Calling Saddleback Leather Owners!

paperskater

Changed course and ordered a medium DCB Classic Briefcase instead. My reasoning was that I should splurge a little extra for the more expensive item, and it'll be a lot easier to save up for the satchel because it's less expensive.

Now, the tortuous waiting begins for the UPS guy...

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paperskater

• professionaldilettante

• Chiro75

• vinper

The main difference between Saddleback and their competitors is the fact that Saddleback lines all the inside of their leather with pigskin, rather than just using the raw fuzzy inside of the leather. I think that makes a huge difference.

Steve. Just plain ol' Steve.

Changed course and ordered a medium DCB Classic Briefcase instead. My reasoning was that I should splurge a little extra for the more expensive item, and it'll be a lot easier to save up for the satchel because it's less expensive.

Now, the tortuous waiting begins for the UPS guy...

I've been looking at the exact same thing but already have a leather briefcase so not sure I can justify it right now. When you receive it I'd love to know your first impressions.

There is one aspect of Saddleback Leather Company products that has been overlooked--they are highly addictive. It is virtually impossible to buy just one item from this company. I have the large briefcase in tobacco brown, pouches for my ipod and kindle, a wallet, 2 notepad holders, a card case, a moleskine cover, a pouch, and three more items on the way. I already owned multiples of these products from other, highly recognized companies, but nothing even comes close to Saddleback quality. You will never regret buying from them. vinper

I think dark chocolate brown is a better description. Here are my small travel bag and wallet with a piece of Hershey's dark chocolate on top.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/cjapens/64cee42e.jpg

:notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: Brilliant! Ingenious! And tasty too!

—Cindy

“This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.”

—Winston Churchill (attributed)

I got my briefcase today!!

I was worried that the medium would be too big for me, but now it looks like it is just about the right size for my frame if I cinch in the bottom a little bit. The leather is really creaky right now, so I've been stepping on it to help break it in. The dark coffee brown is the perfect colour, just what I was hoping that it would be. It's so distinctive-looking, I hope I don't seem ostentatious when I take it to class on Monday.

Next goal: Medium DCB Satchel!!

Help out a poor college student! ^-^' INK SAMPLE CLEARANCE! - Parker Penman Sapphire samples, Palomino Blackwing, Palomino Blackwing 602, and empty vials available.

I got my briefcase today!!

I was worried that the medium would be too big for me, but now it looks like it is just about the right size for my frame if I cinch in the bottom a little bit. The leather is really creaky right now, so I've been stepping on it to help break it in. The dark coffee brown is the perfect colour, just what I was hoping that it would be. It's so distinctive-looking, I hope I don't seem ostentatious when I take it to class on Monday.

Next goal: Medium DCB Satchel!!

Photos, por favor? I've been eyeing the tobacco briefcase for awhile now. The camel-colored briefcases at Herz Japan (http://www.leatherbag.co.jp/) are also in the running.

Ah, decisions...

Amazon.com sells a Conair folding travel cart for $25 that's perfect for wheeling your briefcase around. The briefcases are so voluminous that you will inevitably overload yours to the point where you can barely lift it. The folding cart, stored in your trunk, can be a lifesaver on these occasions. Hope you remembered to order the Chamberlin's Leather Milk for conditioning your briefcase. Be prepared for lots of comments when you bring your bag to school. vinper

Edited by vinper

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a saddleback owner for several years now. I have a few pieces but my favorite which I use daily is the classic large briefcase. I absolutely love it. It is heavier than most bags of its size but its worth every pound!

Color wise it's really is the color of a darker coffee grind. it's my favorite color. Although tobacco wears nice and chestnut is just beautiful, but not me. Scratches and scuffs go a little lighter whereas the heavier wear spots on the back that rub on your hip or pick up oils from your hands get a slightly glossier darker coffee brown.

