Jinhao 159

Malcy

I have the Bulow version (https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/213031-bulow-x530/). I like it so much I'm planning on getting the mottled blue version with a 2OB nib.

I don't like the clip on the Jinhao either: I think that's the place where the Bulow version is much better. But for $10, I'd grind the crest off!

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J English Smith

• Malcy

• robofkent

• Benpiggy

In general, I don't like the clip crests on Jinhaos, but it's hardly noticable on the 159, because of the size of the pen. I had to weigh mine to check it really was 50g - it is - because it feels so comfortable in the hand. Excellent balance. The nibs starts easy every time, and the cap threads are fine; a 3/4 turn to open. A veritable bargain!

Edited by impossiblebird

I'm liking mine a lot. I do think cartridges are pretty useful with this pen, since it's an ink gulper. I am going to have to order some large internationals next week. I tried a Lamy cart in it, but it was just a bit too loose at the nipple.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I now have the Bulow version to compare with my Jinhaos. My main niggle with the Bulow is that it will not post otherwise seems okay.

Are there any flow problems? I purchased a Jinhao x750 once and it would continuously skip; just wondering if there is any difference with this model.

Are there any flow problems? I purchased a Jinhao x750 once and it would continuously skip; just wondering if there is any difference with this model.

I have a couple of the Jinhao 159s with standard nibs and they wrote beautifully straight out of the box. On the other hand the Bulow versions with the upgraded German Knox nibs do not feel as smooth in my experience.

I liked the 159 enough that I ordered a second one from my eBay seller for about $10 to have in reserve. I looked at the Bulow version but the non-posting bothered me. I also didn't like the trim on the pen as much as the Jinhao.

I am using Waterman cartridges in it now and that's a nice combination because of the aforementioned "residue after converter filling" problem. I have 25 long royal blue international cartridges on order for about 36 cents apiece. Think that will be a good combination for this pen. It sucked up ink from one of the short MB carts in about 1/2 a day of writing! Yikes! It is a bit of an ink hose, but it does NOT skip, very consistent flow and fairly smooth. A surprisingly smooth nib on this stock version for the money.

Down the road, who knows, I could see modifying these to be fine nibs to cut down on the ink flow...

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

I liked the 159 enough that I ordered a second one from my eBay seller for about $10 to have in reserve. I looked at the Bulow version but the non-posting bothered me. I also didn't like the trim on the pen as much as the Jinhao.

I am using Waterman cartridges in it now and that's a nice combination because of the aforementioned "residue after converter filling" problem. I have 25 long royal blue international cartridges on order for about 36 cents apiece. Think that will be a good combination for this pen. It sucked up ink from one of the short MB carts in about 1/2 a day of writing! Yikes! It is a bit of an ink hose, but it does NOT skip, very consistent flow and fairly smooth. A surprisingly smooth nib on this stock version for the money.

Down the road, who knows, I could see modifying these to be fine nibs to cut down on the ink flow...

I agree with Rob, the 159 nib is pretty darn smooth right out of the box.

I'm letting kids in class use my 159 and I have noticed that the lacquer is starting to wear, especially at the barrel end. it's brass underneath.

I'm letting kids in class use my 159 and I have noticed that the lacquer is starting to wear, especially at the barrel end. it's brass underneath.

After how much time? Couple of months? Interesting...

After how much time? Couple of months? Interesting...

Not long, less than a month but they are hard on pens. :rolleyes:

I think all it would take for this monster to become a cult pen is for someone to make a really big after-market converter for it. Oh--and maybe to get rid of the shield on the clip ...

ron

I agree completely. I ordered one of these and it arrived more promptly than expected. It is astonishingly good for the money, and Ron has a very good point.

Leo

I've collected a whole slew of Chinese pens over the past few years. About a quarter of them write wonderfully and have proven to be great bargains; about a quarter of them are just ok--ie, they work; about half have had one kind of problem or another. I've given Jinhao/Bulow pens lots of chances since I like the look & weight of them. It may simply be my bad luck, but I may have only 2 or 3 decent performers out of perhaps 10 or 12 Jinhao/Bulow pens I've bought. My main complaint has to do with extremely unreliable ink flow and this is after I've worked on the feeds and nibs. Anyhow, I'd decided to pass on this brand in the future. When I saw this review of the Jinhao 159, I decided to take a chance and order one. It's just arrived and here are a few observations: First, it's a really heavy pen, but I still find it to be pretty comfortable. In addition, the one I received seems solidly put together and a definite upgrade over most of the other under-$20 Chinese pens I've purchased. Most importantly, I've encountered no flow problems. As has been noted, it's broad for a medium nib and mine is a wet writer too (with Sheaffer Skrip). If it keeps performing this well, it might be a good candidate for a nib grind. In the meantime, I think I'll try a drier (perhaps iron-gall) ink in it and see if that moderates the flow. In sum, I'm really pleased with this pen thus far--thanks for the review.

