What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Yes, I was speaking of the Jinhao 992. I spent approximately $6.86 for the 4 pens, so I'm using the nibs in other pens. By doing this, I'm not throwing money away. Purchasing another #5 nib to replace any nib I am not currently satisfied with, will cost me more than $6.86 for one new #5 nib. The nib on the 992 is a pretty smooth nib, considering the cost of the pen.

I hope that at least jinhao 992 solid pens are any better .

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just can't help myself buying these pens. The rot all started with three Hero 616. Given their price they seem almost disposable. They are sold in wallets of ten at around 2.49 UK pounds each.

They also seem to have very fine nibs. If you are going to use iron-gall ink who cares if something like the Hero or the Jinhao 992 are used until they clog? It has been my finding that the ink makes precipitates over time inside the pen. I am not a big fan of conventional black, but oxidised iron-gall ink is absolutely jet black and does not fade, wheras 'black' seems to be a mixture of dyes.

I used to have a pink/black fountain pen from W.H. Smith's, which I am sure was of Chinese origin.

It was several years old and was a 'pure' fountain pen, not a cartridge type with a converter.

The material of the barrel did turn brittle & the threads disintegrated so the cap would hardly stay on. The Jinhao 992 reminds me of it.

Hello,

inked up my LingMo Lorelei for a little review today:

Thank you for watching

MontPelikan

I'm having an all-Chinese, all-demonstrator day. Jinhao 992, Lecai transparent eyedropper, Wing Sung 698.

fpn_1500481835__img_20170719_091505.jpg

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

My Caliarts Ego 2 ( solid color , pilot batch ) arrived the evening before and after cleaning it and letting it dried overnight, I have this inked for today

35849733942_666ccc6722_h.jpgCaliarts Ego-2 Pilot Batch ( Solid Colors ) by Mech for i, on Flickr

it was a tiny bit translucent and when placed against strong light I can see the shadow of the piston running up and down when turning the knob, come with the normal F nib & clear feed but also with an extra set of black feed & EF nib.

Jinhao silver 601. I have a blue one and love it. Just received the silver. Rather surprised to find that a long international cartridge fits just fine. I own a gaggle of Chinese pens and have found that the 601 is the smoothest writer of the bunch.

attachicon.gifDSC00038.JPG

I am using a Jinhao 888 Dragon Decent in copper because it is the start of the Dragon Lunar Year and my Duke 209 Frosted Black (Matt Black) Gold Trim.

I feel that the Jinhao 888 needs some tweaking as it a hard start and often skips (Maybe a more complete flush is needed)

But the Duke 209 is a dream to use.

When someone says that their pen is hard to start I always say Flush using a small drop of Amonia in the first flushing followed by a good clean water flush with the tiniest drop of dishwashing liquid, that usually works for all of my Chinese pens which write like Mont Blancs. Trust Me. oneill

Hello,

inked up my Yiren 358 today. Yiren violet cartridge.

Thank you for watching

MontPelikan

Picasso 915 - M. Nib (smooooth :wub: ). Iroshizuku Kon-Peki. Unique nib

That surely is a beautiful pen. Look what the Chinese can do for less money....... :)

It is indeed a stunning pen.

Looks, build quality, everything.

And Helen shows it off sooo well.

Ian

Trying out a couple of new ones while I've got 5 minutes.

Jinhao Pearl Dragon

Inked with L'artisan Pastellier Callifolio Inca Sol

And A Gunmetal and Rose gold Hero 9315

Inked with l'artisan Pastellier callifolio Ultramarine.

I'm liking both..... Surprisingly. :)

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

1) Jin Hao , X750 , M - Nib ;

2) Jin Hao , X450 , M - Nib ;

3) Jin Hao , 136 , M - Nib ;

4) Jin Hao , 886 , F - Nib ;

5) Jin Hao , 992 , M - Nib .

post-134601-0-86042200-1500820095_thumb.jpg

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

That surely is a beautiful pen. Look what the Chinese can do for less money....... :)

It is not only a beautiful looking pen, but a smooth writer for a 'steel nib. As Ian the Jock knows, those who look down on pens from China, are often missing some real gems. My recent purchase of the Platinum 3776 with a broad gold nib was not what I expected. I was expecting a "butter-like experience,' and what I got was feedback--requiring 12000 micromesh. I am thankful that there are some nice (less costly) pens out there which will provide us with a nice writing experience. :wub:

It is not only a beautiful looking pen, but a smooth writer for a 'steel nib. As Ian the Jock knows, those who look down on pens from China, are often missing some real gems. My recent purchase of the Platinum 3776 with a broad gold nib was not what I expected. I was expecting a "butter-like experience,' and what I got was feedback--requiring 12000 micromesh. I am thankful that there are some nice (less costly) pens out there which will provide us with a nice writing experience. :wub:

Platinum pens generally rarely give a butter-like experience, even on the broad which i found to be wet and smooth but still with feedback that lets you know the paper is there.

I think the C(aka double broad) nib from Platinum may have been a better bet for you, Helen.

Japanese nibs are not overly polished in the same way that Western(especially German) and Jinhaos are. My experience of Platinum is that they're the most toothy of all the Japanese brands.

With Chinese pens, I don't buy Jinhaos any more for this reason, and much prefer the rawer and less Westernised Heros.

Even on the broadest Japanese pen that I've tried (ie zoom) it still has feedback which lets you know it hasn't been polished.

In my opinion, this is how nibs should be. Too smooth and they can end up with issues such as babys bottom, generally being temperamental, and skipping on the lower half of the page due to hand oils. As a customer, I would rather have the option of whether I want my nibs smooth, and how smooth i would like them to be. For this, 12,000 micromesh gives me my choice.

Edited by Bluey

Platinum pens generally rarely give a butter-like experience, even on the broad which i found to be wet and smooth but still with feedback that lets you know the paper is there.

I think the C(aka double broad) nib from Platinum may have been a better bet for you, Helen.

Japanese nibs are not overly polished in the same way that Western(especially German) and Jinhaos are. My experience of Platinum is that they're the most toothy of all the Japanese brands.

With Chinese pens, I don't buy Jinhaos any more for this reason, and much prefer the rawer and less Westernised Heros.

Even on the broadest Japanese pen that I've tried (ie zoom) it still has feedback which lets you know it hasn't been polished.

In my opinion, this is how nibs should be. Too smooth and they can end up with issues such as babys bottom, generally being temperamental, and skipping on the lower half of the page due to hand oils. As a customer, I would rather have the option of whether I want my nibs smooth, and how smooth i would like them to be. For this, 12,000 micromesh gives me my choice.

Thanks for your insights on the Platinum.

BLUEY

Personally, I've found that as you move away from the cheapie Heros, and into the "higher end" (if $7-8+ can be called high end), The Hero nibs are very, very smooth.

The pricier Heros I have all have glidingly smooth nibs, and I find them wonderful to write with.

I have one (572) that is super smooth and even has a bit of flex to it.

Agreed, the Jinhaos are generally all very smooth, but I've found the "dearer" Heros to be even more so.

I must admit to being a lover of smooooooothness. :lol:

Ian