2011 Noodler's Ink Artist Prize

threeamigos

I just wanted to thank Nathan for the outstanding prizes. I haven't gotten a chance to try mine yet as I used my parent's address for mailing, but they look fantastic. (My mail person has a tendency to throw anything that doesn't fit in my tiny tiny mailbox over my back fence. A very bad thing for ink bottles.) I can't wait till I test drive the pens and inks – and reading all of the posts here is only making more the more anxious.

Thanks again!!!

the flexistentialist

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eternally Noodling

• oldcards

• SamCapote

• bitterwonder

THANK you all, for posting your thoughts so far on the extra cool new Noodlers stuff.

And a special Gold Star and tip of the Top Hat to Zenadier, his nosably curious ferret, and his talented, long-suffering English major fiance. Not only wonderful pix !!! and review of the items, but also I couldn't stop laughing, imagining that whole scene. I ended up dropping my pen onto my lap and laughing coffee out my nose. (I always have ink and espresso all over me, so no problem. :rolleyes: )

P.S. Sure hope your Konrad nib isn't crushed. Did you search the ferret's desk? He might have switched nibs while your back was turned. While I admire that kind of quick thinking, fair is fair.:bunny01:

Might it be possible to have the entries posted statically to fully appreciate them?

They zip by so quickly in the video.

Hmmm...they used to be posted like that at Noodlersink.com but the video has replaced them.

Here is my entry (it shows up at 15:51 in the video): Noodler's at Night. My entry used Noodler's Blue Ghost ink for part of the design, which of course does not show up when scanned, so the full picture did not show up in the video. For the photo on Synistralia, I photographed the art under low light with UV lights pointed at the center of the drawing. It actually glows quite a bit more than the photo suggests.

clap1.gifclever use of the BG ink!

That was great! Thanks for showing it that way.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Awesome!!! My Cat Fish Chaplin made it into the top I think. I'm out of town for work till May 19th, so wont get to see my potential prize till then :(

Super excited to try it out and post about my experience!

:thumbup: Swavey (Michael Ward)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/PoppinSwav/FPNsig.jpghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I am so thrilled!!! I received my coveted box - the Konrad pen and the Rome Burning ink. Although there are important things when you arrive home, all was set aside so I could open my box. I couldn't wait to fill the pen. The ink - the pen - all so beautiful. Spent time playing around with it - great combination for drawing catfish and trees!!! Thank you Nathan! What a huge endeavor to run this contest and send out these prizes. I appreciate all you have done. I love Noodler's pens and inks! Keep up the great work!

Happy days and good fortunes to all!

Cheers!

lisa

Awesome!!! My Cat Fish Chaplin made it into the top I think. I'm out of town for work till May 19th, so wont get to see my potential prize till then :(

Super excited to try it out and post about my experience!

:thumbup: Swavey (Michael Ward)

Congratulations~ I loved Charlie 'Catfish' Chaplin, and that gorgeous Spencerian! :notworthy1: Hope you post some pix after you've tried out the prizes!

If anybody reading this thread can assist...well, if the views on the video

reach 150,000 I can gain the assistance of a few larger retail volunteers and expand the scope of the art contest into something bigger with more awards - and more generous awards. So - if you know how to expand the access to the video in art forums and any possible related areas on the web to increase the view count...it will give me bargaining power with the expansion effort. Retailers like to see large view counts as "proof" of viability in the marketplace...and will then have data to justify assistance...an artist or pen collector with talent can link magic if they choose too - and we all know that FPN is filled with genius and talent (mostly). ;-)

TIA

Nathan

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

My artist friends dont know about Noodler's, because they shop in art supply stores and none in NYC carry Noodler's.

Glad to spread the word.

Attached images drawn in Rome Burning.

The purply ink is Kung Te-Cheng (Thanks A&O for sample)

The last image was washed over with a waterbrush; the blob in lower right is Noodler's Golden Brown for comparison.

Color isnt true to ink color on any of drawings

Images drawn on a cream paper.

post-24569-0-23536300-1335655611.jpg

post-24569-0-01918200-1335655633.jpg

post-24569-0-65711100-1335655658.jpg

post-24569-0-85896700-1335655682.jpg

post-24569-0-43672000-1335655711.jpg

The box reached me a couple of days ago, going overseas and above the Arctic Circle. I got the Konrad pen and the ink. I am really happy to have participated and gotten the opportunity to try out the pen and the ink! I also appreciated seeing all the other contributions.

post-55756-0-54350600-1335707576.jpg

I did make a blog post about it here: http://anachroneironaut.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/noodlers-art-competition-the-conclusion-also-trying-out-the-prizes/

(Among other things a comparison with Burma Road Brown and R&K Alt Goldgrün). It is a picture-heavy post and I don't want to spam this thread with too many pictures. I hope the link to the blog is OK.

