• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ecordeiro

• Ghost Plane

• rockspyder

• Tom Kellie

~ When I ordered a bespoke 149 EEF two years ago it was carefully explained to me that pricing varied from country to country.

Not only the taxes involved, but apparently there are other considerations unconnected with any particular Montblanc boutique.

It's best to visit a Montblanc boutique to sit down for a friendly conversation with the staff member trained in bespoke nib ordering.

There will be a particular individual who understands the bespoke options, how they may be customized to a purchaser's requirements and able to answer most questions.

Current bespoke pricing would be explained during such a meeting. Face-to-face works best, rather than a telephone call, as there are ample visuals to show.

Tom K.

~ When I ordered a bespoke 149 EEF two years ago it was carefully explained to me that pricing varied from country to country.

Not only the taxes involved, but apparently there are other considerations unconnected with any particular Montblanc boutique.

It's best to visit a Montblanc boutique to sit down for a friendly conversation with the staff member trained in bespoke nib ordering.

There will be a particular individual who understands the bespoke options, how they may be customized to a purchaser's requirements and able to answer most questions.

Current bespoke pricing would be explained during such a meeting. Face-to-face works best, rather than a telephone call, as there are ample visuals to show.

Tom K.

Hi !

Thank you so much for the information.

I will visit in a few days a Montblanc Boutique.

I really need a new Montblanc 149 feeder. Where can I find one ? In ebay, only find the older model.

ecordeiro,

Your best bet here is to start a new topic thread, and ask if anyone has one, though it would help if you could find out which feed design you need. The other topic that you clicked on that talks about the changes over time to the 149 should show some of the different feed designs.

Unfortunately, since Montblanc does not sell parts and does all of their own repairs, feeds would have to come from parts pens (ones that have been broken, etc), or similar sources.

The parts from those pens often end up on eBay, but don't usually end up being sold by people on the Fountain Pen Network.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

ecordeiro,

Your best bet here is to start a new topic thread, and ask if anyone has one, though it would help if you could find out which feed design you need. The other topic that you clicked on that talks about the changes over time to the 149 should show some of the different feed designs.

Unfortunately, since Montblanc does not sell parts and does all of their own repairs, feeds would have to come from parts pens (ones that have been broken, etc), or similar sources.

The parts from those pens often end up on eBay, but don't usually end up being sold by people on the Fountain Pen Network.

Hi kalessin !

Thank you so much for the information.

• 9 months later...

~ What bears repeating is that Montblanc's Bespoke Nib Service offers fully customized designs, to the limits of the metal.

When sitting for a Bespoke Nib consultation at any Montblanc boutique which offers the service there's typically a handwriting analysis session.

After obtaining the handwriting analysis results, the staff member trained in the Bespoke Nib Program will suggest several somewhat standard Bespoke options.

Those include, but aren't limited to, an italic nib, a BBB nib, a calligraphy nib, and a nib suited for left-handed writers.

However, according to client preferences, other Bespoke nibs are possible.

For example, an OF nib, a double-slitted music nib (as shown in this thread), an 8B signature nib, or my own EEF nib.

Montblanc's Nib Manufacture Team is open to variations on the above involving nib rigidity and flexibility, as well as in size and overall design.

With time I've realized that truly customized nibs to facilitate special strokes are indeed possible if requested.

I'm posting this at this time as it's come to my attention that Hamburg's nibsmiths have crafted rather special nibs as Bespoke creations.

Tom K.

~ What bears repeating is that Montblanc's Bespoke Nib Service offers fully customized designs, to the limits of the metal.

When sitting for a Bespoke Nib consultation at any Montblanc boutique which offers the service there's typically a handwriting analysis session.

After obtaining the handwriting analysis results, the staff member trained in the Bespoke Nib Program will suggest several somewhat standard Bespoke options.

Those include, but aren't limited to, an italic nib, a BBB nib, a calligraphy nib, and a nib suited for left-handed writers.

However, according to client preferences, other Bespoke nibs are possible.

For example, an OF nib, a double-slitted music nib (as shown in this thread), an 8B signature nib, or my own EEF nib.

Montblanc's Nib Manufacture Team is open to variations on the above involving nib rigidity and flexibility, as well as in size and overall design.

With time I've realized that truly customized nibs to facilitate special strokes are indeed possible if requested.

I'm posting this at this time as it's come to my attention that Hamburg's nibsmiths have crafted rather special nibs as Bespoke creations.

Tom K.

Very good explanation Mr. Tom, thank you very much for sharing this information.

Luis A.

Very good explanation Mr. Tom, thank you very much for sharing this information.

Luis A.

~ Hi, Luis!

Montblanc's Bespoke Program receives limited publicity, yet it continues.

I've learned this weekend that there's more options offered for Bespoke nibs than I'd realized.

They truly are one-of-a-kind, particularly if a client works with the Hamburg Nib Manufacture Team to customize a design.

The Bespoke EEF I ordered continues to be an exceptionally useful writer and is well-suited for detailed sketching.

Bespoke nibs aren't an everyday purchase, but that Montblanc offers them is highly appreciated.

Tom K.

Given the distance to boutiques in much of the US and the poor service I’ve experienced, it seems this will remain a fantasy for some of us short of a dedicated trip to the chosen few locales blessed by MB. I wish they realized how much business they leave on the table or drive away with their current business model (or lack thereof). After my recent experience with MB North America, I will be hesitant to repeat the experience for anything but the most basic physical repairs and never again for nib or flow problems.

I envy those in countries where customers are still cherished. My dreams of bespoke beauties will have to wait for my next overseas travel.

Given the distance to boutiques in much of the US and the poor service I’ve experienced, it seems this will remain a fantasy for some of us short of a dedicated trip to the chosen few locales blessed by MB. I wish they realized how much business they leave on the table or drive away with their current business model (or lack thereof). After my recent experience with MB North America, I will be hesitant to repeat the experience for anything but the most basic physical repairs and never again for nib or flow problems.

I envy those in countries where customers are still cherished. My dreams of bespoke beauties will have to wait for my next overseas travel.

You could. Or alternatively, I am sure you have good friends (who live in say, Dubai perhaps?) that can purchase you a pen, have a bespoke nib on it and send it your way within a few weeks?

But then those good friends, who might or might not live in Dubai, have all the fun playing with the pens. Even if they do have really good taste in pens and nibs.

I think Montblanc missed a trick with the bespoke nib service. If they had set it up like bespoke shoe makers: the initial sizing/last is the expensive bit, but subsiquant nibs/shoes are less as the measuring is done. This would make the considerable price of the first nib less of a hurdle, as you would see some of it as an investment as you could get all your future nibs made to measure at a lower cost.

~ Zdenek:

Very warm thanks for sharing screenshots of the video with me.

It's a Bespoke Montblanc Signature Nib with two slits.

Lovely strokes! That's my kind of broad nib!

Many, many THANKS!

Tom K.

~ Zdenek:

Many, many THANKS!

Tom K.

Tom, a picture is worth a thousand words. You have three e-mails. Enjoy!

Edited by Zdenek

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

~ Zdenek:

Many, many THANKS!

Tom K.

You're welcome, Tom. We both are enthusiasts, aren't we? :-))))

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill