Goulet Pen Company

Meleemaker

Yes, that double Ink Drop was very nice, and some great colors, too. I'm glad I signed up again.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• 1984Drew

• MrsGouletPens

• Meleemaker

Unfortunately, I didn't have a very good experience with my first time purchasing from the Goulet pen company, so I am hesitant to try again. After all, first impressions are usually the strongest.

There were 3 issues in total with my order, some were due to bad luck and the others due to a mistake or carelessness by the staff. My emails were being answered by different staff, that did not know of the original issue, leading me to have to re-tell the issues again and again. Eventually after a week the frustration led to me waking up at around 3-4am to make an international call to solves the issues.

Although they were happy to resend some products to me and refund the costs on credit, the experience was less than satisfying.

I am debating whether to purchase from them again, since they have very reasonable prices and a great range of products.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a very good experience with my first time purchasing from the Goulet pen company, so I am hesitant to try again. After all, first impressions are usually the strongest.

There were 3 issues in total with my order, some were due to bad luck and the others due to a mistake or carelessness by the staff. My emails were being answered by different staff, that did not know of the original issue, leading me to have to re-tell the issues again and again. Eventually after a week the frustration led to me waking up at around 3-4am to make an international call to solves the issues.

Although they were happy to resend some products to me and refund the costs on credit, the experience was less than satisfying.

I am debating whether to purchase from them again, since they have very reasonable prices and a great range of products.

My experiences with the Goulets has been amazing and flawless. Perhaps one blip I had was one ink bottle leaking, but it didn't travel at all due to their amazing packaging. They actually, immediately credited me for the ink as well, which was pretty amazing as I had almost a whole bottle. Every pen I've purchased has been an amazing performer. I email them questions and always get a very fast reply. IMHO you will not find another store that has the range of pens, paper, journals, ink, ink samples, fountain pen accessories and customer service in the galaxy. At FPN, we are so lucky to have great suppliers and it is really important that opinions are balanced so basically they stay in business and the members that enjoy their services keep getting them. Every one of the merchants here have their core competencies. Chatterley has amazing deals on unique, high quality brands like Omas and Delta. Classic/Nibs.com delivers wonderful nib tuning together with great brands. Jetpens has wonderful Asian craft accessories, Sailor inks, pencils, cases and the widest range of high quality Asian journals. We are incredibly lucky to have all these great people supporting us, including the Goulets!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

My experiences with the Goulets has been amazing and flawless. Perhaps one blip I had was one ink bottle leaking, but it didn't travel at all due to their amazing packaging. They actually, immediately credited me for the ink as well, which was pretty amazing as I had almost a whole bottle. Every pen I've purchased has been an amazing performer. I email them questions and always get a very fast reply. IMHO you will not find another store that has the range of pens, paper, journals, ink, ink samples, fountain pen accessories and customer service in the galaxy. At FPN, we are so lucky to have great suppliers and it is really important that opinions are balanced so basically they stay in business and the members that enjoy their services keep getting them. Every one of the merchants here have their core competencies. Chatterley has amazing deals on unique, high quality brands like Omas and Delta. Classic/Nibs.com delivers wonderful nib tuning together with great brands. Jetpens has wonderful Asian craft accessories, Sailor inks, pencils, cases and the widest range of high quality Asian journals. We are incredibly lucky to have all these great people supporting us, including the Goulets!

agreed, well put

I am grateful

Coming back to the earlier post by @TiffWingKiu, the question (implicitly) being asked was: In light of my recent negative experience, should I risk buying from them again?

My answer would be "yes" - I've purchased from the Goulets multiple times, international delivery, with zero problems (apart from a bottle of ink that leaked slightly - and for which I received a store credit!). And I've always found them responsive when I had a query or concern.

Anyone (and/or any organisation) can have an off day, and perform well below their best - and it sounds to me like you caught them at one of those times where they were not quite on their game. (Bear in mind too, they've recently switched to a new website - and it's given them a lot of teething problems.) If they have the products you want at a price you're willing to pay, and if you're prepared to give them another go, I'll be surprised if you have another negative experience with them.

