other example of shobu tamenuri is the mother and child pen. You can find that on the Nakaya site.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

• 2 weeks later...

bump, anyone purchased this model or seen it first hand? curious for a review or more pictures.

I can't stop visiting nibs.com and looking at it. you know how this ends. :)

happiness isn't caused

bump, anyone purchased this model or seen it first hand? curious for a review or more pictures.

I guess that means that YOU have to pull the trigger and report back to us:)

Yes, it is a beauty!

Yes, it is a beauty!

Ha! Not sure if it's in the financial cards at the moment. Maybe later this year.

I also want the deep gloss briarwood, and that one is substantially cheaper. We'll see...

happiness isn't caused

Time and again I have considered pulling the trigger--but I do have a Namiki Bamboo in Rhodium that I love, and I fear that she would be jealous should I flirt with the Ti Piccolo.......

Yes, it is a beauty!

Ha! Not sure if it's in the financial cards at the moment. Maybe later this year.

I also want the deep gloss briarwood, and that one is substantially cheaper. We'll see...