Jinhao 159

Malcy

This is my daily pen. I love the way it writes and how well it behaves for me. I cleaned it well when first purchased. I also switched nibs. I put in a broad nib from Goulet Pen and wow I was in LOVE. I carry it a leather " reader eyeglass" sleeve and goes into my jacket or my jean pocket. I load this pen with Noodlers X-Feather.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• Malcy

• robofkent

• Benpiggy

Very, very, very big. The Jinhao X450 is about as large a pen as I can manage.

Is the 159 bigger than the X450

Lovely! I have X650 and x950 and (in porcelain) and both are beautiful and with very good pens. I think I will order 159 soon.

Edited by Alex2014

Just to add a bit of extra salt and pepper to this thread, I enclose some pictures of my recent acqusition of a "customized" version of the 159.

I must say that I had been reluctant up to now to buy one because of the different and valuable opinions that can be read here (like the clip style, nib characteristics, start-up issues, etc...), until last week, when I went to get my newspaper at the newsagent and discovered a new collection of Fountain Pens being sold there in fascicles.

A new issue is meant to be available every week, each one being dedicated to a famous writer, composer, painter...the first one honouring L.Van Beethoven, one of the composers I admire the most.

Needless to say that, at a price of 8€, and with the musical details that make it different from the "standard" version, I could not resist the temptation.

I hope that the pictures show clearly enough these details in terms of the bass clef at the clip and the musical staff at the cap ring.

By the way, it writes with a medium-to-fine line, quite smoothly, right from the start, and I am enjoying it quite a lot, I must say.

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0184.jpg

I also have a 159 and love it. I changed the nib to a German Knox (paid $9 for the nib, new) and it writes like a dream. I also have an x750 and they're both great values for $10 each delivered. Of course it doesn't have the quality as my MB, but the MB doesn't feel 50 times better either ...

Enjoy all pens!

- Mike

Hi Mike mind if I ask where did you get the german Knox nib from and did you install it yourself. I've also bought a black Jinhao 159 off Ebay and still waiting for it to arrive to Australia, really looking forward to trying it

Hi Mike mind if I ask where did you get the german Knox nib from and did you install it yourself. I've also bought a black Jinhao 159 off Ebay and still waiting for it to arrive to Australia, really looking forward to trying it

See my post here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/216230-jinhao-159/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2378450

Got mine from xfountainpens.com.

-I'm also Mike but not the other Mike that you asked :-)

Edited by testrider

Got three 159 in different variants and all of them are great performers and easily dismantled for cleaning and playing with, including the Beethoven :) all my friends who bought it are happy with it.

Knox are far better in fine nibs, and the bullow is better build but, anyway, 159 is a bang for the buck in any variant.

Got three 159 in different variants and all of them are great performers and easily dismantled for cleaning and playing with, including the Beethoven :) all my friends who bought it are happy with it.

Knox are far better in fine nibs, and the bullow is better build but, anyway, 159 is a bang for the buck in any variant.

Hi sorry but what do you mean by three different variants, I thought there was only one variant being the traditional Jinhao 159

• 3 weeks later...

Hi sorry but what do you mean by three different variants, I thought there was only one variant being the traditional Jinhao 159

I ordered one about a year ago and it was slightly different from the newer one I got for my friend. Even better build quality. Also, the difference was the etched inside of the letters.

• 4 months later...

I own a 159, X450, and a X750. For the money I paid, I was pretty impressed with the quality of the nibs and the metal build of the pens. I will say though that I much prefer Duke over Jinhao—after purchasing a 209 it seemed to be a better version of Jinhao. Plus, I'm not a big fan of large pens, and the 159 is pretty substantial in size.

I'm actually selling my Jinhaos after trying to clean up my fountain pen collection a little bit. All three for $10, free shipping in the US. If anyone is interested, please don't hesitate to message me or find me on ebay.

Got mine a couple weeks ago from the Goulets. All of the positive things have already been said, so I'll just say that I like it a LOT, but then I'm easy to please. It's huge, but it fits my [unorthodox] grip just fine. I might eventually renib it with a F or EF, but for right now I'm liking the M.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

It's not my daily pen, but I have a 159 with a Goulet 2-tone Medium Nib.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jinhao159/marble_full.jpg

I don't use it all that often, but it works well, it's large and sturdy. It works wonderfully with Waterman Intense Black cartridges (Syrah with that nib/feed combination works decent too). Out of the 'top' 3 Jinhao pens I know of X450, X750, 159, the 159 is probably the best constructed one in my opinion, but it's also quite a bit on the large size.

• 4 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, I've found a box full of beautifull nibs and bought it for nearly nothing.

fpn_1407874762__dscn0703.jpg

This morning, I took one out of the box and put it on my Jinhao 159. Woaw, it's just another pen : that good old gold nib is one of the most flexible I ever had .... Compared to the original stuff, it's from black to white !!!!!

As soon I have a day off, I will try the others on different pens ....

fpn_1407874803__dscn0702.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

After using this pen, off and on, for about two weeks, I noticed that my "penmanship" suffers when using it. I wrote some with it "uncapped," and my penmanship is improving. Is it the weight? C. S.

May I ask how is everybody's experience with the pen's paint?

I brought one 4 years ago, and the paint starts coming off just in a few months of regular use. There are excellent posts in explaining how to remove the paint to become brass-like - I was too lazy after trying for a few minutes.

I brought a new 159 a few months back and just start using it now.

Will see how it is holding up.

• 4 weeks later...

Just picked one up in orange for 2.75£ delivered! As long as the nib is better than the Hero 616's I've tried I think I just got myself a real bargain! :)

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

• 1 year later...