Differences Waterman Kultur And Phileas

hverm

What are the differences between Waterman Kultur and Waterman Phileas?

For example; is writing with a Phileas smoother? etc.

The real differences...

Edited by hverm

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• SardineTin

• esterbex

• 1point1mm

I doubt there is very much in mechanical terms (spring etc) as both models have gold plated, steel, nibs.

Plus you can't really compare like for like because no 2 nibs, of the same size, are identical. Which can be said for most models.

Kultur is bottom pen, others Phil's.

fpn_1327751792__dscn0306.jpg

Edited by Force

I have a Phileas XF, and a Kultur F.

I find :

- the kultur dryer than the Phileas

- the XF Phileas thicker than the F Kultur (!!)

- the Phileas smoother than the Kultur.

This is a strong point of the Phileas : it's smoooooth !!

Waterman Man 100, Pelikan M605, Montblanc 146 & 149, Parker Duofolds and 51s, Sheaffer Triumph and Intrigue, Lamy Safari, Pilot 78G and Pluminix...

PR Electric DC Blue, Herbin 1670 inks, Waterman Havana and purple, Montblanc Petrol Blue ...

Without owning a Waterman Kultur, (I'm assuming here) are the nibs interchangeable with the Phileas? The Waterman Kultur Demonstrator looks interesting enough for a $24 FP, but from the online sites I see the nibs are silver in color and not colored in gold which is what I prefer.

Reason for Edit: I noticed I can't spell. . .

Edited by 1point1mm

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

Well, being new here, I've just learned something. For one who knows so little, that's no big thing believe me!

One of my favourite pens is the Phileas. I bought it not long after they became available in Australia. I don't think I ever saw the Kultur on sale here. I like the weight, finish and smoothness of the Phileas FP. I have a matching ballpoint as well, which I haven't used for more than a few words. Apart from not liking bp's anyway - I can't write legibly with them - the Phileas bp is just really uncomfortable in my hand. Still, it's part of a set.

I have both pens, and the Phileas(M nib) does feel more substantial as already posted. But as to smoothness, I'm biased in favour of my Kulturs because I bought them already ground into cursive italics by Pendleton Brown....They are way sweeter than the Phileas. But the Phileas is still a good pen, I just like the CI grind....cloud9.gif

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I have. . .the. . .cursive italics by Pendleton Brown. . .I just like the CI grind. . . .

Would it be possible to see a writing sample of it? I'm a tad bit "partial" to CI nibs.

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)

While my collection is nothing special, my Phileas is my favorite writing pen out of my entire collection. That includes 11 mont blancs, 4-5 sheaffers, 4-5 parkers, and about 20 others.

I have. . .the. . .cursive italics by Pendleton Brown. . .I just like the CI grind. . . .

Would it be possible to see a writing sample of it? I'm a tad bit "partial" to CI nibs.

Since they have purged the previous pics of my pen since the new format took over, here is a link to one of Pendleton's (pb2) posts. Pendleton Point

It shows a VP, but my Kulturs put down exactly the same line....and are buttery! I have 4 pens with this grind.

I've ordered a second VP nib unit in broad for him to "butterize". I just love the feel and the line variation.cloud9.gif

ETA: 8 Bexleys are already enroute....bunny01.gif

Edited by esterbex

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

For those who might consider buying a Kultur: I have mostly seen the demonstrators. But virtually identical to the Kultur are three Waterman Harley Davidson pens, usually for under $20. (same as Kultur, as far as I know, except for the external color).

I have bought all of these, for myself or as gifts, and find them just as wonderful as my Phileases, except that of course the nib on the Harley is not as fancy-looking (no gold plated trim) and the barrel, without the weight that the Phileas has, feels very light-weight. But I really love these Harley pens. One is called the Free Wheel Flags:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterman-Harley-Davidson-Free-Wheel-Flags-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-37204-/370564606418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56475f29d2

One is called Racing or Checkered Flag, or something like that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterman-Harley-Davidson-Racing-Fountain-Pen-NEW-37203-/310375390439?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4843d09ce7

And one is called Flames. I have this one and use it a lot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterman-Harley-Davidson-Free-Wheel-Flames-Fountain-Pen-/370473173386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5641ec018a

YMMV, but I have bought from both of these sellers (pens n more and also from krm84) with no problem.

For those who might consider buying a Kultur: I have mostly seen the demonstrators. But virtually identical to the Kultur are three Waterman Harley Davidson pens, usually for under $20. (same as Kultur, as far as I know, except for the external color).

The Lara Croft, Tomb Raider can be added to the list.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lara-Croft-Tomb-Raider-Waterman-Paris-Collectable-/190639060538?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_WritingEquipment_SM&hash=item2c62f9363a

Edited by Force

Be aware Waterman also produced another series of Harley Davidson pens.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I doubt there is very much in mechanical terms (spring etc) as both models have gold plated, steel, nibs.

Plus you can't really compare like for like because no 2 nibs, of the same size, are identical. Which can be said for most models.

Kultur is bottom pen, others Phil's.

fpn_1327751792__dscn0306.jpg

I had a pen just like the burquoise bottom one - I thought it was a Phileas. It felt just like my other Phileas pens and also had the gold two-tone nib. I really liked it and it has unfortunately been lost (I still hope it will "turn up" one day in the bottom of an inside jacket pocket or something...)

I find this particular colour/model incredibly difficult to find on the Intenet, so I have been unable to replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I had a pen just like the burquoise bottom one - I thought it was a Phileas. It felt just like my other Phileas pens and also had the gold two-tone nib. I really liked it and it has unfortunately been lost (I still hope it will "turn up" one day in the bottom of an inside jacket pocket or something...)

I find this particular colour/model incredibly difficult to find on the Intenet, so I have been unable to replace it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The later production Phileas was available in that Turquoise Green also Midnight BLue, Ruby Red, Black, Blue/Green/Red Marbles.

I suspect, but only guess, it was a Phileas you had...if you can remember if it had the cigar band and double ring cap.

fpn_1329030891__dscn0770.jpg

Yes it had all that. Having three four other "definite" Phileas pens (black/blue marble/red marble/green marble) this was identical in design, gold trim, weight, nib design. That was why I queried the post that meant I wondered that my one might have been a Kultur.

I do like these plain colour Phileas pens and would love to try and obtain them - but they just don't seem to be about.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...