What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Jinhao Century Mark I today, altho' there won't be much writing accomplished (other than a grocery list) - I'm gathering ingredients, tools, bowls, pots, pans, for the family feast. Makes me wonder...what pen would a whirling dervish prefer ?

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's pen is the trusty Kaigelu 356 Sonnet Clone. Such a nice pen for so little money.

Regards,

Richard

:thumbup:

It's a Kaigelu 356 day for me today too :rolleyes:

A little smaller than I would normally like, but writes a nice line...probably bettter than a Sonnet from what I have read... :unsure: Also, still using the Beijing Jinxing...

I was so impressed with the Kaigelu 356s I have purchased that I ordered a stainless steel Baoer 388 to check it out. I felt the need to purchase a flighter with some nice gold trim, so we will see if it comparable to the Kaigelu.

I was so impressed with the Kaigelu 356s I have purchased that I ordered a stainless steel Baoer 388 to check it out. I felt the need to purchase a flighter with some nice gold trim, so we will see if it comparable to the Kaigelu.

Be careful with the gold trimming it wears out easily. I had the habit to spin around my Baoer 388 flighter version with gold trimming around the base of the cap and it rubbed off. I did a little bit of sanding and now the ex-gold ring is a bronze color.

Not bad at all. I think that I prefer this colour from the original.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

Jinrong 296A

hi. how do you like your jinrong? i have one and had to do a lot of tweaking to get it to write properly.

Jinrong 296A

hi. how do you like your jinrong? i have one and had to do a lot of tweaking to get it to write properly.

I got 2, 1 wrote and 1 didn't!!

After brass shimming the nib slit, flushing, smoothing etc it was OK.

great, you got it working! :thumbup:

Baoer 79 today.....just needed a pen to make a few notes.....and it was on 'top of the pile'.....after I shoved the BP's out of the way....... :thumbup:

The more I use it the darker the Diamine Imperial Purple (cart) seems to get....it's more 'manly' now....but I think I preferred it more 'girly'....it seems to have turned into Diamine Damson while I wasn't looking..... :headsmack:

My trusty Jinhao x450 with an EF Knox nib, filled with Stipula Musk Green. Lovely combination!

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Jinhao 159, just because it's been sitting in a desk drawer, gathering dust. And I don't even like holding this thing ! Got about 4 lines of script, per page, in a journal, because of that fat nib.

There are Jinaho's I really like, but this ain't one.

Take care,

J.R.

Got a jinhao x750 couple day ago but it skip and dry out often. I like the size and weight of the pen and it's quite nice in flat black.

Tried combination of removing breather tube, removing spring, moving the feed, deep cleaning of everything and it still skip and dry out. At least now it's more juicy than it was.

The nib is scratchy (left or right not down or up) too.

The worst part of these pen is the stupidly small converter in a quite large size pen but it seems to be common practice of many manufacturer not just chinese.

I have another x750 coming from xfountainpen with a set of nibs, will try to build one good x750 out of two.

I've found that in general, when I buy Chinese pens (Lanbitou, Baor, Hero, Jinhao) they routinely have skipping and drying issues until I have given the feeds and nibs a GOOD cleaning. I tend to use my ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with Dawn or a few drops of Simple Green for fastest results, and then flush them with water repeatedly, and finally do a couple of runs in just plain water in the ultrasonic. That usually seems to do the trick.

The first Hero I bought I was ready to toss into the garbage until I gave it one last try and did a massive clean before changing ink colors (the plan was a different color would help me judge feed flow) but the severe cleaning (I think I used straight ammonia, with the idea that if I was likely going to toss it anyway, I didn't have much to lose in trying) seemed to do the trick, and the pen has worked like a charm ever since, and with multiple inks.

It's almost like they all have some weird oily/sticky residue up in the nibs and feeds, and until one gets rid of it ALL, they don't seem to write well.

I'm using a basic Wing Sung pen… it just works.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/7088/p1030235c.jpg

http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/16/k6ic.png

At the minute Baoer 79 ....as I needed a pen for a quick note in my diary....and it was rolling around in the drawer...

Although later it will probably be the Kaigelu 323 .....

The cap on my Jinhao 159 no longer stays on securely (that didn't take long, just several months :( ), so I just semi-retired that pen and switched to my Haolilai 601F for exclusive use with ESSRI.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.