What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

http://i.imgur.com/Wf20K3X.jpg

I picked up several "student" pens on AliExpress and this was the first to come in. I actually like it quite a bit! It took 16 days to get to the states from overseas and cost $1.21, shipped.

The feed and nib is constructed like the Pilot Varsity (it has that wick that runs through it). It writes quite smoothly and lays down a thin line, thinner than the Pilot Varsities available here - probably closer to the old V-Pens. I had my SO try it out and he was surprised by how smoothly it wrote as well. I would argue that it's quite a bit smoother than any of the <M> nibs of the Pilot Varsities I currently own.

The cap is similar to the Platinum Preppies, in that it has that that springed linger in it - I hope that means that it can keep the pen from drying out as easily. The cap snaps down with a very nice click. It's much, MUCH more secure than the cap of the Varsity.

The plastic used for both the pen and the cartridges are pretty substantial. I was actually surprised at how robust the plastic of the cartridges felt.

The only part that seems shoddy is the artwork that's on the pen. But at least that means that I can easily clean it up once it gets scuffed. I will definitely be testing it out for daily use and durability as a knock-about pen. Perhaps I'll pick up several more over the next few weeks for whenever it is that I can make it to the local Get-Togethers (hello, Pen Posse!).

Cheers!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Everyone and I mean everyone should have in their JINHAO collection a Mother of Pearl or as it is sometimes

called Abalone I have 3 that I know of and just love using and looking at them.

Help requested!!

Got another (Chinese???) pen which I cannot identify. Name on the cap is Winron 880. I have tried researching with no success (unless I'm looking in the wrong place). The pen was given to me 4 yrs ago following a CA diagnosis. It is a thin line pen, and has a plastic inner cap liner. Appears to be a #5 nib, or something slightly smaller. Has C/C. The true color is purple. In the past few days I decided to finally ink it up and found the nib to be scratchy. Required some 12000 grit micromesh smoothing. Chinese or another country?

fpn_1479907825__winron888b.jpg

fpn_1479907892__winrun880cap.jpg

fpn_1479907997__winron880nibb.jpg

Sorry Helen

I can't help you with the pen, but I do like your nautical (is it a brooch?) thing.

You have excellent taste Helen. :thumbup:

Ian

I'm sure it's a Chinese pen. Vaguely remember pens like that when I first became aware China made pens in 2008. Beyond that I know nothing about them.

Today's pens are all blue.

Top to Bottom: Baoer 508, Baoer 517, Jinhao X450.

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx356/richardandtracy/Reviews/Sdc10579a_zpsnannaplt.jpg

The Jinhao is the best by far!

The Baoers took 69 days to arrive. Of the two, the 508 is quite small, has a nib that's scratchy in one direction but is quite nice. The 517 is an odd shape. The nib was very dry, but is very rough. I ordered them in September and they have only just arrived. It will take time to get used to them.

I don't want to like the Jinhao. As a general principal I don't like cigar shaped pens, and I really dislike the FPN 2011 LE Stipula Etruria (which is the same shape), but this Jinhao is just right somehow. I love the 5 groove spiral and the lacquer. The nib is large, wet & gorgeous.

Regards,

Richard

Sorry Helen

I can't help you with the pen, but I do like your nautical (is it a brooch?) thing.

You have excellent taste Helen. :thumbup:

Ian

Thanks Ian. It is a brooch I wear with my dark blue, late 1940's flutted jacket and slacks.

I'm sure it's a Chinese pen. Vaguely remember pens like that when I first became aware China made pens in 2008. Beyond that I know nothing about them.

Today's pens are all blue.

Top to Bottom: Baoer 508, Baoer 517, Jinhao X450.

The Jinhao is the best by far!

The Baoers took 69 days to arrive. Of the two, the 508 is quite small, has a nib that's scratchy in one direction but is quite nice. The 517 is an odd shape. The nib was very dry, but is very rough. I ordered them in September and they have only just arrived. It will take time to get used to them.

I don't want to like the Jinhao. As a general principal I don't like cigar shaped pens, and I really dislike the FPN 2011 LE Stipula Etruria (which is the same shape), but this Jinhao is just right somehow. I love the 5 groove spiral and the lacquer. The nib is large, wet & gorgeous.

Regards,

Richard

:lol: You really "don't want to like those Jinhao pens", yet the "X450 is better by far." I could not agree more! It appears that the nib quality has gotten better. I love the broad nibs, for each one of mine has arrived smooth, requiring no further tweaking. I have to admit I have no problem with the cigar shape, though my tastes are eclectic. I can write for extended periods of time with both the X450 & X750. I love that #6 nib, and the flexibility in exchanging it for a stub.

