So, Has Anyone's Twsbi Not Broken?

Koyote

I have been very happy indeed with my TWSBI 530, and will order another very soon. It never hesitates and is a pleasure to use. I have just ordered a 1.5 nib.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Icywolfe

• Freddy

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love my TWSBI's (a 540 and an ROC 100). When I saw the cracking complaints, I took a good look at mine with a loupe. Alas, I did see the cracks in the rear end of the barrel section and the grip. I e-mailed TWSBI and received the new parts very quickly. This happened on both pens. I installed the new parts and all is well.

By The Way: if you have to disassemble your pen please be sure to watch the video about how to reassemble on YouTube from TWSBI. They make a very important point which might be missed---When you put back the piston assembly in the rear end of the pen, be sure to use the wrench which came with the pen because it will give you the proper gap when you finish tightening it down and pull out the wrench. Then you can operate the pen. Don't try to tighten down the tail assembly til the barrel and tail end meet (without a gap) because the pen won't work right.

I found out the above the hard way.

Bottom line: three cheers for TWSBI. Customer service is great, the pen writes like a dream, fun to get new nibs at will, great ink capacity. I am on for a Vac when they come out. Yum. I am a fan.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Love my TWSBI pen but my nib is still giving me issues. The 1.1 italic nib just needs a bit more ink to have a A+ mark in my book... But god, I love this pen.

• 1 month later...

With sadness I have to amend my earlier post to say that, yes, my TWSBI, too, has "broken." It has three cracks toward the end of the barrel, running parallel to the pen. They aren't affecting usage, but...still. Shame.

-eo

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. --Albert Einstein

No cracks, no issues. I have swapped nibs, now using a Pendleton grind to a 0.6 CI and it had made this my best writing pen. Others are more beautiful, but none are more functional or smooth. A great pen for the money, bar none.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Mine hasn't cracked and I've been daily carrying it for a couple of weeks.

"One always looking for flaws leaves too little time for construction" ...

I have 3 but my ROC100 has never been inked. That said the other two are two of my most used pens and I don't have any cracks.

No problems whatsoever with my 530 and 540.

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

My two 540's cracked, the caps, the barrels and the grips. Right now I have one pen I have made from two (waiting until new material that Speedy was testing on their Facebook the other day is released). My Micarta is in tip top shape right now, no issues heh. And I JUST bought a 530 from Penchetta that they put their own 14k gold 1.1 stub nib in. So far so good (hope it stays that way since I really LOVE the nib heh).

Both my my TWSBI travel with me everywhere, in a thin leather case, sometimes *gasp* my pocket and neither have broken or cracked. My TWSBI are sturdy and work awesome.

There have been LOTS of posts on FPN about faulty TWSBIs - cracked barrels, cracked caps, cap rings that break off, etc, etc.

I really want to try a Diamond 540, but all the posts about problems have scared me off. Have any of you bought TWSBIs and NOT had problems?

Seriously, have you checked Etsy.com yet?

Check out my blog ComfortableShoesStudio.com

No problems with my 540. For $60, a great warranty, a faithful following, a company that participates on FPN, why hesitate give a try.

"The fountain pen is mightier than the ballpoint"

My Blog: www.MyPenNeedsInk.com

No problems with my 540. For $60, a great warranty, a faithful following, a company that participates on FPN, why hesitate give a try.

This sounded like good solid reasoning, so I ordered a 540, after I had been thinking about it a while. I need to use it the way comfortableshoes describes. (Except for the pockets, because I don't usually have any. ) Appreciate everybody sharing their 540/530 stories.

If it does crack or crumble (heaven forfend!) it's good to know I can get a replacement with no fuss. Unless it's my fault, of course. I'm pretty careful but hey, life happens.

I'm still on my original 530. Granted, I've taken great care of it and I've only filled it three times, so perhaps it hasn't been exercised enough yet to exhibit any real problems.

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

I had my 540 get the cracks in the section back in January. Philip had replacements to my door within three days of my email to him. I just noticed cracks in the body where the metal band is for the piston, and again he had the replacement parts at my door within three days (yesterday).

The cracks were disappointing but the service is great. Now the pen is back to new shape with very little hassle. I am very happy with their service and this makes me happy with their pens.

Greebe

I mentioned in an earlier post that I recently ordered a 540 in Smoke. I also managed to get a 540 with a 1.1 stub around the same time. Been using it for a couple of weeks now - no problems whatsoever. I carry them in a fabric pen wrap in my handbag and they're doing fine. My first-generation 530 also has no problems.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I have 2 TWISI 540s. Each has cracked in the section. Both have cracked at the top of the barrel in an almost identical J shaped curve. I really like the design and the philosophy of the company and the swift way problems are dealt with but it must be said that there are clearly problems with the materials used in the manufacture of the pens. I have got a little frustrated with the situation. I wont be buying another TWISBI until these problems are sorted out. I am optimistic this will happen but it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I got my TWSBI Diamond 540 at first light. I had one on

advance order from WritingDesk in the UK. (good folks)

It is part of my pen rotation. I have used it three times,

each time for a two week period. No complaints.

Eight TWSBI 540's found their way into Christmas stocking

in December. They are likely in light use. No complaints.

Visually, I detect heavy acrylic construction. Unless

there is some manufacturing defect, I don't see where

the pen would crack under normal use. It could happen.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi all,

If you want proof that TWBI are taking this seriously, and have essentially fixed the problem please check out their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/TWSBI

Check out the videos dated April 20th and 24th. If that doesn't convince you I don't know what will.

Cheers!

Hi all,

If you want proof that TWBI are taking this seriously, and have essentially fixed the problem please check out their facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/TWSBI

Check out the videos dated April 20th and 24th. If that doesn't convince you I don't know what will.

Cheers!

WOW!!!!!!