What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

I love this pen Helen.

I took it on holiday with me and used it to fill out the visitors book in the cottage we rented.

I love the weight and balance of it, as well as the looks.

We appear to have very similar tastes Helen. :)

Ian

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My pens in the office (left to right):

1) WingSung 234

2) Jinhao 321

3) Yiren 856

4) Baoer 100

I especially like Nr.1 and Nr.4.

And for those interested, Nr.4 is on sale at the moment @Ebay

I wish this pen also came with my other favourite colours red and blue.

Can anybody tell me which brand named pen Nr.4 resembles - I have an image in the head that I saw this silver-black design with an expensive pen.

Nr.3: I will change the nib (if possible) for another one (F or EF) and then, this pen is extraordinarily good too.

Nr.2: The usual good quality of Jinhao.

post-135191-0-83516900-1501374834_thumb.jpg

Edited by mke

@Ian the Jock

You should promote "walking/hiking in the rain". Did this at the Pennine Way and in Donegal. Which comes close to your location, I guess.

@Ian the Jock

You should promote "walking/hiking in the rain". Did this at the Pennine Way and in Donegal. Which comes close to your location, I guess.

Hahaha. That's not rain.

We went across the Pennines a few weeks ago, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky even though it was horsin it down when we left home.

Donegal can be quite damp, but the Irish aren't quite as blue coloured as we are.

Ian

Hahaha. That's not rain.

We went across the Pennines a few weeks ago, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky even though it was horsin it down when we left home.

Donegal can be quite damp, but the Irish aren't quite as blue coloured as we are.

Ian

That's because rain down here fear the Scotsman. It has heard tales of downing ungodly drams of Whisky in one go and wearing kilts in subzero temperatures typically found north of The Border to which they are accustomed, and has thus decided that it would not dare rain on a Scotsman.

That's because rain down here fear the Scotsman. It has heard tales of downing ungodly drams of Whisky in one go and wearing kilts in subzero temperatures typically found north of The Border to which they are accustomed, and has thus decided that it would not dare rain on a Scotsman.

There's defo truth in that.

We spent a week in Yorkshire and the weather was tropical (well to us anyway).

The locals were kitted out in jumpers and jackets, and we were in shorts and tee shirts :D

You should see what it's like, typically. Oh boy, wetter than an otter's pocket. The countryside is quite beautiful over there, even more so in pleasant weather.

Edited by Bluey

you guys are talking wet and damp , now talk to us who live in the real tropic and sub-tropics ... Ha Ha Ha

I inked up a couple of Hero 266 pens today. The jury is out.

I bought a 10 pack for $13.99 delivered on e-Bay; quick delivery but very minimal packing.

The biggest problem with the pens so far is getting a very sticky white 1.25" label off of the barrel.

Water to loosen the paper and denatured alcohol to remove the glue residue from the metal barrel.

These are thin, aerometric filling pens with hooded nibs reminiscent of the Parker 45. The filling units are what you might expect on a $1.39 pen, not as robust as the Parker 51 units by a considerable margin. But they did fill.

The fine nibs are decent and more time will tell as to performance.

Overall, the "fighter" style is attractive and the thin girth allows for carrying in a small pen loop or folded in a notebook.

I bought the pens with a "why not?" attitude and so far am not disappointed. These will hopefully be good give away pens or one to carry in situations when I don't mind damaging or losing a pen.

Bottom line: Not a high quality pen, but both wrote well from the start. For $1.39/pen, that's a win in my book.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I was told by the sales guy to be dressed up for a business meeting today ; OK ; so out come my conservative looking and understated Wing Sung 9906 ( modded with a 840 barrel )

35495660494_24c79b682f_h.jpgWing Sung 9906 upgraded with a 840 barrel by Mech for i, on Flickr

36194893991_5230b03f1e_h.jpgWing Sung 9906 mod. by Mech for i, on Flickr

Very nice indeed, and businesslike.

What was it like before you Modded it?

Ian

Very nice indeed, and businesslike.

What was it like before you Modded it?