Dabbling with a Hero 616. Do not normally enjoy these pens. However, thought I would ink one up and smooth it a bit. Not normally a fine nib user.

I really wish the Chinese started offering a range of nib sizes for most of their pens. It would be really nice to swap out a H616 fine & put in a broad. Then I'd use the pens. I just cannot get on with fine nibs. A medium is about as small as I like.

Todays pen, well it's a Blue Crocodile 806. Really loving the restrained colour of this pen. Nib's good too.

Regards,

Richard

http://i.imgur.com/Wf20K3X.jpg

The only part that seems shoddy is the artwork that's on the pen. But at least that means that I can easily clean it up once it gets scuffed.

Mooshi, NO! While I am happy to hear the SnoWhite stands scrutiny, the reasons for buying it at $1.21are the graphics on the pen and the explosion of the packaging!

Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M inked up with J Herbin 1670 Carob de Chypre.

If you count Taiwan (touchy, I know), then I also have a TWSBI Vac 700 EF inked up with Diamine Pumpkin and a TWSBI Eco EF with Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji.

"The Mighty Roo" and I have had a wonderful day today! Inked with Diamine Sherwood Green. (Kaigelu 316 M. Nib).

Inked a Hero 5028 to test out my new Blackstone Barrier Reef Blue ink (delivered this afternoon). Used the 1.5 stub nib. Unusual blue, with shimmer like red highlights on papyrus paper.

Mooshi, NO! While I am happy to hear the SnoWhite stands scrutiny, the reasons for buying it at $1.21are the graphics on the pen and the explosion of the packaging!

haha The actual artwork is great. :P But the application just feels really flimsy. :( It's like... foil?

This is a pen I have owned for about 9-10 yrs. I rarely ever use this pen. There is no name on the cap, barrel or nib. It is a medium nib, and actually pretty smooth with minimal feedback. The barrel reminds me of the feel of porcelain (?) As I am preparing a study on Leadership in the Home, I thought I would put this pen to work. Inked with Iroshizuku Kon Peki.fpn_1481133484__chinesepenb12716.jpg

That is a Huashilai 2210, what I regard as the world's second worst pen. I got one & did a review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/236998-huashilai-marbled-celluloid-2210/

For info, the pen I regard as the world's worst is this one: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/89856-guang-ming-812-review/ a Guang Ming 812.

My pen for the day is a Baoer 508.

Regards,

Richard.

That is a Huashilai 2210, what I regard as the world's second worst pen. I got one & did a review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/236998-huashilai-marbled-celluloid-2210/

For info, the pen I regard as the world's worst is this one: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/89856-guang-ming-812-review/ a Guang Ming 812.

My pen for the day is a Baoer 508.

Regards,

Richard.

Your review is why I rarely ink this pen up. I will say I did not experience any skipping yesterday, and was able to complete my teaching project without any problems. I did experience some flaking on the cap - quite annoying! The Guang Ming I have never heard of, and from the sounds of it, thank goodness!

A Kaigelu 316, a Wing Sung 322, a Wing Sung 233 and a Hero 616 (mk II).

Also a Jinhao x450.

The first four are brand new, the latter is not.

The 316 is really quite good - had to adjust for flow, because it wrote very dry, but that was extremely easy and took me half a minute. I'll definitely have to look into getting a replacement finial, though.
The nib looks awesome (I like the look of the Kaigelu nibs a lot) and writes quite nicely - a very broad M with this ink. The nib also has an oddly stub-like quality to it, which is rather fun.

The 322 is the first modern pen described as "celluloid" I've ever seen that actually has a celluloid barrel. It also looks exactly like those standard cheap guitar picks. Looks really lovely on a pen, though. It has an exceedingly fine nib (definitely EF), but writes surprisingly well. Relatively dry, but without any skipping whatsoever.

The 233 has an F nib and also writes relatively dry, but handles Pelikan blue-black without any skipping, which is neat. Might look into getting a bottle of Quink Blue for that pen, though - it looks very 70's, so I want a slightly old-fashioned looking ink to match.

The Hero 616 has a very smooth, fine nib. As in, surprisingly smooth. Bit of a sweet spot issue, though, which I might try to fix if it gets too annoying - hooded nibs with a sweet spot on top of that seem... difficult.
Still, lovely pen - I'm a bit worried about the section, though. It's pure, smooth white, so I'll have to be very careful not to stain that.

The x450 is the only Medium-nibbed pen inked with Pelikan bl-bk at the moment; needed that for a slightly too absorbent paper.