So, Has Anyone's Twsbi Not Broken?

Koyote

There have been LOTS of posts on FPN about faulty TWSBIs - cracked barrels, cracked caps, cap rings that break off, etc, etc.

I really want to try a Diamond 540, but all the posts about problems have scared me off. Have any of you bought TWSBIs and NOT had problems?

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• Icywolfe

• Freddy

• JefferyS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine is fine :)

Admittedly it lives on my desk and pretty much stays there, but I haven't had any problems - and I find it (as my first TWSBI) to be a pleasure to use ...

Mine's a 530. After I changed to the 1.5 piston seal, I pretty much have no problems with it. I use it regularly, but don't treat it roughly or carelessly. I'm thinking of getting a 540 and a Vac 700 next. TWSBI customer service is tops, too, if you have concerns.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

I have a 530 as well that has never had a problem (aside from very minor leakage past the 1.0 piston seal, and some nib roughness after being dropped nib down into a stainless steel sink). It is a daily user and carried either in my shirt pocket or a pen roll. It spends a lot of time running around the office and has been dropped (cap on, except the afore mentioned sink incident -- caused by a cold nose in the back of my knee [dogs, got to love them...]).

Edited by dgturner

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --

There have been LOTS of posts on FPN about faulty TWSBIs - cracked barrels, cracked caps, cap rings that break off, etc, etc.

I really want to try a Diamond 540, but all the posts about problems have scared me off. Have any of you bought TWSBIs and NOT had problems?

I have a couple of 540's that have been trouble free.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

Two 530's and a 540; no trouble. Also gifted a 530 and have heard no complaints from the recipient.

What you're seeing is "selection bias". People whose pens are fine have no reason to complain, so you only hear from the people whose pens aren't doing fine.

My 540 is a tank and it gets a considerable amount of jostling about campus, car, home etc. in backpacks and on the desk. No leaks or cracks, it holds plenty of ink and is tons of fun to use.

Don't live in fear, it's a pen with a good warranty.

At a rough guess, I calculated we had completed half of our galactic revolution: I had only to be patient, the second half always seemed to go by more quickly.

Mine is fine :)

Admittedly it lives on my desk and pretty much stays there, but I haven't had any problems - and I find it (as my first TWSBI) to be a pleasure to use ...

My experience exactly.

My 540 is fine, trouble free and a pleasure to use.

When you have pen and ink, every problem needs a piece of paper.

I have a 530 also, changed from a F to M nib, but use it all the time, carrying it in my purse, using it at work. Dropped it once, on carpet. No problems whatsoever in almost a year thumbup.gif

Tamara

1329533776[/url]' post='2253453']

Not only has my 540 been problem-free, it's convinced me that I want more of them.

Ditto!

My TWSBI Diamond 540 has been perfect, straight out of the box. I want a couple more TWSBIs now, the Diamond 540 is that good! One of my favourite writers, it makes me wonder why I spent so much money on some of my other pens...

I have 3 each of 530 & 540. Half of them have been disassembled, poked, prodded, reamed, and switch-hitter nibs. No cracks, breaks, skips, runs, hits, or errors.

We won't talk about posting, however. :roflmho:

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I've had a 530 for around a year. The only problem I had was attempted to disassemble the plunger, where the flats rounded off. This may have been my fault, as I think I first turned the wrench in the wrong direction. I was able to overcome this by clamping the wrench in a vise to securely clamp against the flats.

I'd definitely buy another.

Steve

I have 9 TWSBIs. So far, my original 530 has had ink creep past the first seal in the piston. I was sent two new piston heads when they became available, but there is no sign that it will creep past the second seal or that there is additional ink getting between the seals. I haven't bothered to change it yet. I will note this problem has been resolved completely. Those buying now need not worry.

My original clear 540 had a crack develop in its section. I contacted Speedy (or Philip, I forget which). I got two new sections. Installation was a snap. The crack likely would have never been anything but a cosmetic issue, but it was resolved. Due to the number of cracks in the original 540 sections, they changed the way the sections are made now. This issue again has been resolved completely. Those buying now need not worry.

As to the other issues cited, I haven't seen multiple reports of any of these other things. These pens are essentially plastic pens. I have a Pelikan M200 a client manhandled a bit and now the cap is cracked in two. Things happen. There is also a defect rate with any pen. If you're worried about TWSBI, look at the response the owners with problems have gotten. This company so far resolves the issues it sees and improves the product when something comes up. I personally feel I can ask for no more.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

... Things happen. There is also a defect rate with any pen. If you're worried about TWSBI, look at the response the owners with problems have gotten. This company so far resolves the issues it sees and improves the product when something comes up. I personally feel I can ask for no more.

My sentiments exactly.

I have four pens, and all of them are fine. I keep mine at home, in a pen cup, and switch them out by the day, but so far I've not had any cracks in mine.

I haven't taken one apart to clean it out, but I will soon. If I have any problems I'll post it here. But honestly, OP, if you buy a TWSBI, odds are you'll be perfectly happy. The nib is a bit scratchy the first couple of pages you write, but after that it's super smooth. They hold a goodly amount of ink and feel great in your hand. If you have the money, go for it!

no affil

I have a TWSBI ROC. At the risk of jinxing the pen, I'll chime in that mine has been fine too, and I treat it a little roughly (put in jeans pocket, or toss in tote bag, or carry somewhere i might not bring the more costly pens) because it's an inexpensive pen compared to my celluloid pens or my sterling ones. So far, so good. Seems pretty sturdy to me. I'd say go ahead and get one.

Be sure to rinse It out thoroughly with water a few times before filling it with ink. I had trouble with the ink flowing, then I read about doing that on FPN, emptied it and rinsed, then refilled and it's been writing great.

Edited by sadiemagic

Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R.Tolkien