Ian

36345859395_62826030ed_h.jpgWing Sung 9906 by Mech for i, on Flickr

This is it with its original barrel, mind that this had been cleaned and waxed by me already. Its actually one of those oh so 1990's sandblasted / satin spray on vinyl paint finishing, in true matte black green and very matt it is ; the color is so dark it only look even a faint hint of green under very good daylight, and it feel vinyl industrial kind like vinyl used on handles of industrial tools. This take me like at least a wehole weekend of polishing and waxing before I can show it as such.Some of these 9906 did come with the dual tone finish nib but I think the all chromw just look way better. The lacquered 840 barrel certainly lighten the mood

Edited by Mech-for-i

36345859395_62826030ed_h.jpgWing Sung 9906 by Mech for i, on Flickr

This is it with its original barrel, mind that this had been cleaned and waxed by me already. Its actually one of those oh so 1990's sandblasted / satin spray on vinyl paint finishing, in true matte black green and very matt it is ; the color is so dark it only look even a faint hint of green under very good daylight, and it feel vinyl industrial kind like vinyl used on handles of industrial tools. This take me like at least a wehole weekend of polishing and waxing before I can show it as such.Some of these 9906 did come with the dual tone finish nib but I think the all chromw just look way better. The lacquered 840 barrel certainly lighten the mood

You have played a blinder there Mech for i, it looks so much better now.

A cracking looking pen.

Ian

My $.99 Jinhao X450. Nib needs a bit of `12000 micromesh, however, for $.99 I am not complaining at all!

Just this week began using a Wing Sung 698, which is a new arrival. Paid $20(AUD) delivered to Australia, would say it is the best twenty bucks I have spent on a pen in a long long time.

Fine nib, writes like an absolute dream, who can ask for more? I enjoy it so much I ordered another yesterday, this time white cap and accents with extra fine nib.

The original 698 was bought after a disastrous run with a Twsbi Eco. Twenty dollar 698 versus fifty dollar(AUD) Eco, eat your heart out Twsbi the Wing Sung leaves you in its dust!

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Just this week began using a Wing Sung 698, which is a new arrival. Paid $20(AUD) delivered to Australia, would say it is the best twenty bucks I have spent on a pen in a long long time.

Fine nib, writes like an absolute dream, who can ask for more? I enjoy it so much I ordered another yesterday, this time white cap and accents with extra fine nib.

The original 698 was bought after a disastrous run with a Twsbi Eco. Twenty dollar 698 versus fifty dollar(AUD) Eco, eat your heart out Twsbi the Wing Sung leaves you in its dust!

Greg

I agree wih you about the Wing Sung 698. I paid $16+ for my first 698, and about $18 for my 2nd one with a soft fine .5 nib. It is well worth the investment. On the 698 demo. I did exchange the nib for a Pilot Plumix M. italic (tend to prefer broad & stub nibs), and my TWSBI Eco has not seen the light of day since my 698 purchases. It is going to be interesting to see how they hold up for the long haul.

Today I am using:

Kaigelu 316 M nib with Octupus Karamell

Baoer 388 M nib with PE Garnet

Wing Sung 322 F nib PR Avacado

Jinhao x750 F nib with Diamine Blue Black

Today I am using:

Kaigelu 316 M nib with Octupus Karamell

Baoer 388 M nib with PE Garnet

Wing Sung 322 F nib PR Avacado

Jinhao x750 F nib with Diamine Blue Black

That's a nice wee selection of combos.

How are you finding the Mighty Roo?

Ian

I agree wih you about the Wing Sung 698. I paid $16+ for my first 698, and about $18 for my 2nd one with a soft fine .5 nib. It is well worth the investment. On the 698 demo. I did exchange the nib for a Pilot Plumix M. italic (tend to prefer broad & stub nibs), and my TWSBI Eco has not seen the light of day since my 698 purchases. It is going to be interesting to see how they hold up for the long haul.

I agree Helen, life expectancy for a twenty dollar pen could be less than you would want. For me however, my 698 will not leave my desk so I assume this may extend its life somewhat.

I personally am happy if the pen does eventually go to pen heaven as I will still have an excellent nib to use elsewhere.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures