What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Currently using all four (no, not at once) of my new arrivals. A Yongsheng 016 with J. Herbin Hematite Rouge in it, a Crocodile 215 with Iroshizuku fuyu-gaki in it, a Jinhao 163 inked with Iroshizuku chiku-rin, and a Jinhao 3000 inked with Noodler's Rome Burning. Not using the 3000 much as it makes more of a personal defense weapon or paperweight than a pen :roflmho: but I love Rome Burning, it's a nice, medium brown with a slight purple tone.

<em class='bbc'>I started nowhere, ended up back there. I caught a fever and it burned up my blood. It was a pity, I left the city; I did me some travelin' but it's done me no good.</em> - Buffalo Clover "The Ruse"

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kaigelu 356.

Aside from the Pilot 78G, the best pen I have for under $15.

Well, the Singularity at $14.99 has been pleasing me VERY much also!

Got so fed up with my Huashilai skipping that I tried to shake more ink into the nib and .. Thud. Oops. I'd hit it point first unto the desk. The nib has slid into the section to the level where the feed touched the desk. Now I can't use it until I've fished the nib out. This has led to a massive improvement in my satisfaction with it.

Regards,

Richard.

I'd really like to hear how you manage to fish the nib out. Is this a hooded nib Huashilai? (Don't really know the model...)

It'll have to be a pair of pliars or a vice. I can't grip the nib hard enough by hand.

The pen is here: http://huashilai.en.alibaba.com/product/544271708-213273314/Fountain_Pen.html , and as you can see it's an open nib pen. Just not very good.

Regards,

Richard.

Currently using all four (no, not at once) of my new arrivals. A Yongsheng 016 with J. Herbin Hematite Rouge in it, a Crocodile 215 with Iroshizuku fuyu-gaki in it, a Jinhao 163 inked with Iroshizuku chiku-rin, and a Jinhao 3000 inked with Noodler's Rome Burning. Not using the 3000 much as it makes more of a personal defense weapon or paperweight than a pen :roflmho: but I love Rome Burning, it's a nice, medium brown with a slight purple tone.

I've been considering a J3000 for a while. Could you do a review of it? Seen you've done one, thanks.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy
Saw review

How long does it take you to use half a bottle?

I have some 30ml bottles, and can't seem to make a dent in them.

Four years so far..

Regards,

Richard.

Well thats ok then. I am only 6 months in!

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Thanks for the explanation Richard. I asked because I had something slightly similar happen to me with my no-name P51 lookalike, where I was trying to get the last bit of ink from the reservoir into the collector and the suction sucked the nib into the hood! And nothing would budge. I ended up soaking the whole thing and got it disassembled, used hot water too at some point, and was able to push the nib & feed assembly out... You think heat would help in your case? And then pushing from the other end of the section?

Good luck, and I hope your pen survives...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

51SH, I'm already using the Diamine Emerald !! I bought it, when I bought the Saddle Brown. I kinda favor the Ruby, too. This Christmas card business is really depleting the supply of greens and reds, around my hacienda. These little Wing Sung's are pretty darn decent (for a $2 pen). I may hafta get a few more, if Todd hasn't sold out.

Later, but not much

J.R.

I can recommend the Diamine Sherwood Green....to go with your Chocolate Brown... :roflmho: :roflmho:

I also have my eye on Green/Black for my next order....you've got me looking at those Wing Sung 233's now....and I like the look of the Wing Sung 322 as well....I couldn't find the brown one....but they also do a nice mottled green.

:hmm1:

51SH, I'm already using the Diamine Emerald !! I bought it, when I bought the Saddle Brown. I kinda favor the Ruby, too. This Christmas card business is really depleting the supply of greens and reds, around my hacienda. These little Wing Sung's are pretty darn decent (for a $2 pen). I may hafta get a few more, if Todd hasn't sold out.

Later, but not much

J.R.

I can recommend the Diamine Sherwood Green....to go with your Chocolate Brown... :roflmho: :roflmho:

I find Sherwood Green quite dark. I prefer J Herbin Lierre Sauvage.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I got a couple of Chinese pens today.

A Jinhao X450 and a Jinhao X750.

Both nice pens, both medium, although the X750 writes a lot broader than I thoguht it would.