I think all it would take for this monster to become a cult pen is for someone to make a really big after-market converter for it. Oh--and maybe to get rid of the shield on the clip ...

ron

i must say i like the converter the size it is -change ink colors very quickly and don't need a bigger reservoir.

and, tho', i totally dislike the crest on the clip (and i mean i hate it with a passion!!!!!!!!! :gaah: ), i think in the case of the J159, this type of clip is what gives it personality (and this is the case of the Dukes, as well. i think the crest goes well with them). just MO :blush: .

thanx for the heads-up.

i think the blind cap is lacquer over metal, but the rest of it is plastic. at least the cap feels like plastic. i can't really tell for sure about the barrel... :hmm1:

hmmmm, chinese using plastic on these pens and fitting them with medium and some times B nibs... the future of chinese pens look good, IMO. still hate the crests of the clips :sick:

...It may simply be my bad luck, but I may have only 2 or 3 decent performers out of perhaps 10 or 12 Jinhao/Bulow pens I've bought. My main complaint has to do with extremely unreliable ink flow and this is after I've worked on the feeds and nibs. Anyhow, I'd decided to pass on this brand in the future. When I saw this review of the Jinhao 159, I decided to take a chance and order one. It's just arrived and here are a few observations: First, it's a really heavy pen, but I still find it to be pretty comfortable. In addition, the one I received seems solidly put together and a definite upgrade over most of the other under-$20 Chinese pens I've purchased. Most importantly, I've encountered no flow problems. As has been noted, it's broad for a medium nib and mine is a wet writer too (with Sheaffer Skrip). If it keeps performing this well, it might be a good candidate for a nib grind. In the meantime, I think I'll try a drier (perhaps iron-gall) ink in it and see if that moderates the flow. In sum, I'm really pleased with this pen thus far--thanks for the review.

I had the same first impressions of the 159 - solid with a nice "feel." Mine initially had flow problems; in fact it would not start at all (almost). I had to flush it with mild soap and warm water, and then it was okay. I decided to give it a Knox K35 fine nib, but now I find that it is a bit too fine. I am new to this hobby and am not sure if the K35 fine is overly fine, or if the Jinhao medium is too wide, but there is definitely more than just a one size difference between the two. I had the same problem with a Jinhao X450. I exchanged the nib for a Knox extra fine and this was way overdoing it. I ground the original nib down last night and it is now almost exactly right. This was my first shot at grinding so I am very pleased with the results. I suppose I could have bought another couple of Knox nibs for these pens, but even though they are economically priced, I could not see the point in investing any more in these pens. I am thinking about getting another 159 before they get "discovered" driving the price up.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I lucked out. The new 159 arrived and seems strong, heavy, and flawless (so far!)

I inked it with Pelikan Royal Blue fully expecting it to skip, not feed, and otherwise misbehave. Surprise! It lays down ink gangbusters.

My only complaint is that the nib is too broad. I think I'll work on it a bit to create a fine point. The converter capacity isn't all that large.

Bottom line? It's a 10/10, considering the price.

Incidentally, the weight and sheer mass of it has altered my handwriting. If I let myself go, the 159 is eager to make curlicues, long word endings, and draw pictures. Maybe I'll have to retract my semi-final opinion about never buying Chinese pens.

T/

I've had this pen for approx. 2 weeks now and given the price, I'd second tdeecy's high rating. What's impressed me the most is that the pen's consistently started right up after sitting unused for a while--at one point for 2-3 days. Having bought a lot of Chinese pens with generally mixed results (see my earlier post in this thread), I've got to say that the 159 is easily among the best ones I have. I don't know if I was just fortunate in this case or if this model represents an improvement in design and/or quality control; either way, I may order another.

My second one came and it seems as good as the first, qc-wise. I haven't inked it yet, but flow looked good on a water test. The clip is even a little better than the first, less flex.

Gotta turn the nibs into Mediums, eventually, though - it does burn through the ink!