Modern Crest Fountain Pen

Guest PeteWK

I've recently purchased a curiosity to me, a modern Sheaffer Crest fountain pen. Do any others out in Pendom have experience with this make. I don't see it come around very often and this is the first one I've had an opportunity to write with. What are the nib variations and how do you like writing with them? Also, does anyone out there own a CP2 or regular sterling silver version of this pen? Those interest me.

PeteWK

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flere-Imsaho

• Kees

• solaris

• dcjacobson

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guess what my favourite pen is? ;)

I have a black-barrelled goldfill-capped medium-nibbed Crest from the early nineties, which is rather rare because of the narrow band at the base of the cap (mostly, it’s broad).

The 18K Triumph nib has little flex, but I don’t expect line variation from a medium nib: the variation that is comes from the angle of writing. Really outstanding are smoothness and ink flow. “Medium” verges to broad, in this case (as compared with the Balances I have).

I have invested a lot of money in every major brand until I finally got this Crest: it restored my faith in FPs. I treasure it –nobody can make an offer I wouldn’t refuse...

Kees

I have several modern Crests.

Sheaffer Crest Nova Red Laque S

Sheaffer Crest Nova Blue Laque XF

Sheaffer Crest Opalite marine green M

Sheaffer Crest Opalite red F

Sheaffer Crest Opalite golden brown F

But for me this one (Sheaffer Crest Opalite marine green, beautiful celluloid) is by far the most beautiful Crest ever made.

For more information on the modern Crest check out:

Penhero article: The Modern Sheaffer Crest 1989-1998

The modern Crest is a superb writer. The Crest has a modern version of the triumph wrap-around nib that looks like an extension of the barrel. Because of its shape, the Crest's nib is very firm; however, it is also extremely smooth. If one thing could be changed than it would be the excessive amount of twist needed to unscrew the cap. That was definitely better on the old snorkel pens, which unscrew with a just a small twist.

Enjoy,

/:) Hans.

post-30-1166351985_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hans Geelen

smilehttp://home.kpn.nl/geele160/pinno.gifand enjoy the moment

But for me this one (Sheaffer Crest Opalite marine green, beautiful celluloid) is by far the most beautiful Crest ever made.

Enjoy,

Hans, have you ever realized, that the Opalite marine green celluloid very much resembles the Aurora Optima green marbled Auroloide? It may even be the same stuff. I have only the BP yet, and it shows green, turqoise and black marbling. This is my favourite regular Auroloide colour. :huh:

Edited by saintsimon

Guess what my favourite pen is? ;)

I have a black-barrelled goldfill-capped medium-nibbed Crest from the early nineties, which is rather rare because of the narrow band at the base of the cap (mostly, it’s broad).

The 18K Triumph nib has little flex, but I don’t expect line variation from a medium nib: the variation that is comes from the angle of writing. Really outstanding are smoothness and ink flow. “Medium” verges to broad, in this case (as compared with the Balances I have).

I have invested a lot of money in every major brand until I finally got this Crest: it restored my faith in FPs. I treasure it –nobody can make an offer I wouldn’t refuse...

Kees

Wow, I would say that was a ringing endorsement for certain! I find it very interesting that the first three responders are all from Europe. That makes me wonder if the Crest was heavily advertised over there and not so much in the U.S. where the pen is rather scarce. Mine is a fine and writes VERY nicely. I've read the Penhero webpage but really had never given the Crest much thought until I actually won this one on eBay.

I don't know about the cap on Hans' pen or pens but mine untwists with very little movement at all, probably less than my snorkels. I will agree with you all and say this is a real sleeper. In my language useage that means a great pen and few people know how great.

PeteWK

ps - my Crest is the same black barrel with gold plated cap as Kees'

I don't know about the cap on Hans' pen or pens but mine untwists with very little movement at all, probably less than my snorkels.

I just checked to be sure.

My snorkel needs a 200 degree turn to unlock the cap.

My crest opalite needs a wopping 540 degree turn to unlock the cap.

My crest nova red needs a 400 degree turn to unlock the cap.

The strange thing is the caps of the opalite and nova are interchangeable. So I checked the threads. The barrel threads are the same, but the threads in the nova cap are give a lot less play than the opalite cap when the cap is unscrewed just a little bit. So the opalite cap has more play, and when you tighten the cap you have to overcome the play which means almost a halve turn more.

But still, the snorkel needs only a little bit more than a halve turn to unlock the cap.

Enjoy,

I find it very interesting that the first three responders are all from Europe. That makes me wonder if the Crest was heavily advertised over there and not so much in the U.S. where the pen is rather scarce.

Here in in the south of the Netherlands the modern Crest was a widely available pen. Most pen store only sold the big tree, Parker, Waterman and Sheaffer. And the Crest was the top of the line, so on prominent display at that time.