I'm neither careful or rough the bag but the true beauty comes out after a couple years. You see the wear build up and it almost becomes a journal of your time of ownership.

Not only will you never need to but another bag you won't ever want to buy one.

I could go on but you get the point. Get it, you won't regret it and you'll be hooked. I still visit the website more than I should to just window shop....

I've been a saddleback owner for several years now. I have a few pieces but my favorite which I use daily is the classic large briefcase. I absolutely love it. It is heavier than most bags of its size but its worth every pound!

Color wise it's really is the color of a darker coffee grind. it's my favorite color. Although tobacco wears nice and chestnut is just beautiful, but not me. Scratches and scuffs go a little lighter whereas the heavier wear spots on the back that rub on your hip or pick up oils from your hands get a slightly glossier darker coffee brown.

I'm neither careful or rough the bag but the true beauty comes out after a couple years. You see the wear build up and it almost becomes a journal of your time of ownership.

Not only will you never need to but another bag you won't ever want to buy one.

I could go on but you get the point. Get it, you won't regret it and you'll be hooked. I still visit the website more than I should to just window shop....

That is so very true about the wear becoming part of its beauty. I babied mine for the first few months, buffing out each scratch I got. However, even after that, the scratches just kept coming, but also disappearing on their own. After about a year, it's gotten very handsome. Just got to condition it every once in a while. What they say about the complements is true!

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I've been lusting after the Saddleback Leather Satchel for quite some time now. I've been slowly, but surely, saving up for it and with my tax return on the horizon, I think I will be able to finally purchase it sometime in the upcoming weeks!

I've got my eye on the medium Satchel in Dark Coffee Brown. I'm about 5'4" and weigh about 120 lbs, and I am a little concerned about the size of the medium. I'm hoping that it would be small enough to use as a messenger-like bag, but large enough so it doesn't look ridiculous when I convert it into a backpack.

I've been reading tons of reviews all over the Internet about Saddleback Leather and these bags for close to a year now. I feel like I'm fairly informed about the pros and cons regarding these bags, but what I'm looking for now is just some more feedback from owners or previous owners of Saddleback Leather bags. I'm on the hunt for the Last Bag I Will Ever Buy, because I'm tired of having other bags fall apart.

Also, can anyone describe to me the colour of the Dark Coffee Brown in their own words? I've seen lots of pictures, but I like it when people describe the colour themselves so I can get a better idea.

I have the messenger bag, and I have a word of advice if you were yo convert it into a backpack. The leather strap will bruise in certain places where it comes into contact with the metal hardware, and if you're not partial to having random bruises as I am, I don't think you'd want to convert it. But, it's yours, and I certainly don't want what is yours. Just a thought, like posting I suppose. I don't care bout posting though.

Blaise Pascal

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I've been lusting after the Saddleback Leather Satchel for quite some time now. I've been slowly, but surely, saving up for it and with my tax return on the horizon, I think I will be able to finally purchase it sometime in the upcoming weeks!

I've got my eye on the medium Satchel in Dark Coffee Brown. I'm about 5'4" and weigh about 120 lbs, and I am a little concerned about the size of the medium. I'm hoping that it would be small enough to use as a messenger-like bag, but large enough so it doesn't look ridiculous when I convert it into a backpack.

I've been reading tons of reviews all over the Internet about Saddleback Leather and these bags for close to a year now. I feel like I'm fairly informed about the pros and cons regarding these bags, but what I'm looking for now is just some more feedback from owners or previous owners of Saddleback Leather bags. I'm on the hunt for the Last Bag I Will Ever Buy, because I'm tired of having other bags fall apart.

Also, can anyone describe to me the colour of the Dark Coffee Brown in their own words? I've seen lots of pictures, but I like it when people describe the colour themselves so I can get a better idea.

I have the messenger bag, and I have a word of advice if you were yo convert it into a backpack. The leather strap will bruise in certain places where it comes into contact with the metal hardware, and if you're not partial to having random bruises as I am, I don't think you'd want to convert it. But, it's yours, and I certainly don't want what is yours. Just a thought, like posting I suppose. I don't care bout posting though.