The X450 nib is very nice. The line variation is amazing. Is that normal for that pen? It goes from medium to easily BB maybe more, and loaded with Diamine Oxblood as it is, it is superb.

The X750 has Diamine Burnt Sienna

None.

Silver S T Dupont Fidelio M nib Shaeffer Skrip Blue :cloud9:

huh? :hmm1: i've never heard of this chinese brand. is it new?

Indeed. Quite right and just proves I needed an opthomologist's appointment today. :gaah:

hehehe! that happens when you post all over these "what are u using today" threads!!

take care!

Later, but not much

J.R.

I also have my eye on Green/Black for my next order....you've got me looking at those Wing Sung 233's now....and I like the look of the Wing Sung 322 as well....I couldn't find the brown one....but they also do a nice mottled green.

51SH, I find the W.S. 233's a pretty good, knock-around pen (especially at the price). The nib is like writing with a very sharp nail, albeit a decent nail. Those 322's are VERY slender (no bigger than the average thow-away Bic ballpoints.) I have slender hands, and it was too skinny, even for me. And, the nibs on the 322's were pretty scratchy - but that could easily have just been my particular pens. And, both models are pretty stingy with your ink - they seem to write a looong time, between filling.

Secure snap-on caps on both pens, too.

These are all NOS pens, Todd bought the entire inventory, so when he sells out, they're gone. The bottom line, I guess: if you decide you don't like 'em, you've only invested the price of a cheeseburger, so you won't grieve.

Take care,

J.R.

Chinese pen today --

Only have one. I opened up my Baoer 801 today after not using it for a few weeks (been doing tons of grading with Skrip Red and Diamine Poppy Red, so have been using my no-name German A&W), and was delighted that it started instantly. I love that pen... gotta see what other colors it comes in.

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

I had to "Borrow" my Jinhao Century, back from my daughter today. She let me know, in no uncertain terms, that she was "Loaning" it to me ! (And it's MY pen)sigh...

Oh...and she told me to be sure to fill it up, before I bring it back. Some days I feel like Rodney Dangerfield, around here.

Take care,

J.R.

I've been thinking about ordering a Jinhao 149 and replacing the nib. One possibility would be to go with an x530 from xfountainpens and get the Knox nib, but my preference would be to avoid anything gilded, and I liked the nibs on my TWSBIs, so I've been considering a Bock 250 from Indy Pen Dance.

Which brings me to the question I hope that you all may be able to help with: Indy Pen Dance also carries the feeds and housings that match the nibs. Would it be difficult to replace both the nib and the feed? If not I'll replace them both, and probably put in a new converter as well.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've been thinking about ordering a Jinhao 149 and replacing the nib. One possibility would be to go with an x530 from xfountainpens and get the Knox nib, but my preference would be to avoid anything gilded, and I liked the nibs on my TWSBIs, so I've been considering a Bock 250 from Indy Pen Dance.

Which brings me to the question I hope that you all may be able to help with: Indy Pen Dance also carries the feeds and housings that match the nibs. Would it be difficult to replace both the nib and the feed? If not I'll replace them both, and probably put in a new converter as well.

How much is a new nib?

I love some Jinhao, but would prefer something finer than a medium

I lost my Wing Sung 223 a few weeks ago and with Christmas coming up I haven't been able to bring myself to replace it.

So instead I have a 322 that I ground down to a stub (there was some sort of problem with the nib, and I wanted to see if I could). I like it slightly more than I did before, but there was a reason I didn't keep it inked until I lost my usual day-to-day pens that fateful morning outside a Panera Bread...

(Luckily, as of two weeks ago I had everything bought and paid for, so I finally have a new Jinhao 149 and Hero... 330, I guess? arriving some time this week.)

Edited by Linsolv

How much is a new nib?

The Knox is about $7, the Bock is about $11. The Bock is medium only (which works for me), but the Knox is available in a range of sizes.

Edit: I don't think there an option to get the feed with the Knox. There's an extra charge for the feed with the Bock.

Edited by Ubungs

How much is a new nib?

The Knox is about $7, the Bock is about $11. The Bock is medium only (which works for me), but the Knox is available in a range of sizes.

Edit: I don't think there an option to get the feed with the Knox. There's an extra charge for the feed with the Bock.

Hmm, The pen itself only cost me about that. I suppose its just then whether its worth it.