Here is a sample made with a steel nib pen, the watercolour paper immersed in water. Nice shading to the right, amazing reaction to the water to the left. Also feathering from harsh nib on soft paper.

post-55756-0-63480000-1335708780.jpg

The upcoming days I plan to try out the ink for art. I have no idea how, though. It is a challenging ink to work with, to find a corresponding mental piece of art for this combination of brown, bright yellow halo, purple. At the same time it is very inspiring. I did try some art masking fluid on a calligraphy writing sample today. Might post again in a couple of days, or in the art thread.

Meandering among monsters, bottles of ink, teeth, tentacles, old pens and various notebooks…

http://anachroneironaut.wordpress.com/

Thank-You Nathan

The Neponset with a music nib is absolutely beautiful.

and Thanks, Goulets, for selling Baystate Blue.

post-34588-0-06496900-1336187856.jpg

(PS, the fellow with the attached pen waited a long time...the clips were not right yet...the nibs still are not as flexible as they could be - but this is the kind of pen one gets from Taxachusetts for a particular type of label on a particular bottle of ink)

• 1 month later...

If anybody reading this thread can assist...well, if the views on the video

reach 150,000 I can gain the assistance of a few larger retail volunteers and expand the scope of the art contest into something bigger with more awards - and more generous awards. So - if you know how to expand the access to the video in art forums and any possible related areas on the web to increase the view count...it will give me bargaining power with the expansion effort. Retailers like to see large view counts as "proof" of viability in the marketplace...and will then have data to justify assistance...an artist or pen collector with talent can link magic if they choose too - and we all know that FPN is filled with genius and talent (mostly). ;-)

TIA

Nathan

Don't think we'll make that number. I thought it might be possible based upon the levels for some calligraphy posts using Noodler's fountain pens and ink. They are, however - generally less than 2 minutes, and my videos are never that short! Too much on the plate to start another contest for a while without help (do the math, $14,000 annually to cover healthcare per person in Massachusetts right now....try to be internationally competitive with that, + worker's comp, + liability, + insurance, + etc...it's now profoundly depressing as an American...as we were really competitive in my grandfather's day - especially in Massachusetts!). ;-(

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

Thank-You Nathan

post-34588-0-06496900-1336187856.jpg

(PS, the fellow with the attached pen waited a long time...the clips were not right yet...the nibs still are not as flexible as they could be - but this is the kind of pen one gets from Taxachusetts for a particular type of label on a particular bottle of ink)

Glad you like it - even happier that you photographed it with Noodler's Ink (another recipient sold his to a Japanese collector - but I guess he needed the $ more than the pen ;-(

Working on making that nib standard for the Neponset, but at the moment - only have enough to match those labels that say "Taxachusetts"...as it is, that celluloid is limited and vintage stock (I could carry them in both hands there are so few)...once gone the "Taxachusetts" labels will cease as well. The nibs in the few that were issued in the art contest were cut here in Mass, because they are not cut that deep elsewhere (too deep and too radical?).

The box reached me a couple of days ago, going overseas and above the Arctic Circle. I got the Konrad pen and the ink. I am really happy to have participated and gotten the opportunity to try out the pen and the ink! I also appreciated seeing all the other contributions.

post-55756-0-54350600-1335707576.jpg

I did make a blog post about it here: http://anachroneiron...out-the-prizes/

(Among other things a comparison with Burma Road Brown and R&K Alt Goldgrün). It is a picture-heavy post and I don't want to spam this thread with too many pictures. I hope the link to the blog is OK.

Here is a sample made with a steel nib pen, the watercolour paper immersed in water. Nice shading to the right, amazing reaction to the water to the left. Also feathering from harsh nib on soft paper.

post-55756-0-63480000-1335708780.jpg

The upcoming days I plan to try out the ink for art. I have no idea how, though. It is a challenging ink to work with, to find a corresponding mental piece of art for this combination of brown, bright yellow halo, purple. At the same time it is very inspiring. I did try some art masking fluid on a calligraphy writing sample today. Might post again in a couple of days, or in the art thread.

That is better photography than what I managed in the video....my hats off to you! Gorgeous!

Thank-You Nathan

Glad you like it - even happier that you photographed it with Noodler's Ink (another recipient sold his to a Japanese collector - but I guess he needed the $ more than the pen ;-(

Working on making that nib standard for the Neponset, but at the moment - only have enough to match those labels that say "Taxachusetts"...as it is, that celluloid is limited and vintage stock (I could carry them in both hands there are so few)...once gone the "Taxachusetts" labels will cease as well. The nibs in the few that were issued in the art contest were cut here in Mass, because they are not cut that deep elsewhere (too deep and too radical?).

I wouldn't think of getting rid of it... It is almost too pretty to use, but it is still in the rotation. We have been talking about the pen here... https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222821-noodlers-music-nib-neponset/ and I think there are plenty of people that would love to take it off my hands. I am glad to hear the music nib could go full stream... to bad about the celluloid (I mean... good for me... but too bad for everyone else). Again, thank-you for everything you do!

Now for a Noodler's vacumatic... shaped like a duofold...