Enjoy,

For more information on the modern Crest check out:

Penhero article: The Modern Sheaffer Crest 1989-1998

[...]

If one thing could be changed than it would be the excessive amount of twist needed to unscrew the cap. That was definitely better on the old snorkel pens, which unscrew with a just a small twist.

Also note that my contribution to the history of the modern Crest (however modest) is being acknowledged at the end of the PenHero page! :D

A rare exception: normally, no one takes notice of me... ;)

The screw/unscrew behavior of the Crest is an interesting point: with my Crest, it’s a matter of 180 degrees, which confirms Pete’s observation that we own the same model and generation.

My modern Crest is one of my best writers. Is a broad nib that flows like the Amazon river, never skips, never doubts, never stops, just writes and writes. Mine is the burgundy (like the one on the first pic on PenHero's fantastic review) and I absolutely adore it. BTW, the cap still has the sticker on it...

Regarding the cap, I try to avoid using this pen that much anymore because I realized the clip is slightly wobbly... Maybe at one point I should send it to a repair man to check this...

Regarding the cap, I try to avoid using this pen that much anymore because I realized the clip is slightly wobbly... Maybe at one point I should send it to a repair man to check this...

I realize you live in Paris, but Sheaffer in Fort Madison will repair this condition.

Good luck,

Don

I realize you live in Paris, but Sheaffer in Fort Madison will repair this condition.

Good luck,

Don

Thanks, Don, for the tip. Maybe I should consider that option (but I don't think it will be a cheap one...:D)

Cheers!

How many of these did Sheaffer sell? I never seem to see them on the common sites or EBay. I'd like to buy one, one of these days.

I'm not sure who can answer that question. They were in the stable for nearly 10 years but I rarely see them on eBay either. And I pretty much keep track of every Sheaffer on the site. What it comes down to is the Modern Crest was made in the day of the Fountain Pen as Luxury Item rather than must have necessity, so the production numbers are just going to be low. You don't see that many Connaisseurs either (though more than the Crest).

PeteWK

I own quite a few sheaffer Crest's my everyday pen, i think the nib has got to be the best for any modern sheaffer pen always flows really nicely and the fine nibs are exceptional. This is the pen i always return to. I feel it's a very much understated pen, it may be modern and i guess that puts off loads of pen fanatics, but the quality and technology of the nib beats all the older Crests i have.

I suggest you get your hands on one and experience the difference.

Happy Pen Hunting :D

I have just one Crest, a really chinzy-colored gold laquer that I think looks really cool. I have a B nib that I had Richard Binder customize to a cursive italic. It is a fun pen and I use it regularly. My only problem is mine alone - I have a service connected injury to my right hand that prevents me from using narrow pens for any length of time. The Crest is, for me, a fairly narrow pen. But, as I said, that issue is unusual.

Why aren't there more Crests available for sale? I have conjectured that the pens are good and people might tend to use them and, hence, don't sell them readily. I would have two or three more if they were easier to find. By the way, the one I have I bought from Europe.

The Sheaffer Crest re-issue are some of my favourite modern pens.

Over the years, I believe that I have managed to collect every single variant issued, including what I believe to be a brown striated prototype and the CP2 sterling silver FP issued by Andy Lambrou.

The fountain pens have fabulously smooth nibs which are great for everyday use. I wasn't aware of their scarcity in the USA. However, I can understand why people are reluctant to sell them !

Stylish pens which are great performers.

This set is always in my laptop case and provides me with a complete artillery of writing modes (FP/BP/RB/MP).

Smooth Palladium finish (model 594)

http://xs110.xs.to/xs110/06524/Sets-021.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality photo (it is an old one)

I'll try and take some other photos soon and post here.

Sarj

OK you have gotten my interest...

Does anyone know where one might find a modern Crest...

Preferably in Palladium or all Black.... with either a fine nib or a broad that I can send to Richard to stub...

The Sheaffer Crest re-issue are some of my favourite modern pens.

Over the years, I believe that I have managed to collect every single variant issued, including what I believe to be a brown striated prototype and the CP2 sterling silver FP issued by Andy Lambrou.

The fountain pens have fabulously smooth nibs which are great for everyday use. I wasn't aware of their scarcity in the USA. However, I can understand why people are reluctant to sell them !

Stylish pens which are great performers.

This set is always in my laptop case and provides me with a complete artillery of writing modes (FP/BP/RB/MP).

Smooth Palladium finish (model 594)

http://xs110.xs.to/xs110/06524/Sets-021.jpg

Apologies for the poor quality photo (it is an old one)

I'll try and take some other photos soon and post here.

Daddy Like Very Much.

PeteWK

Hmmm, last time I was in the local pen store they still had a mint Crest Paladium (like on the photo above) for sale. Probably dipped a few time (they do that in that store). Do not know the price and nib size but can check.

Enjoy,

Flere