I'm so happy this thread is still going. I have gone to tech school and graduated with degree. Unfortunately...my job was unfit for a fountain pen. I have recently tried looking at goulet. Still won't catch me buying from anywhere else. I have even seen their artwork showing up on different sites. Imgur being one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to hear that you have had a good experience with them.

I too am very grateful and feel lucky that we have so many suppliers of FPs compared to the past. I hope that people that read this thread do not misunderstand me to be actively discouraging people from using this company, or that I am trying to put them out of business, however i think it is "balanced" to let others know of the experience that I have had with them, just as most people have too.
I believe it would be inappropriate to moderate my experience/comment as I only hope to give a more accurate depiction of what may/may not occur to others. I would have be more than happy to post about my wonderful experience with them if I did have it, but did not. I'm sure in most cases that if some customers experienced what I did, they would not be considering of returning to the company, as I am.
As a fellow FP user, I hope that others will have great experiences associated with FPs, and it is up to members of FPN to decide, with both sides in mind.
@Jamerelbe, There is a possibility that I did catch them at their worst.. I will keep in mind your opinion, when considering whether to be a return customer.
Edited by TiffWingKiu

I'm also amazed that this thread has been going on for so long!

Goulet is a great company, and I've never had a problem with them. Been a customer for 4 years now. What really sells me on them, versus a few other online pen outlets, is Brian's blog, personal reviews, and videos for a tremendous amount of products.

I've worked in online retail before, and have noticed that they tend to fall into two extremes: the side-business, run by an enthusiast at home who's passionate but lacks resources, or the mega-company with a lot of money to throw around and product to offer, but has no personality. At my company (recently went public and valued at several billion dollars), we had managers who cared only about bottom line, buyers who cared about moving product, and the writers and photographers like us just wanted to clock out at the end of the day. I give a lot of credit to our in-house customer service, who defused a lot of tricky situations, but the rest of us just wanted a paycheck.

With Goulet, I might not actually see anyone face-to-face, but they reminded me of the folks back at Bromfield and Bob Slate in the Boston area, where everyone that worked there were pen geeks and really passionate about everything they sold. They've got enough manpower to run a smooth operation, but a personable website and service that makes you feel like the experience matters as much as the product. I especially like that they shoot their own catalog photos--there's nothing that screams 'we just want your money' more than using a single low-resolution vendor image.

There are so many sellers out there that really remind you that the internet is completely anonymous, or just trying to sell something. Goulet reminds you that it's run by the same kind of people that hang out here.

Edited by takkun

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir

My experience with the Goulets has been excellent. I did notice, though, that my last shipment of two De Atramentis inks, which do not come in boxes, was wrapped only in bubble wrap, without the usual multiple layers of blue plastic wrap underneath. Everything was OK, but if there had been any spillage, it would have been a real mess.

I do think the Goulets deserve our support because of the incredible amount of educational material Brian has produced. When someone I meet becomes interested in pens, all I have to do is give him the Goulet url, knowing that he will find everything he needs, and everything he needs to know to get started.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

My experience with the Goulets has been excellent. I did notice, though, that my last shipment of two De Atramentis inks, which do not come in boxes, was wrapped only in bubble wrap, without the usual multiple layers of blue plastic wrap underneath. Everything was OK, but if there had been any spillage, it would have been a real mess.

I do think the Goulets deserve our support because of the incredible amount of educational material Brian has produced. When someone I meet becomes interested in pens, all I have to do is give him the Goulet url, knowing that he will find everything he needs, and everything he needs to know to get started.

Ink packaging seems to be the weak spot in fountain pen sellers, but after seeing a lot of broken Iroshizuku bought from Amazon by our fellows, I didn't expect to receive a thick brown paper envelope with a loose 30 ml Pilot Blue Black bottle in its original flimsy box with no added protection, bought from some Hong Kong eBay seller. And it didn't break. I guess I was lucky.

As soon as I saw the Ninja Turtles in the background of his video's I knew they were a solid company.

Keep your nose clean and your nib wet.

-Mullen88

As soon as I saw the Ninja Turtles in the background of his video's I knew they were a solid company.

+1 on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!