Official Edison Group Buy - Materials Poll

120 members have voted

1. 1. What Material? (please vote only if you plan on participating)

• Beige/Black Swirl Ebonite at $190
    • Bedrock Flake Acrylic at $170
    • Neon Swirl Acrylic at $170
    • Midnight Swirl Acrylic at $170
    • Cobalt Fleck Acrylic at $170

Given how the poll seems down to the Cobalt and Black/Beige ebonite, would it make sense to have an unofficial runoff between them? I imagine people who voted for materials 2, 3, and 4 probably have a preference between the two leading choices.

P.S. I imagine that this has, to some extent, been happening already.

Edit: Silly typos.

Edited by jnelson

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• The Scribbler

• Trillium

• Jimmy James

It would seem to me that if option one carries a clear majority of the votes as it does now, a runoff would not be in order. If we see a spurt of voting and it only has perhaps 37% to 30% for option five and the other third split among the final three, a runoff would make a lot more sense.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

Given how the poll seems down to the Cobalt and Black/Beige ebonite, would it make sense to have an unofficial runoff between them? I imagine people who voted for materials 2, 3, and 4 probably have a preference between the two leading choices.

P.S. I imagine that this has, to some extent, been happening already.

Edit: Silly typos.

Looks like the ebonite has crossed the 35 commitments threshold, and the blue (which is very nice, btw) would beat that only if everyone who voted for the others switches to it. I'd say the ebonite is the leading candidate. Lotta blue love out there though.

It's not the end of the world; it's just the end of you. - David P. Goldman

Progress is a comparative of which we have not settled the superlative. - G.K. Chesterton

Cogito, ergo sum. Mensuror, quiat existo. Audio, ut fiam. Respondeo, etsi mutabor.–Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy

I've been sitting on the sidelines as the Edison Group Buy developed. When the Pearl was chosen as the proposed pen to be made I was definitely interested.but I didn't have any particular material in mind. Now that Brian has presented the options, I've voted for the Beige/Black Swirl Ebonite. I'll be a buyer if the ebonite is the material chosen for the Edison Group Buy Pearl.

Rick M

fpn_1324576336__aurora-ovoide_65x49.jpg

Thank you for all of the thought and effort put into making these choices. They are all quite lovely and there isn't one that I wouldn't be pleased to own. Due to Mr. Gray's generous commitment for exclusivity of the material for a year, I didn't feel comfortable voting for anything that might potentially have a negative impact on his business. If it's popular, I'd prefer to keep it non-exclusive.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this project already! I'm really looking forward to another Edison. :bunny01: Rachel and Brian, thank you for adding your logistics genius to the mix. The image an LE Edison arriving in Goulet blue packing is frosting on the cake!!

All the Best,

Gem

Those who haven't yet to vote should obviously focus solely on on the blue acrylic or the biege ebonite, which are the only two plausible winners at this point.

Thank you for all of the thought and effort put into making these choices. They are all quite lovely and there isn't one that I wouldn't be pleased to own. Due to Mr. Gray's generous commitment for exclusivity of the material for a year, I didn't feel comfortable voting for anything that might potentially have a negative impact on his business. If it's popular, I'd prefer to keep it non-exclusive. Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this project already! I'm really looking forward to another Edison. :bunny01: Rachel and Brian, thank you for adding your logistics genius to the mix. The image an LE Edison arriving in Goulet blue packing is frosting on the cake!! All the Best,Gem

+1 for non-exclusive , I couldnt have put it better.

I wonder if there are enough people willing to purchase the Cobalt Flake if Mr. Gray would do a second group buy? Of course, I'm assuming that everyone who has voted is committed to purchasing what they voted for.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I wonder if there are enough people willing to purchase the Cobalt Flake if Mr. Gray would do a second group buy? Of course, I'm assuming that everyone who has voted is committed to purchasing what they voted for.

If there were two group buys, then you would create the dangerous (to my wallet) situation of needing to buy two pens...

Thank you for all of the thought and effort put into making these choices. They are all quite lovely and there isn't one that I wouldn't be pleased to own. Due to Mr. Gray's generous commitment for exclusivity of the material for a year, I didn't feel comfortable voting for anything that might potentially have a negative impact on his business. If it's popular, I'd prefer to keep it non-exclusive. Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this project already! I'm really looking forward to another Edison. :bunny01: Rachel and Brian, thank you for adding your logistics genius to the mix. The image an LE Edison arriving in Goulet blue packing is frosting on the cake!! All the Best,Gem

+2 - I wouldn't want to think about Brian losing a pen sale due to exclusivity of a color. Though if it's a material that doesn't get much use, or, was chosen specifically as a first run for the group buy, I don't think it would pose an immediate issue.

Also, just in case Brian reads this, do you offer colors that aren't pictured amongst the swatches on your site? It seems that each time I wander through smugmug, there are pens made with colors that I just can't find in there.

My grail pen is a blue Edison. I hope that the dream can become reality with this group buy.

+2 - I wouldn't want to think about Brian losing a pen sale due to exclusivity of a color. Though if it's a material that doesn't get much use, or, was chosen specifically as a first run for the group buy, I don't think it would pose an immediate issue.

then vote for the Cobalt Blue, because it's not that popular, only been used 2-3 times before. If you choose the ebonite, Brian may lose major sales to his business, and we don't want that do we? that would be devastating

Edited by dimelife

then vote for the Cobalt Blue, because it's not that popular, only been used 2-3 times before. If you choose the ebonite, Brian may lose major sales to his business, and we don't want that do we? that would be devastating

I've already weighed the pros and cons of this. Go ahead and vote for what you want. I won't be hurting in any way by not doing any particular material on a Pearl for a year. But thanks for the concern.

Edited by bgray

Well, shucks. This list somehow managed to miss me entirely. Lots of folks seem to like 1 and 4 though...

Wow. The race between the Ebonite & Cobalt is tighter than a Republican Primary in Ohio :roflmho:

Edited by The Scribbler
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Wow. The race between the Ebonite & Cobalt is tighter than a Republican Primary in Ohio :roflmho:

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss87/GhostGrendel/OrsenWellesClapping.gif

I dont see a clearwinner emerging tonite....at least the numbers are looking great! :thumbup:

Edited by Trillium

Wow - Cobalt has caught up since I cast my vote. I do hope its the winner, as I really want this pen.

I can put up with a non posting pen as I dont do that, but really keen to get one in Cobalt.

Edited by vtv8man

I voted for the ebonite, then I pulled my vote, then I voted for the ebonite again. I'm in if the ebonite wins. I don't care for the Cobalt. I'm probably out if the Cobalt wins :crybaby:

I voted for the ebonite, then I pulled my vote, then I voted for the ebonite again. I'm in if the ebonite wins. I don't care for the Cobalt. I'm probably out if the Cobalt wins :crybaby:

My vote was cast based upon material and finish. I likewise would be out if the Cobalt is the consensus selection..