I Just Ordered A Hakase...

mongrelnomad

So I just ordered a Hakase (buffalo horn, nipple, teardrop clip, F-nib). I have to wait 10 months and it will cost... rather a lot.

Tell me I'm not mad, because the buyer's remorse is kicking in big time!

Too many pens; too little writing.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mongrelnomad

• rhk

• ethernautrix

• daoud62

So I just ordered a Hakase (buffalo horn, nipple, teardrop clip, F-nib). I have to wait 10 months and it will cost... rather a lot.

Tell me I'm not mad, because the buyer's remorse is kicking in big time!

Perhaps because some poor little buffalo is running around without a horn and nipple?!

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Ha!

I rather not think of the water buffalo as anything other than a material donor (as I rather not think of the skinned cows as I wear my leather shoes).

I did get this rather cool drawing from Hakase ON my completed order form. Guess that's what my pen will look like :puddle:

Original:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/penlovermn/ScreenShot2012-02-09at183307.png

With the order confirmation:

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w432/penlovermn/ScreenShot2012-02-09at183243.png

Edited by mongrelnomad

Do they have an English web site?

I lived in Japan for 4 years but can't read the language.

I do love Japanese pens and would like to know more about the brand. notworthy1.gif

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Tell me I'm not mad

You're not mad.

Or you are mad, but you're in good company. thumbup.gif

The best way to not have buyers remorse is to have the money for the pen. I have found that when I purchased something expensive and did not save properly for it, then buyers remorse kicked in.

If you spent more than you wanted to, then cut out or cut down on something that you spend money on every month. Put the money you save towards the purchase of the pen. In 10 months, you will have a pen that was paid with money that you were going to spend on something else anyway. You are more likely to enjoy the pen much more.

I knew someone who bought an expensive Nakaya and never was comfortable using it. I think the problem was that the pen was too expensive for them and they bought it using credit.

If the pen purchase is bothering you for more than a couple of days, then I would cancel your order. It is not worth the stress and worry.

The best way to not have buyers remorse is to have the money for the pen. I have found that when I purchased something expensive and did not save properly for it, then buyers remorse kicked in.

If you spent more than you wanted to, then cut out or cut down on something that you spend money on every month. Put the money you save towards the purchase of the pen. In 10 months, you will have a pen that was paid with money that you were going to spend on something else anyway. You are more likely to enjoy the pen much more.

I knew someone who bought an expensive Nakaya and never was comfortable using it. I think the problem was that the pen was too expensive for them and they bought it using credit.

If the pen purchase is bothering you for more than a couple of days, then I would cancel your order. It is not worth the stress and worry.

I hate to disagree, but there is often much more too it than a simple matter of cash versus credit. For many of us, spending more than a couple hundred dollars on a pen we have never seen in the flesh or held, let alone written with, is not a comfortable process. As the price escalates, the discomfort grows.

And if you're not buying the pen purely for luxury value, most of us know that buying the perfect writing instrument via mail order is a huge gamble.

Just my 2 cents.

Tell me I'm not mad

You're not mad.

Thanks! That's all I wanted to hear. (Now if you could just tell me again and again and again for the next eleven months.) :unsure:

Do they have an English web site?

I lived in Japan for 4 years but can't read the language.

I do love Japanese pens and would like to know more about the brand. notworthy1.gif

Their website is www.fp-hakase.com . Unusually, google translate does a pretty decent job.

I can afford it, yet any way you cut it, the price is hefty for a 'mere' fountain pen. It will tie with one other for the dubious honour of being the most expensive pen I own, but crucially, the other pen was a gift so its monetary value was of no concern.

I often have this reaction when spending a lot on something. Anything really. Yet in some cases (though not all), I find that the pleasure remains long after the price paid blurs into historical insignificance....

Edited by mongrelnomad

The best way to not have buyers remorse is to have the money for the pen.

*Ahem*... [low, soft, polite voice] Excuse me, how did you get in? I believe there is another thread, probably in Writing Instruments or Chatter, where your kind of talk might be more appropriate.

Hee. I kid!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Your pen promises to be lovely. Congratulations! They seem to offer a nice variety of materials. Can you share why you chose this particular material over say sandalwood?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Your pen promises to be lovely. Congratulations! They seem to offer a nice variety of materials. Can you share why you chose this particular material over say sandalwood?

I love sandalwood - especially the smell and soft texture. However, the first Hakase pen I saw in photos was this same pen. It had to be my first.

Should the pen turn out to meet the (rather high) expectations, the sandalwood and the tortoise desk-pen will go into the 'maybe next' pile.

You are not mad, I went to Tottori to make the order. I decided to go after I read this post

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/167956-inside-hakase-pen-shop/page__p__1679667__hl__hakase__fromsearch__1#entry1679667

I received the pen in October and it is my best writing pen. I love it.

enjoy the waiting :lol:

Ciao

Andrea

You are not mad, I went to Tottori to make the order. I decided to go after I read this post

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/167956-inside-hakase-pen-shop/page__p__1679667__hl__hakase__fromsearch__1#entry1679667

I received the pen in October and it is my best writing pen. I love it.

enjoy the waiting :lol:

Which pen did you get? Any chance of some photos? (Pretty please with a cherry on top!)

I agree about the prices being expensive for a pen. Most people would think that I'm crazy for buying Nakaya pens. That is why I come here for a place of comfort and encouragement. It helps with the rationalization process. Not everyone can appreciate a beautiful well made pen. My pens bring me a lot of joy. I use them everyday, so the price for the pen is relatively cheap for the enjoyment that I receive from using them.

I was not insinuating that you could not afford the pen. I hope that it did not come across like that.

Ajoe:

I agree with your point about mail order or unseen pens. I have had my eye on the Nakaya Blue Dragon but can not buy sight unseen. The price for the pen is too expensive to buy sight unseen for my comfort level. I did not mind buying a Dorsal Fin sight unseen, but the Blue Dragon is at least $500.00 more dollars.

I would say still that buyers' remorse for many people is from not having the money for a purchase.

I was not insinuating that you could not afford the pen. I hope that it did not come across like that.

Absolutely not. I understood your meaning, and should probably expand on mine - that that the amount paid for the pen, though high, will not be painfully felt by its immediate absence. In my opinion, that was the point which delineated "no way" from "possibly".

Edited by mongrelnomad

@mongrelnomad

You can find the photos here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205802-another-early-delivery-from-hakase/page__p__2123935__hl__%2Bearly+%2Bdelivery__fromsearch__1#entry2123935

but they were made with the mobile so they are not good. Then pen is more beautiful "live".

Ciao

Andrea

@mongrelnomad

You can find the photos here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/205802-another-early-delivery-from-hakase/page__p__2123935__hl__%2Bearly+%2Bdelivery__fromsearch__1#entry2123935

but they were made with the mobile so they are not good. Then pen is more beautiful "live".

Beautiful - enjoy it with good health!

It is not really clear from the photos - are the cap-ends bone, and if so, are they inlaid or glue on?

Edited by mongrelnomad

Congrats! You're not mad!

I want a Hakase so much; the only thing holding me back is that I really want one of the tortoiseshell models, but their website says that they cannot export tortiseshell. My next choice is between either the red ebonite or the cocobolo wood, but I haven't been able to pick one.

This is a very nice pen indeed! The horn makes it feel very sturdy, I am not afraid to use it (as opposed to say, silver that may get a scratch). Ten months wait is not very long! I ordered it on 2 may 2008 and received the pen 1 may 2009. I hope you will enjoy this model as much as I do. Ruud

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/hakase/29018/open-pen.jpg

http://www.rhkoning.com/penpics/hakase/29018/date.jpg