What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

I started the day with partly filled Kaigelu 316 and a Jinhao 450 and I emptied both during the day. And when I got home a Jinhao 500 was in the mailbox. It wasn't supposed to come for at least 10 days at the earliest. It was a pleasant surprise

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have an array of Lamy clones and several other Chinese pens. The latest is a Hero 359 in red, which I immediately inked with one of their own blue/black cartridges. I like dark blue - blue/black ink. My other active Lamy clone is a transparent Jinhao 599 inked with one of their own blue cartridges. I have other Chinese pens I use in turn.

One of my cheapies I will reserve to use with Diamine Registrar's Ink, which I understand is an iron-gall formulation.

Hello,

just inked up two Jinhao 991 for a little review.

Thank you for watching,

MontPelikan

Today I inked up my Baoer 516 in fire-truck red with Pelikan 4001 brilliant red

Thank you for watching

MontPelikan

Kaigelu 316 aka The Mighty Roo, J. Herbin Terre de Feu

Practice, patience, perseverance

Haha you just can't stay away from the Mighty Roo for any length of time Eli, can you. :D

Ian

Haha you just can't stay away from the Mighty Roo for any length of time Eli, can you. :D

Ian

How can I? Probably my most used pen.

Received a Lingmo Lorelei today, inked it with Sailor Souten. So far so good. A lot of pen for the price (unfortunately, can't say the same about Jinhao 992 which is a way cheaper and a waaaay flimsier).

Edited by eliweisz

Practice, patience, perseverance

How can I? Probably my most used pen.

Received a Lingmo Lorelei today, inked it with Sailor Souten. So far so good. A lot of pen for the price (unfortunately, can't say the same about Jinhao 992 which is a way cheaper and a waaaay flimsier).

Yeah, Helen sang the praises of the Lorelei, but I've not indulged yet.

Never really fancied the 992.

Ian

Yeah, Helen sang the praises of the Lorelei, but I've not indulged yet.

Never really fancied the 992.

Ian

Spare yourself the 992, unless you purchase it to use as a replacement #5 nib for another pen. The nib on the 992 is a decent nib; cheaper than purchasing a Knox #5 medium nib. Ian, is it possible to have them all?

:) Almost forgot, there is another Picasso on the way!!!!

Yes, noticed that the Avignon was on its way.

I'll need to wait until I get home from my holiday before getting one.

I'm still in raptures with the big yiren, it's really rather good.

This, the Picasso 917 and my Thomas Earnshaw are all coming with me.

Who knows, I might have the urge to do a crossword. :D

Ian

Well I have both the 992 and Lorelei, while I do agree the 992 demo version are kind of fragile , so do the Lorelei Demo version. Both of their solid color ones are decently build, especially the acrylic Lorelei which by the material puts it at least a class ahead, but in the mean time I must say good old metal just trump them all as regard to robustness, and I have on my rotation today

Hero 320 ( Celluloid on Brass , Brown stripped )

35774350731_6e7cdc14f7_o.jpgHero-320-Brown by Mech for i, on Flickr

I happen to have also the Blue, Red, and Green stripped version also, and I am still looking for the Black stripped ones, Vintage mid 1990's , C/C , Hero's 26 sized nib ( aka no.5 for most of us ) , kind of heavy for its size.

Spare yourself the 992, unless you purchase it to use as a replacement #5 nib for another pen. The nib on the 992 is a decent nib; cheaper than purchasing a Knox #5 medium nib. Ian, is it possible to have them all?

:) Almost forgot, there is another Picasso on the way!!!!

It is JinHao 992 that bad ? I ask that because I bought two JinHao 992 a week ago . One solid green and one transparent brown cognac .

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Jinhao 601 blue medium nib.

I have a bunch of Chinese lens sitting in a box. I cleaned about 10, inked them and wrote samples. All were pretty good. The 601 was a gem. Comfortable and smooth writer. Hopefully, mine is not the exception because I ordered a silver 601. Compared to the x750,x450 etc, the 601 is small but it is a joy to use.

It is JinHao 992 that bad ? I ask that because I bought two JinHao 992 a week ago . One solid green and one transparent brown cognac .

Both of my demonstrators developed cracks. The cognac brown demonstrator cap finial broke off, and the blue has a long crack down the entire length of the cap, and a couple of small cracks on the barrel by the plug. Will use the nibs for others pens requiring a #5 nib. My solid pens have developed no cracks as of this writing. Cracking has been a problem frequently reported on the demonstrators. Some have also experienced cracking on their solid pens.

On my Coffee demo I had to super glue the top of the cap just below the clip ring. It nearly broke off completely. I'll have to glue the plug and around the end of the barrel this weekend or settle for a shattered barrel.

I have the solid color green as well and there are hairline cracks near the plug. I have to use magnification to see them, but they are there.

It's sad, but the nibs ground nicely to stubs so I will someday put them into more robust pens

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

Both of my demonstrators developed cracks. The cognac brown demonstrator cap finial broke off, and the blue has a long crack down the entire length of the cap, and a couple of small cracks on the barrel by the plug. Will use the nibs for others pens requiring a #5 nib. My solid pens have developed no cracks as of this writing. Cracking has been a problem frequently reported on the demonstrators. Some have also experienced cracking on their solid pens.

" Cracking has been a problem frequently reported on the demonstrators" You mean at Jinhao 992 demonstrators or the demonstrators fountain pens in general ? Cracking on jinhao 992 solid pens ? This is very bad ,money thrown away to the drain . :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

" Cracking has been a problem frequently reported on the demonstrators" You mean at Jinhao 992 demonstrators or the demonstrators fountain pens in general ? Cracking on jinhao 992 solid pens ? This is very bad ,money thrown away to the drain . :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Yes, I was speaking of the Jinhao 992. I spent approximately $6.86 for the 4 pens, so I'm using the nibs in other pens. By doing this, I'm not throwing money away. Purchasing another #5 nib to replace any nib I am not currently satisfied with, will cost me more than $6.86 for one new #5 nib. The nib on the 992 is a pretty smooth nib, considering the cost of the pen.

I go back and re examine my 992 demo(s) , while mine do not show any crack, the all clear version I've been experimenting with ED and the smoke one I've been using show hairline scratches all around from usage. The material on the 992 Demo are simply prone to scratches and look like also really not liking any rough handling. Am still trying to find a safe way to undo the end plug and the cap finale. Wanting to see if I can re construct some color combo.