I wonder if Saddleback would sell the backpack straps separately. The straps actually meant for the backpack. They are better-padded, from the looks of things, and contoured like proper backpack straps. That might be the way to go, for those who worry about bruised leather straps. And for those of us who wouldn't mind making the backpack conversion semi-permanent. :)

Edited by mcnoodle

I wonder if Saddleback would sell the backpack straps separately. The straps actually meant for the backpack. They are better-padded, from the looks of things, and contoured like proper backpack straps. That might be the way to go, for those who worry about bruised leather straps. And for those of us who wouldn't mind making the backpack conversion semi-permanent. :)

From when I've talke to them, it seems that they aren't against selling of "spare" parts, so that might be a real possibility.

Blaise Pascal

I bought my partner a Dark Coffee Brown brief case as a law school graduation gift. It's the color of a bar of dark chocolate- a deep dark 85% bar of dark chocolate or a good Americano.

The bag is heavy, very heavy. It is tough. scuff and scratches buff out easily.

I keep my eye on it, and hope that she abandons it for something else, but it's been a year and so far it looks like I'll be getting my own at some point...

Seriously, have you checked Etsy.com yet?

Check out my blog ComfortableShoesStudio.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paperskater, it's been over a month since you posted that you received your Saddleback briefcase. How's it working out for you? Everyone seems to love these when they first get them but a lot of people later on complain about them being too big or heavy and want something lighter/smaller. I have the medium satchel which is very nice, although I think I should have bought the large one, and was thinking of getting the briefcase (can't decide on classic or thin though) for going to school next year. Basically, I just want your thoughts after using the bag for over a month. Thanks!

I have a Saddleback briefcase in the dark coffee, medium, and LOVE it. Yes, it's a bit heavier than most, but it holds all of my scores (I'm a conductor), my batons, and a laptop quite easily. Granted, I carry it to my car and then to my office, so actual "carry time" is small and doesn't bother me. Were I in a big city or walked a lot, I may not appreciate its heft. However, I get tons of compliments on the bag, and I love its sturdiness and roominess. A friend observed that the bag will look quite differently as it goes through its many lives--from brand new and stiff through well-used, soft, and full of character--and I look forward to that. I will be buying other Saddleback products in the future I'm so happy with the product and the company.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

--Groucho Marx

I'd also love to know how the OP is going with her bag.

I'm a 5"5 medium build girl who is interested in the small or medium satchel. To test whether the weight would be an issue for me, I've been carrying around a 500g metal bar in the bottom of my current bag. The SB is actually about 700g heavier than the bag I'm using now, so maybe I should add another 500 metal bar so I can get into condition and SB will seem light to me when I finally get one!

Tell me though, are there ANY other bags out there with more features that are of comparable quality to Saddleback? I'm ok with the leather being thinner. What I'd like to see is a few more pockets, and definitely to have flaps over the outside pockets to stop things falling out. Some bags have internal pen loops, but I actually think I wouldn't use those. I like to have my pens safe in a separate carry system.

Edited by Ophelia D

Wow. These bags are amazing! He has some awesome stuff there - like that vintage looking suitcase.

On a quest to find the best black ink there is {on hold until i come up with good criteria}. Test subjects:

Caran d'Ache Carbon; J. Herbin Perle Noire; De Atramentis Black Edition - Black; Lamy Black; Montegrappa Black; Parker Quink Permanent Black; Pelikan Brilliant Black 4001; Sailor Kiwa-Guro Pigmented Nano Black.Not final list, PM me with further worthy test subjects

I will write up a review as soon as I am able. I've been taken down by a rather severe kidney infection, and I think it's going to take me a while to get back in the game (not to mention catch up with all the schoolwork I've missed. Gah!)